{RESOLVED} Script ordering problem

Started by shdwlink1993, January 20, 2008, 12:14:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

shdwlink1993

I know that I've only posted twice and it's about getting help for something, but I typically don't ask for help, so... yea. I'm not good at scripting...

OK. Onto the point. I know that there is a sort of solution to this problem in the Script Database, but this is a bit too complicated to use that. I need to know in what order (as a general rule) scripts should go in. There is a very good reason for this. I've been trying to compile a sort of script template so that come next project idea, I don't have to check if it's already in a previous one and if it isn't go hunt for some text file or demo from some website. I've been doing this for some time, and this file is over a megabyte (The RTP is about 127KB) in size and I've completely forgotten how to organize these things! (Well, I never knew completely to begin with. I'm still a bit of a noob. Sorry if this is a really dumb question someone's already asked) If someone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

PS. If it is needed, i'll write the Script List out. I'm that desperate.

PPS. I'm not worried about the fact that I have 5 CMS, and three of them are different StormTronics, so there's no way it'll launch. When I use it, I can just delete the unused files. I just need it so that when I delete the files, I don't have to tinker around trying to get the order perfect.
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Blizzard

It depends everything on the scripts you use. I suggest you read this topic regarding my scripts. I also suggest that you remove the scripts that you won't use (especially the older StromTronics CMS versions/editions >.< ) and get the script versions of the scripts you use that are most up to date.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

shdwlink1993

Sorry. When I said the solution of sorts in the Script Database, I was referring to that topic you just showed me. That doesn't help much, because I'm not just using your scripts. A ton came from SephirothSpawn, and theres a lot of odds and ends all over the place. I just need to know in what order they go in. The reason I have these 5 CMS files is that if I want something different, I can change it. Basically, i'm going to use the finished file as a template. A template with a lot of scripts that I can decide if I need or not in the game.

If you need a list of scripts i'm using, i'll be happy to write it. If there's a word limit it might take 4 or 5 posts but...
Stuff I've made:

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Blizzard

There is a character limit of 20000 characters, yes. Best is you put the scripts like this:

• very special scripts like F12 fix by Zeriab or my Resource Tester
  • default scripts
  • SDK
  • other SDK scripts that Seph's
  • Seph's scripts
  • other custom scripts
  • my scripts

But when I think about it... 1MB really is a lot. As if you get every possible script that exists. >.< I suggest you don't add all scripts at once. Add a few and see how it works, test them. If it works fine, add another one. If it doesn't remove it for now and try adding another. At the end you should have a list of working scripts.

Just today I had to fix something for mumerus and he had LOADS of scripts in his file. All of them seemed to work fine, though, after I fixed the problem he had. I'd say post of list of script names and their authors, not the whole scripts. I could give you a starting configuration from which you can start out. And I suggest that you don't use multiple scripts of the same function (like 2 or more CMSes) as those are very likely to mess up each other.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

shdwlink1993

January 20, 2008, 01:51:27 pm #4 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 01:53:34 pm by shdwlink1993
OK. I was thinking the word limit was a little less. Phew. Heres the list in it's current order:

