Best open-source 2D game engine out there?

Started by Fantasist, March 02, 2009, 11:35:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

I think I'll go for Pygame, is pretty awesome. It's been there for a while so it's reliable. Python isn't much different from Ruby and I'm getting used to it. After a tiring search for an IDE better than the default one (IDLE), I found Geany. It's pretty simple and it's awesome. Wish me luck with indie gaming guys :) If things should go well, you'll be seeing a scrolling shooter soon ;)

I will most likely settle for Pygame, but if you have any suggestions, please share them :)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

fugibo

Yay Geany :P That's actually a Linux text editor at heart, so yea :)

Glad you've found something you like, though. Good luck. What do you really have against RGSS, though?

Fantasist

QuoteWhat do you really have against RGSS, though?

- I don't own RMXP and I won't be able to buy it in a while.
- Even if RGSS is usable freely (is it?), I don't know how to use it.
- I've always felt it was a bit slow.
- I want to support open source software :D
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

fugibo

Yeah, I completely forgot the whole "best" and "open-source" parts. :P

Just wait until RGame has made decent progess, though... :P

Fantasist

How could you forget! I'm gonna hunt you down and make you buy bloatware >8U