Proof

Started by tSwitch, February 02, 2009, 09:55:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Diokatsu

Quote from: NAMKCOR on February 03, 2009, 11:32:37 pm
Quote from: Diokatsu on February 03, 2009, 08:38:24 pm
Something exists. It might not be any of us, but somewhere something does exist.

thank you for agreeing with me.

I still think this subject is stupid. NOT a philosophy forum.

fugibo

Then the subject isn't stupid, the placement is. I'm not downing you, Dio, I'm trying to get you to stop you're senselessness. No topic can possibly be stupid, only an idiot's (or an uneducated, inebriated, or otherwise inhibited person's) on it. A topic itself can't possibly be stupid. Please, if you're gonna post in intelligent debate, keep it cool :/

Diokatsu

Alright, but I'm asking Blizz to start a philosophy forum. Seeing as all you guys seem to like this kind of thing, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

tSwitch

Quote from: WcW on February 04, 2009, 05:38:39 pm
That was my point, NAMK :( I said that you had to exist because something has to concieve you no matter what, and thus you have to exist.

my point wasn't whether or not I exist, but whether or not -you- do.

Quote from: Diokatsu on February 04, 2009, 08:08:13 pm
Alright, but I'm asking Blizz to start a philosophy forum. Seeing as all you guys seem to like this kind of thing, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

philosophy is a perfectly fine debate topic.
I don't see why you have your panties all in a wad.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

fugibo

Okay, now this is gonna flamish. If I were a mod, that's were this'd get locked :(

And oops. Well, whether or not I exist, you still exist in some way, and since I'm related to you via this forum, I exist by extension. We all exist :P

Diokatsu

Quote from: NAMKCOR on February 04, 2009, 10:22:13 pm
philosophy is a perfectly fine debate topic.
I don't see why you have your panties all in a wad.

This isn't debate NAMK...THis is you trying to make everyone see something you found was interesting. Debate requires two arguable sides.

winkio

Let's stop arguing semantics.  Philosophy is close enough to intelligent debate for it to be in the same forum.  Dio, if you feel so inclined, then just don't respond.  NAMK, don't egg him on.  Now back to the question at hand...

Existence is such a weird term.  The human mind exists only as a bunch of cells made of common elements.  Yet somehow, a consciousness comes out of it, which can imagine things that don't exist.  The question is: do you, NAMK, actually exist?  Or are you just a bunch of cells going about their methodical duty?  Are you seperate from your matter?

(sorry for taking it in a new direction, but I though it would be more productive than arguing)

fugibo

@winkio: I think he's trying to get us to prove that our cells are real  :o

tSwitch

Quote from: WcW on February 04, 2009, 10:33:37 pm
Okay, now this is gonna flamish. If I were a mod, that's were this'd get locked :(

And oops. Well, whether or not I exist, you still exist in some way, and since I'm related to you via this forum, I exist by extension. We all exist :P

Spoiler: ShowHide

Quote from: winkio on February 04, 2009, 11:59:42 pm
Existence is such a weird term.  The human mind exists only as a bunch of cells made of common elements.  Yet somehow, a consciousness comes out of it, which can imagine things that don't exist.  The question is: do you, NAMK, actually exist?  Or are you just a bunch of cells going about their methodical duty?  Are you seperate from your matter?

by your model, existence seems to be mutually exclusive from matter, i.e. a soul.
I'm afraid debating the existence of a soul is cause for another topic, as it would most likely become spiritual/religious really quickly.

now, assuming I am simply a bunch of cells going about my methodical duty, I still have awareness and consciousness, and cannot deny my own existence, as I can think, move, feel, etc... entirely independently and by my own will.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr