Philosophy

Started by winkio, February 02, 2009, 06:14:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

Ok, there has been an increased number of philosophical threads in here lately, and I don't think any of you know what you are getting into.

Posing unanswerable questions with very specific parameters does nothing (example: Prove to me that you exist).  Why?  Because you can simply pose the counter-question (in this case: prove to yourself that I DON'T exist), and it pretty much nullifies the question.  Little good ever comes of these questions in general.  What you should be focusing on are more important questions in the modern world (like Sharing is Caring).  No matter how much you argue those other pointless questions out, you will never get an answer that has more than an inkling or relevance to your life.

Now, the real point of this thread is to Intelligently Debate how to philosophize.  From what I can tell, this is how it works:

1.  Central question: this is something that you seek to answer using philosophy.  It is not simply a "why" but also involves a "how", an understanding.
2.  Argument: in this part, you make various arguments to try and answer the central question.  These arguments must try and explain a phenomenon in reality.
3.  Check: If your arguments make sense and have clear evidence in reality, proceed.  If not, try and prove them.  If you can't, re-do step 2.
4.  Completion: You have arrived at an answer to your central question.  Now, you can use the wisdom you have gained through the process of answering it to DO something...

Blizzard

"Sharing is caring" is in intelligent debate?! I'm moving this thing out right away.
As for the Existence thread... Hm, isn't that thread a philosophy on itself?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

Quote from: winkio on February 02, 2009, 06:14:27 pm
From what I can tell, this is how it works:

err yes, but nobody seems to have noticed that except you :^_^':
Maybe I should change the title to "Why do you philosophize?"

tSwitch

philosophy has no point and needs no point
it is thought for the sake of thought
simply because something is there to be thought about.

philosophy produces no tangible use or end, it's simply thought.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

winkio

Everything has a point and needs a point.  some philosophies also commonly offer an opinion on how to live your life.  Which have even more of a point...

Blizzard

Philosophy is more of a way to think, not a thought on itself.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

tSwitch

I don't see why everything in life has to have a point.

Blizzard

Actually everything does have a point. It's just that some the majority of them doesn't seem to make sense.

tSwitch

Quote from: Blizzard on February 04, 2009, 06:27:37 am
Actually everything does have a point. It's just that some the majority of them doesn't seem to make sense.

why does life exist?
what point does life have?

winkio

the point of life is to survive. duh.  That's why we have evolution.  To make life survive better.

What's the point of survival?  It has one, I just don't think anyone on Earth knows it...

tSwitch

Quote from: winkio on February 04, 2009, 05:38:36 pm
the point of life is to survive. duh.  That's why we have evolution.  To make life survive better.

What's the point of survival?  It has one, I just don't think anyone on Earth knows it...

so the point of living is to live.
that's circular logic.

like saying god exists because he is god.

winkio

life, as a whole, is the collection of biological organisms that, as far as we know, only inhabit the Earth.  Living, or survival, is what life was designed to do.  And it was designed to do it well, I might add.

tSwitch

Quote from: winkio on February 05, 2009, 12:01:40 am
life, as a whole, is the collection of biological organisms that, as far as we know, only inhabit the Earth.  Living, or survival, is what life was designed to do.  And it was designed to do it well, I might add.

Quote from: NAMKCOR on February 04, 2009, 10:22:45 pm
so the point of living is to live.
that's circular logic.

like saying god exists because he is god.

Daxisheart

February 05, 2009, 09:22:22 pm #13 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:25:06 pm by Daxisheart
The point of life is, technically, not to live, but to reproduce.

Why worship god? Just because he created all of us, is that good? Sacrifice for him? Die for him? Let him kill off as many of us as much as he wants, just cause he created him? Believing in good/bad is basically facism, only since that's the norm, it isn't.

The normal man that lives, has fun, marries, has kids, grows up, and then dies in a bed( or on a bloody, bloody field after chopping off a couple heads and then seeing those half nekkid war chicks swoop down on you for you vikings out there), he needs no philosophy. Philosophy is basically a recommended waste of time that makes us think and divert us form the main goal of life: Reproduction.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant, just because he created us
"Oh hey look godless stuff": ShowHide
What is really, really interesting is that while Abrahamic Christians give so much importance to their own free will, by their very definition of their God they deprive Him of free will.
The concept that He is not human and thus not derive the same morals as us really does not work. If his idea of morality, good or evil, is beyond us, is beyond our comprehension, why should we care? If he judges that not saving a woman from being raped a murdered a moral decision, then we should still trust him?
god i am such an atheist asshole.

I am on such a coolkid atheist rampage this week.

winkio

First, I would disagree that the main point of life is not reproduction, but survival: reproduction is only one of the means by which it survives.

I'm not going into religion, but everyone else can feel free to.

Everyone has a philosophy.  Even you.  Deal with it.

tSwitch

Pokol DaErran

On the topic of the point of life, my opinion is that nothing has a point.  Everything is pointless.  And that's exactly the way it should be.

After all, if there was one specific objective that all life was designed to carry out, people would all be robots who wanted to solely do one thing while ignoring everything else.  However, if everything is pointless, people are free to do whatever they want, because there's nothing they have to be doing.

I don't know about you, but I like that ideal.
"...Sometimes, the impossible can become possible- if you're awesome!"
--Bolt

Daxisheart

I KNOW that that ideal is correct, that nothing matters... but people seem to take that the wrong way. Especially the rapists and discriminators in this world. Why can't you just live your life for fun? People just can't do that; there has to be a point, and everyone must be wrong, or people must be hurt... it sucks...
"Oh hey look godless stuff": ShowHide
What is really, really interesting is that while Abrahamic Christians give so much importance to their own free will, by their very definition of their God they deprive Him of free will.
The concept that He is not human and thus not derive the same morals as us really does not work. If his idea of morality, good or evil, is beyond us, is beyond our comprehension, why should we care? If he judges that not saving a woman from being raped a murdered a moral decision, then we should still trust him?
god i am such an atheist asshole.

I am on such a coolkid atheist rampage this week.

Vell

Daxis no 'Ideal' is correct. you live your life for fun, I on the other hand personally enjoy picking my brain and finding odd thoughts. The only meaning to life, the only point to existence, is the one you give. this is MY truth, doesn't mean it's yours.