General RGSS/RGSS2/RGSS3 Help

Started by G_G, March 04, 2009, 12:14:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

element

It was thanks to your script that I actually tried to script this :D
Though I still cant seem to figure out how you did it.
I'll try to look into it more though.

KK20

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Calintz

April 15, 2012, 05:59:33 am #562 Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:00:41 am by Calintz
i know that the majority of scripters at CP work with RGSS because of XP, but i have some general questions that i think would apply to all versions of the RGSS, and i am personally working with RGSS3. anyway, my first question is when you're working with windows, the arguments that you decide to implement on that window's initialization is completely up to you, right? depending on what kind of window you'd like to create?

def initialize (i'm talking about the values that go here)

G_G

Quote from: Calintz on April 15, 2012, 05:59:33 am
i know that the majority of scripters at CP work with RGSS because of XP, but i have some general questions that i think would apply to all versions of the RGSS, and i am personally working with RGSS3. anyway, my first question is when you're working with windows, the arguments that you decide to implement on that window's initialization is completely up to you, right? depending on what kind of window you'd like to create?

def initialize (i'm talking about the values that go here)

I merged your original topic with this one, since its more of a general topic already. As for your question, I don't really get what you're asking. If you're creating your own window, the arguments needed to pass are completely up to you. Just be sure that you use the "super" method and follow the parent classes arguments. Example...
class Window_MyWindow < Window_Base
  def initialize(arg1, arg2, etc...)
    super(x, y, width, height)
    # do your stuff here
  end
end

Whenever you have a class inherit another one, always remember to call its parent initialization method and use the proper arguments it comes with, if that makes any sense.

Calintz

that is okay, and yes, that was my question. thank you.

bigace

How would you turn the actors name vertical instead of horizontal?

Use Dropbox to upload your files. Much simpler than other upload sites, you can simply place a folder on your desktop that will sync with your DropBox account.

Ryex

you would have to invent a method to draw a name vertically.

here's some pseudo code not tested or guaranteed to work
Code: ruby

# set color, size, font-family before call
def draw_vertical_text(bitmap, text, x, y, align=0)
   y_off = 0
   text.each_char do |c|
       rect = bitmap.text_size(c)
       rect.x = x
       rect.y = y + y_off
       bitmap.draw_text(rect, c, align)
       y_off += rect.height
   end
end

if you get it to work I would like a screenshot just to see how it works
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

bigace

quick verify, this is done in bitmap right?

Use Dropbox to upload your files. Much simpler than other upload sites, you can simply place a folder on your desktop that will sync with your DropBox account.

KK20

As in a method that should be added to the Bitmap class? From what I'm seeing, no. You could do that by removing 'bitmap' as a parameter and using 'self' in its place.

Other Projects

bigace

quick question, is Does Game_Event have any effect on the player as I created a script that has two switches: One that stops the player and the other one to stop NPC's. I got the player one to just stop the player, but the one that stops the NPC stops the player as well. So back to the orignial question, Should what I've done to Game_Event effected the player.

KK20

Game_Player and Game_Event are both a subclass of Game_Character. From what I'm seeing, and guessing off of intuition, you might have made your "NPC stop switch" to apply to certain Game_Character traits, which in turn affects Game_Player.

You can always do something like

unless self.is_a?(Game_Player)
  #process code
end

within the Game_Character methods/whatever it is you changed.

Other Projects

bigace

March 13, 2013, 01:31:41 am #571 Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:04:32 am by bigace
nope still didn't work,
:facepalm: Nevermind, got it to work, I didn't realize the wait command was haulting the characters movements. :facepalm:

bigace

Okay so I've created a window that list all of the troops in the game. When you click on one of the troops how do you initiate a battle with said troops?

KK20

Weren't you able to accomplish something like this in your bestiary script?

Other Projects

bigace

:<_<: oh ya, I guess I'll adjust some settings.

bigace

March 28, 2013, 06:32:32 pm #575 Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:45:36 am by bigace
Anyone know how to change the text alignment for the help window in RMVXA. Unlike in XP/VX where it's obvious, Enterbrain decided to move/remove it.

bigace

Quote from: bigace on March 28, 2013, 06:32:32 pm
Anyone know how to change the text alignment for the help window in RMVXA. Unlike in XP/VX where it's obvious, Enterbrain decided to move/remove it.

Along with the previous question that which I'm bumping, has anyone ever figured out how to change the text message speed in RMXP and/or RMVXA? I was going have an option to change the text in RMXP for my option system and RMVXA for a game I'm making (slow, medium, fast).

Zexion

Have you tried looking at an AMS to see how they do it? Dubealex AMS is the easiest to read for this.

Blizzard

@bigace: Find a window where the alignment is not set to left and you should be able to easily figure out how it's done.
As for the text speed, check the window class responsible for that and maybe its refresh method (I remember it being Window_Message in RMXP).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

bigace

April 06, 2013, 06:04:28 pm #579 Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:33:47 pm by bigace
The problem with VXA is that it does all this confusing stuff inside of Window_Base, that finding where the alignment is almost impossible. I'll keep looking. As for the text speed in VXA, there is no refresh method in Window_Message and the only option that exist is the ability to instantly have the image appear, but nothing on its speed. I'll keep looking on XP though.

Edit:
Quote from: Zexion on April 06, 2013, 01:48:26 pm
Have you tried looking at an AMS to see how they do it? Dubealex AMS is the easiest to read for this.

Thanks for that, just notice that there was a speed function in there. Now just have to figure out how to configure into my option system?