Resource Tester - Blizzard
Default Scripts - Enterbrain (A few edits here and there. Most of them are very minor)
SDK and MACL - I got them today. I hope their current!
Caldaron's Time - Caldaron
Blur Screenshot - SephirothSpawn
File Error Fix & Log - SephirothSpawn
File Use Log - SephirothSpawn
Map Screenshot Maker - SephirothSpawn
Mouse Selectable Windows - SephirothSpawn
Multiple Animations - SephirothSpawn
Multiple Damages - SephirothSpawn
Stat Bonus Base - SephirothSpawn
Virtual Database - SephirothSpawn
Tilemap (Basic) - SephirothSpawn
Tilemap (Flash Data) - SephirothSpawn
Tilemap (Extra Autotiles) - SephirothSpawn
Actor Stat Bonuses - SephirothSpawn
Analog Movement - SephirothSpawn
Auto-Save System - SephirothSpawn
Character Class Graphics - SephirothSpawn
Character Icon Graphics - SephirothSpawn
Character Sprite Frame Change - SephirothSpawn
Class Based Stats - SephirothSpawn
Class Support - SephirothSpawn
Damage Reductions - SephirothSpawn
Encounter Control - SephirothSpawn
Enhanced Item Parameters - SephirothSpawn
Enemy Troops Extender - SephirothSpawn
Equipment Autostates - SephirothSpawn
Event Collision Detection - SephirothSpawn
Extra Terrains - SephirothSpawn
Mapping Layers - SephirothSpawn
Multiple BGMS - SephirothSpawn
Multiple Poison Effects - SephirothSpawn
Save Event Locations - SephirothSpawn
Skills Use Element Set - SephirothSpawn
Skills Use Items - SephirothSpawn
Sound Interaction System - SephirothSpawn
SP Cost Modifiers - SephirothSpawn
Sprite Blink Colors - SephirothSpawn
Stat Skills - SephirothSpawn
Unarmed Stats & Development - SephirothSpawn
Animated Battlebacks - SephirothSpawn
Enhanced BattleStatus Window - SephirothSpawn
Event Icon and Text Display - SephirothSpawn
Perspective Sprites - SephirothSpawn
Scroll Status Display - SephirothSpawn
Skill Learn Display - SephirothSpawn
State Pops - SephirothSpawn
BGL Skills - SephirothSpawn
Learn Skills from Items - SephirothSpawn
Skill Mana System - SephirothSpawn
Dymanic Enemies - SephirothSpawn
Dymanic Enemies Actions - SephirothSpawn
Dymanic Enemies Drops - SephirothSpawn
Game Difficulty - SephirothSpawn
Game Difficulty (Alt) - SephirothSpawn
Advanced Title Screen - SephirothSpawn
Action Encounters - SephirothSpawn
Battle Simulator - SephirothSpawn
Keyword Encyclopedia - SephirothSpawn
Multiple Languages - SephirothSpawn
Party Switcher + Extra Parties - SephirothSpawn
Quick Treasure Chest - SephirothSpawn
WorldMap Teleporter - SephirothSpawn
Battle Equipping - SephirothSpawn
Battle Escaping - SephirothSpawn
Battle Leaders - SephirothSpawn
Battle Switching - SephirothSpawn
Dynamic Defending - SephirothSpawn
Escaping Cost - SephirothSpawn
Battle Command Memory - SephirothSpawn
Draw HP, SP, & EXP as Percents - SephirothSpawn
On Map Party Cycler - SephirothSpawn
Materia System - SephirothSpawn
Sphere Grid System - SephirothSpawn
Caldaron's Battle - Caldaron
Lots of Addons - Blizzard
Custom Menu Systems
Action Battle Systems
Message Scripts
Multi Starting Points - Fantasist
Save File Slots - Polraudio
Anti Lag Script - Near Fantastica
Advanced Time System - Near Fantastica/Dubealex
Fishing Script - ShadowClan Technologies
Gradient Bars - AcedentProne
Cheats Input Screen - BudsieBuds
Mode07 - mewsterus
Virtual Fish/Pet System - DustCollector (I think...)
Equipment Requirement System - NAMKCOR
- Scene_Equip - NAMKCOR
Mining Script - ShadowClan Technologies
Crafting System - Leon
Banking System - SephirothSpawn
Dialog System - Zeriab
- Yes/No Dialog - Zeriab
Weather Script - ccoa
Leon's Mission Script - Leon
Leon's Change Map Troop - Leon
Elemental Attack Accessories - Leon
Battle Result - A3D
Attack Without Weapon - Sephirothtds
Map Stats and Info System - Dubealex
Language - elbrunito
Mouse Coordinates  - Guedez/Tsunokiette
Keyboard Script - Cybersam
Keyboard Input Module - Near Fantastica
Text_Input - cybersam
Path Finding - Near Fantastica
Scene_Map Addition - Tsunokiette
Swimming - ToriVerly
Credits - Original Creator Unknown/MiDas Mike
Personality Engine - Near Fantastica/AcedentProne
Information Database - Nakate
Chaos Rage Limit System - Blizzard
Scene_SoulRage - Blizzard
Soul Force Combo System - Blizzard
Advanced Analyze System - Blizzard
Bestiary - Blizzard
Chaos Project Debug System - Blizzard
Dynamic Day and Night System - Blizzard
DREAM for Music Files - Blizzard
DREAM for Save Files - Blizzard
Easy Party Switcher - Blizzard
Easy LvlUp Notifier - Blizzard
Custom Stat Growing System - Blizzard
Stat Distribution System - Blizzard
RO Job/Skill System - Blizzard
Full Reflection System - Blizzard
Blizz-ABSEAL - Blizzard
Main

Phew. Sorry that took so long.

PS. I'm not sure you are quite getting this: The reason I have 3 ABS systems and a bunch of scripts that only work with the normal system in the same group is so I can use this scripts file as a template for other projects, omit unneeded scripts, and be done with it rather than go hunting gooses over the internet for scripts or demos for them. It's just easier for me (especially since my internet connection is lackluster at best). The idea is not for this script file to launch. The idea is that I just delete (not move scripts all over the place) unneeded scripts and get it working. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. It's probably not a very common thing.
Stuff I've made:

Fantasist

January 20, 2008, 02:07:09 pm #5 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 02:08:26 pm by Fantasist
O_o
That's a huge list! I recommend you just save the scripts in txt files or just save the web pages if you want some other info in the respective topics. That's what I do, so I don't have to hunt the scripts down when I make a new project. I have almost all the scripts in the list in the form of txt files, web pages and demos in my comp.

Anyway, for starters, Multiple Starting Points should be the first among custom scripts. I recommend you actually place it just below Scene_Title. But seriously, this is nothing like I've ever seen before!

EDIT: Sorry if I sounded rude, I'm just surprised (O.O')
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

shdwlink1993

@Fantasist: I considered doing that, and then I realized that if this many scripts are a big deal, it would be a ton worse if I had to sift through 130 text files to get there. Also, that's how most of these scripts got here in the first place. I just think it'd work better for me.

Also, don't worry about the rude thing. I was expecting much worse than "That's a huge list!"

And thank you for the MSP pointer. I'll get right on it.
Stuff I've made:

Fantasist

Yeah, but how many scripts do you consider 'must have' when you make a new project? For me, it's Blizzard's Resource Tester, Tons of Addons, CP Debugger, Zeriab's F12 Fix, and some custom things of my own. I also wanted other things by Blizzard, but didn't make them defalt for compatibility reason.

BTW, since you're using SDK, most of Seph's scripts should work without much problem. For ordering Seph's scripts, you could look at his testbed and check the order. Since most are by Seph, that should help. And I forgot to ask, does the current order give you any problems? If not, just leave them right there. You see, there's no general rule for script order for so many scripts, it depends on each script and only a scripter can really decide the perfect way for all to work together. I say this because with so many scripts, some scripts HAVE to be edited a bit to work perfectly and it might not be easy too. Here's another idea, just comment out scripts that give you a problem. You can worry about getting them to work for each individual project if the problem persists after you delete unneeded ones.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

shdwlink1993

@Fantasist: Where do you think I got all of Seph's scripts? ;D

Yes, you do have a point. Possibly several. Editing the scripts is probably the best bet to get them to work. Also (sorry that this has been so infuriatingly confusing. I've even changed how I'm going to get this to work. That's a sure sign of brooding insanity.) the idea of this is this: Open a new project in one RPGXP instance, and the Script Library in the other. Find what I need, and Copy and Paste into the new project. But, yes. I admit that I have way too many scripts. Especially when you realize that I was condensing it "slightly" by omitting over 100 scripts (ATB, CMS, and the "A few edits here and there" line). The scary thing is that I think that is slightly condensing. It's still a humongous list. The goal is to make it so I can copy and paste into a new project without having to fiddle with everything to get the order right. The only thing you could count as scripting I've done is editing Blizz-ATB so that a few extra options appeared in the pre-menu. Yea. That's it. Hence why I ask for help.
Stuff I've made:

Fantasist

So you edited the Blizz-ABS pre-menu to show more options? I don't see why that would cause a problem.

QuoteOpen a new project in one RPGXP instance, and the Script Library in the other. Find what I need, and Copy and Paste into the new project.

Or, you can make the large scripts.rxdata the default one. When you make a new project, delete the ones that you don't need. Depends on how mant scripts you consider a must. You can do this if you want more tham half of the scripts in a new project, deleting scripts in one project is faster than copying from a different instance.

shdwlink1993

QuoteOr, you can make the large scripts.rxdata the default one.

Hehehe... that was my original idea for it.

QuoteSo you edited the Blizz-ABS pre-menu to show more options? I don't see why that would cause a problem.

Oh, I'm not saying anything about causing problems. I'm saying thats just about all the scripting (typing the script out, not finding them) i've done. Aside from when yours wouldn't work. Part of it was that a different script below yours was basically a copy and paste of Scene_Title with about 3 lines difference. I moved the lines into Title, deleted the one it made, and... yea. I'm just saying that that's all the scripting I've done for this.
Stuff I've made:

Fantasist

Well then. Are you satisfied now :)

You know, I did exactly the same thing you did way back, and I have a good collection of scripts too. What I realized was that when saw a new script, I felt like using it in my game, but I realized that I can't use too many scripts just because they're good. I decided to start raw and add scripts as I felt the need. Some scripts are not 'needed', they just give more flare to games. When I decide to use scripts like that, I give preference to simple ones unless I really want them.

Blizzard

January 20, 2008, 03:58:17 pm #12 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 04:02:32 pm by Blizzard
Alright, I took a look at your list and made you a list what you should/shouldn't use and so on. When you have decided what you want and what not, post a list and I will see what should work from the beginning on.

Those here have the same functions.

Animated Battlebacks - SephirothSpawn & Animated Battle Background in Tons of Add-ons
SP Cost Modifiers - SephirothSpawn & PROBABLY SP Cost Mod in Tons of Add-ons
Dymanic Enemies Drops - SephirothSpawn PROBABLY Multi-Drop in Tons of Add-ons (If you need that, sure, but people usually don't.)
Enhanced BattleStatus Window - SephirothSpawn & PROBABLY Window_BattleStatus Add-on in Tons of Add-ons
Skill Learn Display - SephirothSpawn & INCLUDED in Easy LvlUp Notifier by Blizzard
Game Difficulty - SephirothSpawn (OR Game Difficulty (Alt) - SephirothSpawn) & Different Difficulties in Tons of Add-ons
Party Switcher + Extra Parties - SephirothSpawn & Easy Party Switcher by Blizzard
Leon's Change Map Troop - Leon & PROBABLY Encounter Control - SephirothSpawn
Credits - Original Creator Unknown/MiDas Mike & INCLUDED in Tons of Add-ons (Actually it's not included, but the Picture Movie Scene might be more useful. Again, it depends on what that Credits script does.)
Gradient Bars - AcedentProne & Blizz-Art Gradient Styler in Tons of add-ons (Depends on which style you like more.)
Battle Result - A3D && Easy LvlUp Notifier - Blizzard (Depends on the style you like more.)
Keyboard Script - Cybersam & Keyboard Input Module - Near Fantastica (Basically the same, aren't they? Use it only if you want stuff like custom controls and/or configurable and have the appropriate scripts. Otherwise I don't really see a point in using them.)

Those are scripts that you should use or that are at least very useful.

Default Scripts - Enterbrain (In any case. xD)
Caldaron's Time - Caldaron (Do you need something like that?)
Multiple Animations - SephirothSpawn (Only if you need it, people rarely do.)
Virtual Database - SephirothSpawn (If you need something like this, people rarely do.)
Analog Movement - SephirothSpawn (If you want that in your game, use it.)
Auto-Save System - SephirothSpawn (If you want that in your game, use it, but only if it's a script that saves automatically, not one that calls the save screen, because this can be done with one event command.)
Character Class Graphics - SephirothSpawn (Most probably incompatible with many CMS-es and other custom menus.)
Character Icon Graphics - SephirothSpawn (Most probably incompatible with many CMS-es and other custom menus.)
Class Based Stats - SephirothSpawn (If you have a custom job/class system this can come quite in handy.)
Enhanced Item Parameters - SephirothSpawn (If you really something like that.)
Equipment Autostates - SephirothSpawn (If you need more than one auto-state, sure, use it.)
Skills Use Items - SephirothSpawn (Do you need that?)
Learn Skills from Items - SephirothSpawn (ONLY if it allows to select the actor who should learn it. Otherwise, use events.)
Materia System - SephirothSpawn (Do you want to make yet another copy of FFVII?)
Sphere Grid System - SephirothSpawn (Or do you want to make a copy of FFX?)
Tons of Addons - Blizzard (Depends on what you need. Usually a good choice.)
Custom Menu Systems (A must, but you need to decide which.)
Action Battle Systems (Either that or some other CBS.)
Message Scripts (If you want a fancy message system, use one of them.)
Multi Starting Points - Fantasist (If you have a need for it, use it. You can make it with events, but it won't look that nice.)
Advanced Time System - Near Fantastica/Dubealex (If you need something like that, sure.)
Virtual Fish/Pet System - DustCollector (If you need it.)
Crafting System - Leon (If you want that feature for your game, sure. Or you can wait for my Creation System.)
Dialog System - Zeriab (Makes some thing maybe easier. But you might wanna stick to the evented version.)
Leon's Mission Script - Leon (Like a quest log? Do you need that?)
Chaos Rage Limit System - Blizzard (Do you want that?)
Scene_SoulRage - Blizzard (If you want to spice up CLRS, sure, use it.)
Soul Force Combo System - Blizzard (If you want to spice up CLRS, sure, use it.)
Custom Stat Growing System - Blizzard (Do you need something like that?)
Stat Distribution System - Blizzard (It is a pretty popular system.)
RO Job/Skill System - Blizzard (Made on request, you might find it useful.)

Those here scripts that can be usually added/removed whenever you feel like it You don't have to decide from the beginning if you wanna use them.

Resource Tester - Blizzard (Use it when you're done with your game.)
Map Screenshot Maker - SephirothSpawn (Who needs that? But you can add it anytime without problems if you find a need for it.)
Sprite Blink Colors - SephirothSpawn (See the above.)
Scroll Status Display - SephirothSpawn (You can add it anytime you want.)
Dymanic Enemies - SephirothSpawn (Could add some spice to your game later.)
Dymanic Enemies Actions - SephirothSpawn (Same as above, but could lead to inconsistency.)
Advanced Title Screen - SephirothSpawn (You can change your title whenever you want. Actually if it's just animated, you have that in Tons of Add-ons, too.)
Keyword Encyclopedia - SephirothSpawn (You can add it whenever you feel the need for it.)
Battle Equipping - SephirothSpawn (If you want that, sure.)
Battle Switching - SephirothSpawn (Be careful if you decide to use this, it might lead to inconsistency in your game.)
Escaping Cost - SephirothSpawn (Adding spice to the game. You can do it anytime.)
Battle Command Memory - SephirothSpawn (Functionality add-on. Might wanna know that it could cause incompatibility issues.)
Draw HP, SP, & EXP as Percents - SephirothSpawn (You can add it whenever you want. Might cause problems with menus and CMS-es.)
Save File Slots - Polraudio (If you want that, go on.)
Fishing Script - ShadowClan Technologies (I suppose this would make a nice minigame. You can add it later.)
Cheats Input Screen - BudsieBuds (Add it afterwards if you want that feature.)
- Scene_Equip - NAMKCOR (Sure, a visual add-on is always good. Too bad that most CMS-es are incompatible. Actually StromTronics v5.0b is...)
Mining Script - ShadowClan Technologies (Would make a nice minigame.)
Weather Script - ccoa (Adds some nice effects and atmosphere. You can always add it if you want, you will only have to do minor edits to make it work.)
Elemental Attack Accessories - Leon (You can add it anytime. It can be pretty useful for custom equipment systems, but does it work with them?)
Attack Without Weapon - Sephirothtds (Do you need that? You can add it anytime.)
Map Stats and Info System - Dubealex (Nice visual enhancement if you need it. Could lead to inconsistency, I mean who needs i.e. a gold display on the map if it can be seen via on button press in the menu?)
Text_Input - cybersam (Need that?)
Information Database - Nakate (You can add it whenever you feel like it.)
Advanced Analyze System - Blizzard (One skill doesn't mean the world. If you have a need for it, you can add it whenever you want.)
Bestiary - Blizzard (Nice extra. Can be useful, but it's not really necessary.)
Chaos Project Debug System - Blizzard (Can come very in handy during debug. Otherwise I'd say you don't need it.)
Dynamic Day and Night System - Blizzard (Need it?)
DREAM for Music Files - Blizzard (Encrypts your music, can be used just before the release of your game. I suggest, you use it only if you don't want anybody to steal your music.)
DREAM for Save Files - Blizzard (Encrypts save files, use it if you want prevent people from hacking their savegames. Can be added anytime, but will render old savegames unusable.)
Blizz-ABSEAL - Blizzard (You can add it anytime. Use either that one or Zeriab's. I have seen all EALs so far and ours are the most powerful ones. We're waiting for Fantasist to test them to see the advantages and disadvantages. Can't wait for the result to see what I can make better in mine. ^_^)
Full Reflection System - Blizzard (One nice extra feature that can be added anytime. If I'm not wrong, this is the only Reflect that actually works.)

Those here are critical scripts that can cause MAJOR problems.

SDK and MACL - (Best you use them if you wanna use Seph's stuff. I suppose nothing of his stuff works without the SDK. =/)
Mouse Selectable Windows - SephirothSpawn (You have to keep in mind that this can cause serious problems with other scripts.)
Multiple Poison Effects - SephirothSpawn (Can mess up some battle related script and most probably you don't really need it. And as I know Seph, he didn't even try to make it compatible. =/)
Mode07 - mewsterus (HEAVY lag, don't touch it. I've seen a different and promising one on RPG RPG Revolution, but didn't have time to test it yet.)
Mouse Coordinates  - Guedez/Tsunokiette (Same reason like Seph's mouse script.)
Swimming - ToriVerly (Just found that it's incompatible with Blizz-ABS. Might not need it after all anyway.)

Those script are more or less "useless" and maybe you shouldn't use them.

