[XP]CAIIES(Calintz's Advanced Inn/Infirmary Event System)

Started by Calintz, March 15, 2009, 01:23:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

legacyblade

I think with a few script calls, you could make this a lot simpler, and easy to use with different parties (say you have 42 possible party members, this system would start getting HUGE). Lemme see if I can make a version that uses a script call or two. Other than that, it's great! Love the system, and it adds a great deal of realism.

Calintz

Well...
I don't know how to script, and I don't have the time to play around to find the proper syntax, but my system is configured for 4people in your party. It is up to the user to configure it further than that.

I am updating the system right now actually. It will contain improved coding and a couple additional features.

legacyblade

I made a demo that utilizes script calls. Makes it support unlimited party sizes and combination, as well as remove four common events!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jb91pk

No need to credit me for a script call.

Calintz

legacyblade

Just use that one as a reference for the script call. It was just easier to show you that way than to write out an explanation :P

Calintz

My point is this...
I would have never know how to do that without you doing it 1st. Therefore, I have no right to use it and claim it my my own. I DON'T know how to script, and I don't know any syntax, so it is useless for me to try to create a system using the call script command, and I won't claim someone else work as my own. I won't use that system. I will update the 1st post though.

legacyblade

Alright, if you feel it'd be plagiarism. :ninja: I don't see anything wrong with using script snippets someone gives you though. My first release of my class change system was 40% script snippets blizzard gave me, that I didn't know how they worked. I'd say mess around with them to see what causes errors, and what doesn't. (and to find the syntax of any event command, just look through the default Interpreter scripts)

Calintz

Quote from: legacyblade on March 17, 2009, 05:49:08 pm
I'd say mess around with them to see what causes errors, and what doesn't.

I don't have the luxury of time to actually experiment, so I stick to what I know.

Quote from: legacyblade on March 17, 2009, 05:49:08 pm
(and to find the syntax of any event command, just look through the default Interpreter scripts)

I have tried. I still can't understand. I have some kind of mental block when it comes to scripting. I'm tired of trying to learn how to when I can still do everything with events.

legacyblade

Ah, I understand that mental block. I had it, until all else but scripting failed me. I'll write and PM you a tutorial that'll explain the small amount of RGSS I actually understand. (which isn't much). You can do a lot with basic knowledge of if statements, and arrays. (that's all I really use). Once you get the idea of the syntax down, all but the most complex scripts make sense. (most complex, meaning Blizzard's scripts :P)

Calintz

Oh okay.
I really appreciate that Legacyblade.

Thank you.

legacyblade

NP. I look forward to seeing the awesome event systems you'd create with that (you can do a lot with arrays. My class change script is very little BUT arrays.)

I should have time to write it over the weekend.

Calintz

Blizzard

Actually arrays, conditional branching, looping and functional separtion (putting code that is semantically connected into functions or methods) and the concept of objects just being complex data structures (read: big variables) is 99% of the knowledge you need. Most of my scripts work on that little bit of knowledge. The rest is just how I structured them. Basically object oriented concepts and basic programming knowledge is all you need. I don't know that much more either. The rest is just years of experience. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

Hmm...
Alright, thanks Blizzard.

If I decide to try to learn something about scripting again, I will focus on those particular points.

Calintz

RoseSkye

*Embarrassed* Wrong thread. I haven't played this yet.  :shy: