Tutorial on how the Weapon Types in Blizz-ABS

Started by thepathmage, March 03, 2009, 09:08:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

thepathmage

I really need help with the Weapon Types in Blizz-ABS. I tried to set weapon type to Bow/ Bow and Arrow for my bows in the Blizz-ABS Config, put something always mess up.
Right now my bows have weapon type sword, so they hit all enemies  :(
I would really like a guide on this.

Blizzard

March 03, 2009, 10:01:55 am #1 Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:05:09 am by Blizzard
RTFM.

Since I have a good day, I will even post up the exact subchapter in the manual from the chapter (surprise, surprise) Blizz-ABS Weapons.

Quote from: The all-knowing Manual
3.5.2. self.range
This method serves as database for weapon ranges. All ranges are measured in map squares from the center of the attacking square. Any decimal value WILL have its effect if pixel movement is being used.

If you use weapon type 1, the range will be calculated as following:

[IMAGE NOT DISPLAYED HERE]

The red square represents the character, the green square his quantized affection radius, the blue marked area represents the real affection radius. In this example a range (yellow) of 1.5 was used. The range is taken always from the center of the current character. Note how parts of the left and right squares are no affected if a Pixel Movement Rate of 1 is being used.

The range calculation of type 2 is very simple. All enemies within range in front of the character will be attacked. Note how the right squares are not affected if a Pixel Movement Rate of 1 is being used.

The range calculation of type 3 is a little bit more complicated. The first half of the range will be skipped as flails can't attack close enemies. The rest will be attacked as usual. A range of 4 was used in this example. Note how the most right squares are not affected if a Pixel Movement Rate of 1 is being used.

The range calculation of type 4, 5, 6 and 7 is identical to 1. The only differences are that a returning projectile (type 4) will attempt to return to the character that used it after it has reached the position of its maximum range and that the other types will only damage the first enemy they encounter. Ranges are limited to the screen size; any projectile that goes out of the screen will be removed instantly. You cannot shoot through enemies or any tile with a terrain tag from Wall Terrain Tags. Only returning projectiles can hit more than one enemy. Any enemies on the way back of a returning projectile will be attacked as well. The spritesets for non-consuming, self-consuming and returning projectile weapons need to be named the same as the weapon's icon file. Spritesets are auto-animated all the time.

example:
icon file name - FlameBow.png
projectile spriteset name - FlameBow.png

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

thepathmage

Well, I've read the manual, put the manual doesn't say a thing about how you actually DO IT.

winkio

Turn off charge sprites while you configure your weapons (if they were on).  Then, go click on your weapon, and in the box that says Type, select Bow or Bow/Arrow (depending on if they use ammo.)  Then, go down to range and select something around 5 for your range.  Re-generate the config script, and re-copy it into part 1.

Blizzard

Are you telling me you don't know how to rename a file?

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

It seems that he is hitting the error in the config app (based on charge sprites enabled) where you cant configure anything.  because he says it ends up as weapon type sword...

Blizzard

Well, he should have mentioned a problem and not requested a tutorial. -_- Those are two quite different things.