Blur Screenshot - SephirothSpawn (I'm not really getting the point of a blur screenshot.)
File Error Fix & Log - SephirothSpawn (You don't need it.)
File Use Log - SephirothSpawn (You don't need it.)
Tilemap (Basic) - SephirothSpawn (Lags more FROM WHAT I KNOW than the normal one, refrain from using it.)
Tilemap (Flash Data) - SephirothSpawn (Lags more FROM WHAT I KNOW than the normal one, refrain from using it.)
Tilemap (Extra Autotiles) - SephirothSpawn (Lags more FROM WHAT I KNOW than the normal one, refrain from using it.)
Extra Terrains - SephirothSpawn (You usually don't need more than the default).
Anti Lag Script - Near Fantastica (Refrain from using it. Other EAL scripts are shorter and better.)
Equipment Requirement System - NAMKCOR (Included in Tons of Add-ons. :))
Path Finding - Near Fantastica (You will usually never find yourself in a situation where this comes in handy. I did once, but it was a special system which I simply evented anyway.)
Personality Engine - Near Fantastica/AcedentProne (Same like pathfinder. Except you want to make a very realistic game. Keep in mind that this will require A LOT of work to set up for all NPCs.)
Main (Yeah, delete it. ... NO WAIT! Wrong section. This is required for your scripts to work. xD)

Those are more or less completely useless as they can be done with events without problems:

Banking System - SephirothSpawn (I really, really, REALLY never got the point of such a system in a non-MMORPG. Besides, it can be done with events so easily.)
Multiple BGMS - SephirothSpawn (Jesus Christ! Use an event...)
Quick Treasure Chest - SephirothSpawn (OMG, LOL! I can't believe he made a script for that!)
On Map Party Cycler - SephirothSpawn (1 common event with less commands that the script. Oh, and I've seen the code, he could have made it like MUCH shorter. =/ Hey, I even have it in my e-book.)

About those I have other complaints:

Multiple Languages - SephirothSpawn (Very missleading name.)

And I have absolutely no idea what those are supposed to do:

Multiple Damages - SephirothSpawn (Is that like dividing the damage onto several sprites when getting hit?)
Stat Bonus Base - SephirothSpawn (I have no idea what that is for, but it sounds to me as if you can make it with one event.)
Actor Stat Bonuses - SephirothSpawn (I'm not getting the point or the purpose. Is that something like the one above?)
Character Sprite Frame Change - SephirothSpawn (Uhm... doesn't that like happen automatically when you walk or something?)
Class Support - SephirothSpawn (Support for what?)
Damage Reductions - SephirothSpawn (I'm not getting the point or the purpose.)
Enemy Troops Extender - SephirothSpawn (Ok, nice, but I just don't get what that is supposed to add.)
Event Collision Detection - SephirothSpawn (I mean... WTF?! -_- RMXP has that included.)
Mapping Layers - SephirothSpawn (Another WTF?!)
Save Event Locations - SephirothSpawn (What's the purpose of this script? I bet it can be done with events easier.)
Skills Use Element Set - SephirothSpawn (Like I need Fire to use a skill? Huh?)
Sound Interaction System - SephirothSpawn (What's that for?)
Stat Skills - SephirothSpawn (I don't really get the purpose. Like requiring enough stats to use a skill? if yes, yeah this can be useful with my Stat Distro Sys.)
Unarmed Stats & Development - SephirothSpawn (I can't recognize the purpose from the name.)
Event Icon and Text Display - SephirothSpawn (Uhm... O_o What is that for?)
Perspective Sprites - SephirothSpawn (Not sure what that is supposed to be as I know the "limitations" of RMXP. Either that or it's more than 2000 lines long. Oh wait, we're talking about Seph here... 10000 lines.)
State Pops - SephirothSpawn (I don't know what that is supposed to do.)
BGL Skills - SephirothSpawn (Lol, what? How about avoiding the use of non-common acronyms in script names?)
Skill Mana System - SephirothSpawn (What's it supposed to do?)
Action Encounters - SephirothSpawn (What?)
Battle Simulator - SephirothSpawn (Is this an auto-battle script?)
WorldMap Teleporter - SephirothSpawn (What, a world map script or a script that allows teleporting script you around the world map?)
Battle Escaping - SephirothSpawn (WAIT, WHAT?!)
Battle Leaders - SephirothSpawn ( O_o )
Dynamic Defending - SephirothSpawn (Too common description, what does it do?)
Caldaron's Battle - Caldaron (Is that a CBS? If so, try it out, you might like it.)
Language - elbrunito (What?)
Scene_Map Addition - Tsunokiette (Lol, Tsuno! What does it add?)

One last note:

I suggest you avoid using Seph's scripts because of one simple reason: SDK. Many scripts are not compatible with SDK due to various problems, especially not SDK v2.x. You have to decide, use SDK and SDK scripts or leave it and be able to use a much wider range of scripts.

EDIT:

I have 220kB of Scripts in my game without any comments. FTS (Fantasist) saw them... It's the best if he tells you what he saw. <_<;

Fantasist

As I said, I SAW DIVINITY! That's what I call 'customization'. Oh, wait, I think I saw SDK 2.3 and about 20 of Seph's scripts :V

QuoteEnhanced BattleStatus Window - SephirothSpawn & PROBABLY Window_BattleStatus Add-on in Tons of Add-ons
I think it's more like 'Center battlers', but it resizes the windos' width too (and probably stretch the battleback).

QuoteBlur Screenshot - SephirothSpawn (I'm not really getting the point of a blur screenshot.)
I think I have other uses in-game, gotta try something.

Blizzard

Oops, I misread that. I read BattleResult. I also mispelled my add-on. <_<;

shdwlink1993

January 20, 2008, 05:42:46 pm #15 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 05:47:49 pm by shdwlink1993
Thanks Blizzard. That was really helpful!

