Annoying explorer problem

Started by Fantasist, January 19, 2009, 07:38:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

January 19, 2009, 07:38:58 am Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:40:50 am by Fantasist
Everytime I close a window, this damn error shows up and explorer.exe restarts. Sometimes, some explorer processes won't get terminated, they're still there in the task manager consuming memory.

I don't even know where to start. Of course, it might have something to do with an improper uninstall of Visual Studio, maybe, but it's driving me crazy. :argh:
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

It's not VS's fault. Something must be wrong with explorer.exe. Try redownloading explorer.exe from the internet. Have you checked your anti-virus? You might be infected. Also it could be your Windows skin that is causing the problem.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fantasist

Changed skins back and forth to regular XP and even the 98 look. It might not be the theme.

And explorer.exe... even if I find one, how do I replace it? Ah, why did I even ask... Google is my friend :D
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Blizzard

I think it's in %ROOT%\system32. If not, try the system folder. And if you don't find it there just try the %ROOT% folder itself. It should be somewhere there.
As for getting a replacement, yes, google it.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fantasist

I googled the error message and there's something about the registry. Everything is fine, so I need to try replacing explorer. Thing is, I can't find the same version anywhere (I didn't really look hard). Do you know any site which hosts files like that? Like that <something>.com for dll files?

Blizzard

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Fantasist on January 19, 2009, 11:01:36 am
Do you know any site which hosts files like that? Like that <something>.com for dll files?
If you're trying to download a specific dll, search it on Google and surely a File DLL site contains that. I always download some of those, since I know they're safe enough.

For Explorer, all versions should be the same depending on your OS. I would give you mine but the computer I'm using at the moment is a Vista and not an XP. I wouldn't recommend downloading it for the virus risk.  :shy:

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

fugibo

Personally, I would recommend installing Ubuntu 8.04 from http://ubuntu.com/, partitioning your hdd for 10% win, 10% lin, 80% NTFS storage. Then, you can safely reinstall XP/Vista whenever you need, while all of you important stuff will be in the 80% NTFS partition. You could use Ubuntu for most of the normal stuff (Fx3, OO.org, Pidgin, yada yada are included by default -- lots of great apps available as well, like Amarok, Opera, CinePaint, Nexuiz (FPS), and if I'm not mistaken it's possible to run WoW and some EA games on it if you hack hard enough (though not very hard.), and Windows for gaming/RMXP/coding.

But, that's just me; I'm redmondose-intolerant. YMMV.

Fantasist

January 20, 2009, 07:37:21 am #8 Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:00:22 am by Fantasist
Hey WcW :D

I tried Ubuntu but... wait just an effin second! I have a laptop with XP installed...

Someone please smack me on the face -_-'

EDIT:
I forgot about this, but I tried the explorer from my laptop, no change :( And guess what, that error's coming up randomly for Opera and some programs :(
The same error popped in my laptop too and I'm getting worried.

Anyway, I had to write an exam today and when I was preparing (20 minutes before the exam :<_<: ), I read something about JIT in .NET Framework and it kind of makes sense why I keep getting that error everywhere. I'm downloading .NET now. I hope it fixes the problem.