Some Freeware Graphics Programs

Started by Reno-s--Joker, February 20, 2009, 02:14:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Reno-s--Joker

February 20, 2009, 02:14:42 am Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:43:54 pm by Reno-s--Joker
Once again I apologise if this has already been posted or is in the wrong category. I couldn't find a similar post in my searches and I also must admit I had a lot of trouble deciding which category to post this too.  :(

Some Freeware Graphics Programs
Here is a short list of freeware graphics programs I have tried and tested and could recommend. I've also included one or two general recommendations. These programs may be useful to you in creating graphics for your RPG.

Painting
GIMP
This is by far the best alternative to Photoshop's painting abilities I have come across yet. The brushes can be very natural, and you have great control over the flow, opacity, etc. If you're skilled enough with a tablet this is perfect for creating digital paintings and thus battler/monster graphics for your game. It's probably also the best free alternative to Photoshop available.

Pixel Editing
Paint.NET
I have heard many good things about this program, but have not tried it myself. It's basically a really advanced version of MS Paint. Might be useful for sprite editing, I'm not sure.

Icon Making Software
Liquid Icon XP
A neat little pixel-based icon making software where you can draw the icon in directly. This might be useful if you want to change the game.exe icon.

Sibcode Icon Plugin 2.0
This is a free plugin for the non-free Photoshop. If you have PS then you can create and save images in .ico format directly. This has the potential to make really nice, anti-aliased icons that are much better than pixel ones.

Vectorising Software
LineTracer
I know the site looks dodgy and unpro but it can be really handy for vectorising linearts (cleaning up the edges). If you have a program like PS that can open .eps files, you can colour your linearts in that program. This kind of program can help make your graphics look more professional if you're aiming for a manga-ey lineart look but cbb tracing stuff and don't have a tablet.

Inkscape
I have not tried this yet but it looks very, very good, and professional.

Font Making Software
dafont.com
This has been recommended by Meta. Not only does it have a large number of fonts for you to choose from (so you probs won't have to make your own), it also has a list of font tools, some of which are free.

Web App YourFonts
I haven't tried this but by using a template and submitting it you can create a font out of your handwriting (or bend the suggestions and just make a font). Might be useful if you can't find the font you want for your game.

Tile Set Software
<Direct Download Link> Tile Set Maker
This software is designed for helping you make repeating tiles with edges which line up. Might be useful if you make tilesets.

Random Other
Apophysis
A well known ree fractal program which has the potential to make some really nice patterns (e.g. for backgrounds).

I would love to add any of your suggestions to this list too.  :-*

Tazero

Nice collage of Gfx progs.

may i point you too www.dafont.com ? It has font making programs

If you were a fish...

G_G

Very nice reno  8)
I'd use these but I need to get used to using photoshop.
*power up*

Reno-s--Joker

@Meta: Thanks! I'll add that to the list and check it out.

@game_guy: Glad you like it! ^-^

Landith

Thank you so much for the .ico format plug-in for Photoshop!
*Powers Up*

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Reno-s--Joker

^-^ I appreciate it Meta! And thanks for the dafont link - I think I found a very useful font on that site.

Tazero

There are a lot of em' they have resident evil font!

If you were a fish...