And the ones you said you don't know what they are I've tried to explain here. Seph, however, seems unable or unwilling to make the scripts understandable.:

Multiple Damages - SephirothSpawn (I originally thought it meant that it makes the move hit twice. But after double checking, you hit the nail on the head.)
Stat Bonus Base - SephirothSpawn (It "create methods for adding direct and percent modifications to the actors stats".)
Actor Stat Bonuses - SephirothSpawn (A character gets a stat/elemental/state bonus depending on actorid, classid, equipment, or skills.)
Character Sprite Frame Change - SephirothSpawn (This changes the frames (fps) between animation frames.)
Class Support - SephirothSpawn (Boosts your stats depending on the other actors in the party class. Not quite sure on what that's supposed to mean.)
Damage Reductions - SephirothSpawn (This one's documentation appears to be readable by people other than SephirothSpawn (no offense). It lets you tack physical/magical damage reductions to armors. I thought the database could do that.)
Enemy Troops Extender - SephirothSpawn (Have more enemy encounter possibilities. There's a limit in XP of enemy troops of something (probally in the thousands, the way this is going). Yea. I'm going to need that. right.)
Event Collision Detection - SephirothSpawn (Seph likes making scripts that nobody needs, doesn't he?)
Mapping Layers - SephirothSpawn (This lets you "turn off 'map layers' with the press of a button or script call". It's better than the last one at least.)
Save Event Locations - SephirothSpawn (The point is to define them in a little cranny of a script rather than on the map in question. WTF indeed.)
Skills Use Element Set - SephirothSpawn (The script "modifies the element set when using a certain skill. Certain skills can use either the caster's weapon element set as their skill's element set or add casters's elements set to the skill's element set." I've been copying out of the documentation to illustrate that I don't know enough about what he's doing to say.)
Sound Interaction System - SephirothSpawn (This one looks promising: It plays sound effects for moving characters and events on the map and can play background sound effects (bgs) when within range of events. Even though I think you could do that with events.)
Stat Skills - SephirothSpawn (Another correct answer (I think).)
Unarmed Stats & Development - SephirothSpawn (Go fish.)
Event Icon and Text Display - SephirothSpawn (Put floating text and icons over events and players on the map. I'm guessing this is similar to FFVII's "finger over your head and arrow over all exits" thing.)
Perspective Sprites - SephirothSpawn (You're supposed to use it when you want a "weird" camera view illusion. You add in a Perspective Point event somehow and they are shown in perspective using that. Also, it's 300 lines.)
State Pops - SephirothSpawn (Show status changes like damage is displayed.)
Blue, Geomancy & Level Skills - SephirothSpawn (Oops. Wasn't paying attention. Blue Skills are you get hit by them and learn them. Like in Final Fantasy. Geomancy gives stat bonuses depending on terrain. Level skills are (annoying) when an attack only hits if it's divisible by your level.)
Skill Mana System - SephirothSpawn (Basically, you can use it instead of or in addition to magic (mana becomes another stat).)
Action Encounters - SephirothSpawn (A text bubble appears before battle. Hit the button (Whatever one you want) before it dissapears and you don't fight.)
Battle Simulator - SephirothSpawn (Test battle single enemies rather than a Group)
WorldMap Teleporter - SephirothSpawn (It moves you around the world map. Basically, it's the Airship from FFX with the option of a desctiption.)
Battle Escaping - SephirothSpawn (Escape one at a time rather than all together.)
Battle Leaders - SephirothSpawn (If a Battle Leader dies, the battle automatically ends. Nice in some cases.)
Dynamic Defending - SephirothSpawn (It was " designed to allow make actors actually have a reason to use the defend command". Basically, you recover hp while defending, monsters can as well.)
Caldaron's Battle - Caldaron (I found a project with this in it. no documentation whatsoever. Couldn't figure out how to attack.)
Language - elbrunito (You define a phrase in the script, and then put it in as many languages as you like. It's not useful unless you want all your dialog and such in a script. Two or more times. Not the same as Seph's cipher script he dubs languages (Sheesh. He overcomplicates the instructions and picks a misleading name for the script.))
Scene_Map Addition - Tsunokiette (It's for the mouse support (mouse coordinates and such)).

Hope that was helpful! And thanks again!

EDIT: I don't think I'm using DDNS. The timer doesn't start.
Stuff I've made:

Blizzard

You need to turn DDNS on first. To start it, use this command in a AUTO-START event (NOT PARALLEL PROCESS).
$game_ddns.turn_on
$game_ddns.go_outside

Then use either make_it_day or make_it_night right after. It's made that way for convenience.

I'll look into those scripts and tell you what you should know about them.

Fantasist

QuoteMapping Layers - SephirothSpawn (This lets you "turn off 'map layers' with the press of a button or script call". It's better than the last one at least.)
wtf! what's the point? it's like "this script could make your game crash with the push of a button or a script call! amazing, isn't it?"

QuoteSave Event Locations - SephirothSpawn (The point is to define them in a little cranny of a script rather than on the map in question. WTF indeed.)
When we save a game and load, the NPCs which move about are replaced in their initial positions. This prevents that ina amanner of speaking because it 'saves' the event positions on map. It 'could' save some eventing, but otherwise pointless.

QuoteWorldMap Teleporter - SephirothSpawn (It moves you around the world map. Basically, it's the Airship from FFX with the option of a desctiption.)
F*ck! It should've been named "Worldmap Airship' or something like that, it's not a 'teleporter'!

QuoteBattle Escaping - SephirothSpawn (Escape one at a time rather than all together.)
It should be called 'Individual escaping' or something.

