Event Method of Key Binding (Show/Hide HUD Example)

Started by MeVII, December 15, 2008, 06:06:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MeVII

December 15, 2008, 06:06:10 pm Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:27:07 am by MeVII
I am a screen neat freak. If I had my way, if I wasn't looking at it, it wouldn't be there. So that my whole screen is only filled with the action/environment of the game. So, naturally I wanted Blizzards HUD to have the option to both A: Be visible only when a button is held down, for quick reference, and/or B: Be turned on/off permanently with a separate button.

Blizzard in his trademark flexibility and efficiency already provided the ability to turn the HUD script on or off by calling a script command within an event, and so, these events are how I configured it to work.

The event screen shots here are specifically for the HUD system, if the script does not have a callable command for on/off enable/disable then this event is irrelevant to your needs.

However, I do believe this event architecture may have other uses for different things.

Event Screen Shots

Edit reply to post 1---Winkio is right, I overlooked the button function in the script.

winkio

you do know that he built in on-off buttons for each part of the HUD, right?  they are 'z' for the hud, 'x' for the hotkeys, and 'c' for the minimap...  (the actual letters on the keyboard...)

Blizzard

The point here is that you have to hold a button to make it visible. That feature is not included in Blizz-ABS, but MeVII encapsulated the HUD controls to make it possible. ;) *moves to event system section* xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

He actually did both: the hold part AND the on-off keys.  Just pointing out that one was already done.  The other is very useful.