Dissipate (A Blizz-ABS example game)

Started by winkio, January 21, 2009, 11:27:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

January 21, 2009, 11:27:06 pm Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:50:23 am by winkio
Dissipate

A Blizz-ABS example game

Concept

XAS has a flashy demo.  Blizz-ABS needs one as well.  Dissipate plans to fill the gap.

The primary approach to Dissipate is to show the full potential of every aspect of Blizz-ABS.  This includes all the game mechanics as well as sprite and animation options.  As there are so many possibilities that have yet to be seen in game, Dissipate could be a first in the demonstration of the ABS's new capabilities.  But even more than demonstrating the script, the game must be engaging, flashy (graphically intense), and above all, fun.

Features

• Will implement every part of Blizz-ABS

• Will include a large set of graphics and resources for people to use and borrow from.

• Will fully and correctly implement every feature of Blizz-ABS, even using some advanced techniques, making it a great learning and reference tool for beginners and experts alike.

Script Features (Blizz-ABS Related)
  • Custom HUD and CMS combo.

• Smart explosions: explosions do not damage allies and exploding projectlies explode when they meet their maximum range if they haven't hit a target yet.

• Sprite System Upgrades: animated defending sprites, and weapon sprites for skills and items.

• Action Recharge Times: give your skills, items, weapons, and enemies recharge times in between uses.

Story

Plesar is a land of magic.  In fact, it has been so for centuries.  But today, much of the powerful magic of past civilizations has been lost or forgotten, leaving only basic magic in use.  Societies think themselves mighty only due to ignorance of true might.  Overwhelming magical power lies dormant across the land, scattered throughout caves and ruins.  If it was ever reintroduced into society, there would surely be war.
   Creek Frental is a veteran magic hunter.  He explores the world, searching for the lost magic of past civilizations.  Creek leads a network of other magic hunters with the main objective to gather as much magic as possible and use it for the common good of the world.  This means stealing, fighting, and doing whatever it takes to make sure that powerful magic does not fall into the wrong hands.  The members of Creek's network are masters of fighting, treasure hunting, and above all, disappearing.  They must avoid detection in order to keep the secret of their magic.
   Nevertheless, there are those who find out about you, and they come after you with a vengeance.  Some are from rival magic-hunting networks.  Some are bandits wishing to sell powerful magic to the highest bidder.  The deadliest are militant groups that owe their allegiance to certain rulers.  These groups must continually be outperformed, outsmarted, and outlasted.
   You are legendary: towns across the globe tell stories of people that have supernatural powers and perform superhuman feats.  Yet due to your sudden appearances and disappearances, these stories remain fiction, not fact.  Even those who have fought hand to hand with you stand in sudden disbelief when you suddenly disappear.
   The world is not safe as long as powerful nations can use powerful magic.  Your mission is to cause this magic to dissipate.

The game storyline won't be up for a while.

Characters
Spoiler: ShowHide

Creek Frental - Creek is a man of action.  Ever since he happened upon a magic cave when he was a kid, Creek has realized the danger that magic presents if it falls into the wrong hands.  When he finished studying advanced magic at the local academy, he vanished from society and started a network of magic hunters.  Creek is now in his early thirties and while the network is still relatively small, they have made huge successes in magic hunting.

Celia Ground - Celia is an extremely intelligent and capable woman.  She helped Creek start his magic hunting network, doing all the initial planning and intelligence work.  She specializes in finding magical items from ancient lore.  Celia and Creek often work in a team.  Celia is in her late twenties.

Screenshots

Downloads
Preview:  http://winkio.heliohost.org/DissipatePreview.exe (Uses Blizz-ABS 2.55) Released 8/1/09 Updated 8/2/09 with bugfixes.
Demo 1: not released yet
Full Game: not released yet

Projected Play Time:
Preview: 0:30
Demo 1: 1:15
Full Game: 4:00

Credits
  • winkio - creator of the game, main developer.

• Blizzard - created Blizz-ABS and supported it as the game progressed.

• Aqua - made the weapon icons and helped turning a few of them into attack sprites.

Testing Crews:
  • Preview - Aqua, Subsonic_Noise

fugibo

If your willing to spend the time learning it, a version control system such as CVS or SVN could prove useful.

Though, since even I can use neither...

winkio

Shadonking

here is a charcter from zero face http://rmrk.net/index.php?topic=26016.0

the attack sprites or set up for the old version of the abs but that is simple to change.

also i do have a recolure of it is you wanted

Creator Of Music And Games
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

Blizzard

January 22, 2009, 07:20:05 am #4 Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 07:21:45 am by Blizzard
I love you, winkio. <3 *3 powerups at once :O*

I think that 30 is not enough to show Blizz-ABS awesomeness except if you have a larger party (i.e. 4) which have various skill types distributed. I can only hope that CoSLAL EXA will use 80% of the current Blizz-ABS's features with 1 hours of gameplay. :/ I'm also thinking of implementing a cool HUD whose code I will obfuscate so nobody can mod and use it. >:3

Also, SVN is great if you have more than one developer. Otherwise it's not as useful.

And don't forget that the sprite templates have been altered.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

Oh yes, I plan to take full advantage of that.  In fact, I plan to have a skill where the character dances in a circle around the enemy, swinging their sword wildly, with random flames and shit popping out XD  Just for reference, If I want extra frames for the sprites, and just add them to the right side, changing the width, not the height, correct?  Then just configure in the app?