QuoteBattle Leaders
Yeah, you can make some missions to 'escort' an important person safely and he shouldn't die.

QuoteDynamic Defending - SephirothSpawn (It was " designed to allow make actors actually have a reason to use the defend command". Basically, you recover hp while defending, monsters can as well.)
I was hoping it would enable defending other actors (defend/cover from CP)

QuoteCaldaron's Battle - Caldaron (I found a project with this in it. no documentation whatsoever. Couldn't figure out how to attack.)
lol! could be interesting :)

QuoteLanguage - elbrunito (You define a phrase in the script, and then put it in as many languages as you like. It's not useful unless you want all your dialog and such in a script. Two or more times. Not the same as Seph's cipher script he dubs languages (Sheesh. He overcomplicates the instructions and picks a misleading name for the script.))
Chaos Project's method for multiple languages has got to be the simplest and best I've seen. Simple conditional branches to get the job done. You know what a REAL multiple language script is supposed to do? Translate one lang to another :V

QuoteSeph, however, seems unable or unwilling to make the scripts understandable.
I'd say unable.

shdwlink1993

@Blizzard: You know, I didn't actually think of that. It's working now. Thank you.

@Fantasist: Mapping Layers can, I discovered upon usage of a dictionary, turns off anything. Layers, Fog, Weather, Panoramas, Sprites, even timers! I don't think it completely turns it off. I think it just makes it vanish. Useful in about three instances.
Stuff I've made:

Fantasist

QuoteMapping Layers can, I discovered upon usage of a dictionary, turns off anything. Layers, Fog, Weather, Panoramas, Sprites, even timers! I don't think it completely turns it off. I think it just makes it vanish. Useful in about three instances.
I'd like to know the three instances, cause unless I'm wrong, all of them can be done with events almost directly. And yeah, the script most likely just makes them invisible.

shdwlink1993

I was saying a Rhetorical Statement. Don't ask what I mean by a Rhetorical Statement. I suppose if you really needed it, you could make a cliff dissapear for a second to see a big plot important thing behind it. Maybe.
Stuff I've made:

Fantasist

lol, sorry(^_^') I know what a Rhetorical Statement is btw ^_^

Blizzard

January 20, 2008, 06:52:02 pm #22 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 06:56:42 pm by Blizzard
LOL!

Ok, let's get to work.

Multiple Damages - SephirothSpawn (Nice addition if you really want it. But I remember a script that messed up the actual damage numbers, IDK if his does. Can be added anytime (or removed if it starts annoying you).)
Stat Bonus Base - SephirothSpawn (Wouldn't that be easier to make with event...? -_- I'd say screw it, you won't need it most probably anyway)
Actor Stat Bonuses - SephirothSpawn (Well, can be a bit of useful sometimes. But when I think of how many critical script parts need to be modified, I have the right to doubt that it is even compatible with SDK itself. xD I don't think anybody uses that. At least I wouldn't. Add it from the beginning to avoid inconsistency)
Character Sprite Frame Change - SephirothSpawn (WOW! This can be done by changing one number in the scripts. I know, I did it in my game, too without having a script that is probably over 100 lines. Anyway, delete it right away after you saw what it changes, find that line in the default script and change it. EXCEPT of course if Seph completely overcomplicated it. Do what I said anyway, I'll tell you which line it is if you need it.)
Class Support - SephirothSpawn (So like, the more people have the same class, the higher their stats increase? COULD come in handy with a party changer where you actually have control over something like that. I'd say add it right away or leave it. It can cause inconsistency if you add it later.)
Damage Reductions - SephirothSpawn (I actually think that an unreadable docu is a compliment for Seph. -_- And yes, the database can do that. At least add stats, it can't "multiply" the value, but who would want that?! You should decide whether using it or not right away. It could mess up the consistency in your game pretty hard if you add it later.)
Enemy Troops Extender - SephirothSpawn (I love your comment on that one. I always have a hard time deciding which of Seph's scripts is the most useless. xD USE IT, YOU TOTALLY NEED THAT! :V)
Event Collision Detection - SephirothSpawn (His hobby I suppose. Best you don't touch it, nobody knows if it might explode.)
Mapping Layers - SephirothSpawn (I can't see the point. I know, if you have an i.e. SNES emulator, you can turn of mapping layers and sprites and so on, but I never saw any purpose in it. I doesn't even help with debugging maps. =/ Can be added anytime.)
Save Event Locations - SephirothSpawn (Actually, the default save already does what FTS said. -_- The positions are only reseted if you have made changes in the project before you run it again. Print that script down on a paper and burn the paper. While it's burning, delete the script from your HDD.)
Skills Use Element Set - SephirothSpawn (Let's say you have a weapon with elemental attributes Fire and Ice. Thsi skill will adapt them and lauch and Fire/Ice elemental attack. Can be useful if you actually find a purpose. Maybe a Copycat class that has that skill, IDK. =X Add it whenever you want, I'd say. IF you want, that is.)
Sound Interaction System - SephirothSpawn (Yeah, sounds really promising. I remember that somebody (NAMKCOR?) made a script that makes a BGS louder if you get like closer ot an object. You should decide right away if you wanna use it. It will most probably require a lot of extra work if you use it.)
Stat Skills - SephirothSpawn (Do you need that? Then you should add it right from the beginning on and make some extra stuff that will increase the stats so the player can use it before he actually has the level to do so.)
Unarmed Stats & Development - SephirothSpawn (errr...)
Event Icon and Text Display - SephirothSpawn (Actually I don't know how much sense this makes in a non-solid-background-3D game, but if you decide to use it, it can be added at any time. You will just have to do some edits in many events I supposed.)
Perspective Sprites - SephirothSpawn (Something like a pseudo-3D cam? I have one that is for battle nice effect. And yeah, he absolutely didn't make what I was thinking of. Maybe it's better that way. Actually if he did, this would have made a rotating Mode7 script possible. Can be added anytime, I suppose, but it would require some edits in the events.)
State Pops - SephirothSpawn ( -_- I wouldn't use that. CAn be added anytime, though.)
Blue, Geomancy & Level Skills - SephirothSpawn (You have a Blue Magic Skill in Tons of Add-ons, but it works differently. You can use it to "copy" skills from the enemy. I never liked Geomancer, but some people probably do. And yeah, the level divisor skill is gay. Do you actually need some of those? If yes, add the whenever you want, but I suggest from the very beginning, so you know what you will have later in your game.)
Skill Mana System - SephirothSpawn (Too confusing IMO and unecessary complicating things. So this is like adding another SP stat? Unless you have to charge it up differently. But then again, isn't that like almost a limit break. -_- If you need it, go on, but add it from the beginning on, it might make your game inconsistent if you add it later in development.)
Action Encounters - SephirothSpawn (Can add some spice if you want it. I found out that several people are annoyed by random encounter so I made it slightly different in my game. You get a message that you are about to engage into a fight. There's a 20% chance that you can get a choice window whether to fight or not. If you choose not, there's a 50% chance that you don't fight. Additionally I added an option in the Options Menu that allows a default action when you should get that message. My point is that some people could be even more annoyed by this feature. Can be added anytime.)
Battle Simulator - SephirothSpawn (WOW I TOTALLY COULDN'T MAKE A GROUP WITH JUST ONE ENEMY! THANK YOU SO MUCH SEPH! :V)
WorldMap Teleporter - SephirothSpawn (Yeah, sounds like an airship script. Why couldn't he call it FFX Airship script, since it IS a clone. -_- Well... If you have a need for it, go on.)
Battle Escaping - SephirothSpawn (Could be Useful, depending on how it works. i.e. If one character gets away and the rest dies, what happens? Imagine boss fight. You simply get away with one char and battle with the others. You can't lose at all. Not considering the fact that you can make boss encounters inescapable. xD You can add it anytime you think that it's useful for you.)
Battle Leaders - SephirothSpawn (Yeah, can be nice in some cases. Depends on if you need it. I guess it can be added anytime during the development.)
Dynamic Defending - SephirothSpawn (I've seen numerous scripts like that. Couldn't he, like, pick a better name like "Defending Recovering"? -_- Dynamic Defending sounds like one time you take 20% damage, the other time 70%, then 55%, you get the point. Well, it can be added anytime if you feel the need.)
Caldaron's Battle - Caldaron (LOL!)
Language - elbrunito (Oh, I remember that script. Yeah, it was a weird way to make dialogues. Just like FTS said, this can be done easier. I have in my game a variable that is set to which language the game is right now. Then I simply use conditional branches in events and a simply if-else branch in the scripts. I suggest you leave that script in a corner and run away before it wakes up.)
Scene_Map Addition - Tsunokiette (Nice. :) If you need it, use it. I know that Tsuno doesn't make crappy scripts).

