Blizz-ABS Tutorial

Started by Landith, February 22, 2009, 02:48:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Landith

February 22, 2009, 02:48:36 pm Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:59:48 pm by Landith
Okay, I've started this project that is a Blizz-ABS tutorial.

It's basically a quick game with no plot(Just something to go along with things, etc...), that as you go along, messages come up explaining how I did things.
This is a work in progress and hopefully will have all of Blizz-ABS features covered and how to do certain things. I'm trying to cover all things in the manual.
There will be about 12-15 tutorials in all

This is what I have so far:
Spoiler: ShowHide

• Tutorial 1 - Introduction to some features, go over enemies, and handy utilities to use.

• Tutorial 2 - Ally AI Behavior, Triggers, and allies.

• Tutorial 3 - Weapons

• Tutorial 4 - Scripting add-ons, Basics

• Tutorial 5 - Skills and Items

• Tutorial 6 - Utilities

• Tutorial 7 - Go over ABSEAL

• Tutorial 8 - Summoning, pets, etc...

• Tutorial 9 - Sprite control and what to name things(People have lots of trouble over this for some reason...)

• Tutorial 10 - What allies are capable of

• Tutorial 11 - Frequent Questions answered (People ask a lot of questions about some stuff and I'll go over them here)

• Tutorial 12 - Compatibility Issues(People ask if certain things are compatible when they are in the manual so I'll gove over them here)

Tell me if I forgot to go over anything.

Download Link

Credits:

• Landith

• Blizzard

• Reno

• Dubleax

• Juan

• game_guy

• Aqua

Enjoy!

winkio

Omg!  ur so awesome! ty so much for thiz.  I love how it hods my hand and sets up everything real cool and smoothly.

Great job.  It seems like exactly the type of this that could get clueless people help with how to use Blizz-ABS.  By the way, the above was a cringingly awful stereotypical response that I would expect you would get from your target audience.

Anyways, good work :)

Aqua

Hm... It's very basic for tutorial 1.
I really like the effort :P
The window skin for the menu really hurt my eyes though >.<

First of all, that bee with the text... I almost didn't kill him.  
I suggest you do a check of the total number of enemies in the map at the start and one of the total number of enemies in the current map.  Then when the latter is less than the former by 1, have it show the text then a self-switch.

Second... you should have at least tell the controls.  Since I customized my game with custom controls, I had to think about what each control was... lol

I'd also like to see the HUD... since I didn't know how much HP I had o.o

Okay then with the boss.
"Well, well, well... If it isn't the hero himself." Cassandra is a girl o.o
"You can now not use the running key and he is now an enemy."  Veeerrry awkward sentence.  Fix it by using, "You now cannot use the running key, and he is now an enemy.  (Cannot is one word)

Suggestions for other tutorials:
Scripter's tutorials - tell how you are able to make Blizz-ABS add-ons, different utilities a scripter can use (like the version check), and maybe an example of an add-on already made.

Landith

@aqua: Thanks for the suggestions, I will change the menu pictures and fix a few things and add on to tutorial one and post up a fixed/added-on version.

@winkio: Lol, thanks for your feedback :)

Blizzard

I love you.

If you can pull this project off completely, I'll be sure to give you special thanks in the Blizz-ABS credits. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Landith

Don't worry, I'm going to end up covering everything in the manual up to date.
Meaning if you update Blizz-ABS I will update this as well. :)

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Calintz

Landith

Okay, I uploaded a fixed version with no bugs. I think...

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Landith

Thanks, I still have a few things to change like the intro pictures, a few other pictures then I can get started on Tutorial 3 over different weapons, then Tutorial 4 over scripting add-ons(thanks to aqua for this one) :)

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Sally

this is a great idea, anythign i can do to help?

Landith

Are you any good at spriting?
That's the only thing I have to do besides the mapping and the demonstrations is spriting weapons, skills, and doing poses.

Shadonking

this is a great in game tutorial, it will def help those who are begginers.

great work, powersup.

also if you wanted any custom midi song feel free to use the ones in my topic "Shadonkings Midi Studio" or feel free to request some.

Creator Of Music And Games
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

Tazero

Feel free to ask for midi remix!
Or any non spriting graphics

If you were a fish...

Landith

Actually I might be able to use some midi's for the last boss, I'll go check it out shadon and meta.
I completely forgot to put some music for it...  :<_<:
I think...

Tazero

February 24, 2009, 05:13:34 pm #17 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:14:55 pm by MetaKnight
Lol i'd be happy to help at any moment

Plus maybe you should add simple Event systems to intergrat with babs

If you were a fish...

Landith

I'll see if I can contact game_guy on that. He is way better than me with events.

Shadonking

February 24, 2009, 05:31:48 pm #19 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 05:54:07 pm by Shadonking
iv made a little tut on using certain events such as custom teleports to show on the minimapĀ  only when used and also using chests with the change name function to dissaper from the minimap. if you want to have a look at it i'll post it.

edit

here is some thing iv done

http://www.sendspace.com/file/006icg

hope it gives you some ideas. or helps

]

rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

Landith

I like the chest one so I'll deffinetly use that one for the events, I'll probably combine events with utilities.

Shadonking

cool, as long as it helped.
:)

]

Tazero

February 24, 2009, 08:01:04 pm #22 Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 08:09:17 pm by MetaKnight
I'll contribute some Boss music letsee
Edit: http://www.savefile.com/files/2015847

If you were a fish...

Landith

Thanks I'll check it out when I'm not half asleep...  :<_<:

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

*wonders when there will be more*

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Landith

Ahhh, forgot about this topic.
I'll download what I uploaded last and start working on it when I get a few stuff done with Fallen Angel.

A lot has changed with Blizz-ABS since I was last here so I'm going to have to get re-acquainted. I'll try and get it updated soon though.

Blizzard

Sounds great. :) I might add combos about the same time you are done. You could, then, add a combo tutorial.
Also, when you get this half-way done or so, I might sticky the topic along with a link in the Blizz-ABS thread and a link in the newsflash on top. :D

Blizzard

*bumps* So you don't forget, Landith. :P

Landith

I haven't forgotten about this lolll
I've just been trying to to get everything compattible with the newest version as the alignment stuff and custom event triggers.
That and I've been trying to map for other games... I haven't had enough time to finish making it compatible just yet.
Expect some progress after I finish getting my life in order again, it's been kinda hectic lately.

So around... a few weeks to a month I should get some progress done :)

Blizzard