And your right!  Looking back over the manual, this is going to be longer than 30 minutes...

Anyways, right now, I need a story and character, so anybody who wants to give any suggestions may feel free to.  The main characters don't have to be RTP, neither do the enemies/villains, because there will be a lot of BABS spriting for them.  NPC's, however, should be RTP.

So: Story and characters. (3-4 party members, 1-3 villains)

Blizzard

Yes, only adding to the width and configuring it all in the app.

I still have that idea about a contract killer for a game to spare. o.o;

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

legacyblade

I can pose the sprites for you! What style of sprite poses are you using? Please don't say you're doing them like the bABS ones. (I can do those, but they're horribly boring to watch in game)

Blizzard

For God's sake, don't do those. #_# Make your own poses. My poses were merely some quick edits in Photoshop to show what Blizz-ABS can do not how it necessary has to look like. #_#

winkio

January 22, 2009, 05:33:28 pm #9 Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:45:40 pm by winkio
Yes LB, not like the example ones.  I'm talking about flashy ones, with full actions and realistic movements.  Example: a vertical, horizontal, and diagonal sword slashes (with facial expressions?)  Also, I'm planning for the character to move slightly during animation, like if he is doing a quick attack, he can run a few pixels forward, slash, and then hop back.  But yeah, make them however you want, feel free to be as creative as you want, I'm sure it will be great.

@Blizz: up to you if you want me to use that story idea.

EDIT: Also, about that "every feature" of the Blizz-ABS: one very nice feature that isn't used is skill/item sprites.  It wouldn't have to be too much, just a little something that is unique to each skill/item. 

I do realize that this is a lot of graphics work, so we shall decide how much to put into them as we go along.  To help with logistics, I'm looking at 2-3 weapons per actor, 5-10 skills per actor, and 5-15 items in total (useable ones, that is).  What may be worse are the enemies, but we will take care of that when we get there.

legacyblade

Alright, glad no one is using the crappy bABS attack sprites, XD And I'd love to do some of the posing. PM me some assignments!

winkio

Err... yeah, first we need to decide on a plot and a Title.  Then, once we decide the main characters, I'll build the database of weapons, skills, and items.  Then, it will be graphics time!

Hopefully I can get enough interest in this that other people can work on the spriting little by little while I map/event/script.  The goal is to get the basics done as quickly as possible so that we can put as much time into its flashiness as possible.

Blizzard

Quote from: legacyblade on January 22, 2009, 06:11:29 pm
Alright, glad no one is using the crappy bABS attack sprites, XD And I'd love to do some of the posing. PM me some assignments!

You mean CoSLAL sprites. xD

@winkio. It's up to you if you wanna use it. ;) It's basically that you're a contract killer and get some weird contract. The story is told as past experience of the contract killer. It's just some basic idea, I didn't think of a plot yet. Or another idea would be a private detective ala Max Payne style with an interesting assignment.

winkio

January 23, 2009, 05:46:22 pm #13 Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:00:04 pm by winkio
Nah, I think I'll go with my own idea:

You, [insert main character's name here], are a magic hunter.  You basically are an archaeologist/fighter/mage adventure guy who goes around searching for the lost magic of past civilizations.  The plot could go one of two ways: either you get involved with something far bigger than you ever imagined (cliched =/) or it is just an account of your many adventures, with the main objective to gather as much magic as possible and use it for the common good of the world covertly(i like it better).  Either way, you meet people who join up with you along the way and help you on your quest.

Possible titles could be: "Dissipate", "Magic Seekers", "Scavengers of Hope", or "The Forgotten" / "Forgotten"

what do people think?

Landith

I really like it.

It's a lot better than mine, which really isn't saying much since I don't really have an active imagination  :uhm: But it's still great! Makes me interested in it.
I like the second plot better than the first one. Are you going to make it where what you do decides your plot? I think that would be really cool lol

I also like the name "Dissipate", it sounds more interesting.
Just throwing that out there...  :^_^':

winkio

January 24, 2009, 12:47:17 pm #15 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:59:00 pm by winkio
Agreed and thanks for the feedback! :)

Now I have to develop the story and put it in a context, make a short storyboard, and development can begin!

G_G

January 24, 2009, 10:37:50 pm #16 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:39:53 pm by game_guy
Winkio this would be awesome.

BABS beats XAS again. I always did like the XAS flashy demo and I started using it because of the flashiness. Then I found BABS one of the first versions it was 1.8  I believe. And I just stuck with it because of the guide and it was easy to configure.

So yea a flashy BABS example game would be awesome and attract more people to use it. So good luck Winkio. If you need any eventing help I'll do as much as I can but currently I'm in a project. (Look at my signature) But if you need help maybe with a custom menu system or some eventing I'll help!

Diokatsu

I'd be happy to provide story ideas, now that IT is gone. I hope my less "imaginative" ideas will suffice though

winkio

Uh.. it's a bit too late for that.  I already decided on a story and am just finishing rounding it completely out.  Thanks for the offer, though.

@game_guy: hmm... I will probably be able to use you for one of those.  I'll let you know once the first part of the mapping is finished. :)

Aqua

*is willing to help*

Um... I'm good with configging Blizz-ABS and... errr...
I like making Blizz-ABS add-ons XD