That's it I guess. Anything else?

Nortos

OMG ur awesome Blizz, soo many other scripters e.g SephSpawn :P wouldn't take a second to help shdw that's why we <3 u :)

shdwlink1993

January 20, 2008, 09:07:33 pm #24 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:14:01 pm by shdwlink1993
You know Blizz, I think you are the only scripter I know who not only takes time with the new people and answers questions like dissecting 100+ scripts, but who can make you laugh while your reading it ;D (Coming from me, thats a big compliment). Thanks for being so helpful.

Also (I knew I'd change this at some point), just out of curiosity, what line is it in the Frame Rate Change Script you were talking about. One never knows when you'll have to do that.

Also also. I should have done this earlier, but oh well. The Unarmed Stats and Development says for it's description:

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Description :
#
#   This script was designed to do allow you to develope actors atk, mdef,
#   pdef and eva in a varitey of ways.
#
#   A) You can set unarmed growth of your stats, that progresses as your
#   character does, same as other stats.
#
#   B) You can define unarmed and armed growth of your stats, that will happen
#   with or without equipment.
#
#   C) You now have access to boost atk, pdef, mdef and eva through script
#   calls. These bonuses will be added after the unarmed / armed grows have
#   been added.
#
#   As a bonus, this script also grants access to the default stat bonuses,
#   such as maxp_bonus, maxsp_bonus, str_bonus, etc.
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have absolutely no clue what this means. This is probably the most unintelligible bunch of "Description" I'll ever see. Sadly, according to you, this is Seph's norm.

Thanks.

Also also also: I was wondering, just out of curiosity, what you thought of Near Fantastica's scripts. Don't feel obligated to answer. It's not a big deal.

Although knowing why rmxp.org is so horrible would be nice. Sorry if i'm bugging people.
Stuff I've made:

Blizzard

Sounds like a modiefied and simplier version of my Custom Stat Grow System. Ever played FF2? It's a similar stat system.

BTW, the line is in Game_Character 2. By default line 105 says "@anime_count += 1.5". Just change that number.

And you're welcome. :) Instead wasting my time in making scripts that nobody needs I rather use it to help a couple of people.

Fantasist

QuoteSave Event Locations - SephirothSpawn (Actually, the default save already does what FTS said. -_- The positions are only reseted if you have made changes in the project before you run it again. Print that script down on a paper and burn the paper. While it's burning, delete the script from your HDD.)
Hehe, I guess I really didn't test it >_>

shdwlink1993

Ah. Thanks for helping me out! It really means a lot to me!
Stuff I've made: