LIDS (Legacy’s Inn/Healer Dream System) (and edit of CAIIES)

Started by legacyblade, March 17, 2009, 05:41:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

legacyblade

LIDS (Legacy's Inn/Healer Dream System)
Version: 1.1
Type: Restorative Establishment/Aesthetics Enhancements

Introduction

Well after checking out Calintz awesome system, the CAIIES, I noticed that it would be much more efficient if there were a few script calls. Then, as I messing around with the system, I got carried away, and created my own system.

It uses the same basic concept of "Inn Realism". Sleeping at an Inn shouldn't cure critical condition. But I took it a step further, and said it shouldn't heal things like being turned into a frog, poison, being paralyzed, etc. And, armed with a few simple script calls, I made the LIDS. I also added a "dreaming" system. (They can be anything from simple messages like "you dream of fish...", to flow blown cutscenes, to minigames. It's that customizable!)

This is to show just how much a few edits of Calnitz awesome system can do! (I highly encourage you to get his system, and make something unique out of it)

Features

• Separate Inn and Healer Facilities
  • Inn can heal all characters, except those with the a state that requires a healer (easy to set up).
  • "Healers" can remove certain status ailments that you define, as well as heal those in critical condition (dead/knockout).
  • Dream system (at night, you will have a dream)
  • Separate dreams for both the healer, AND the Inn.
  • "Special" Dreams. This can be used for those cliché cutscenes that take place at the Inn, as well as "prophetic" dreams. (you can even define them separately for both the Inn and the Healer)
  • Both healer and Inn will transport you to a map, based on whatever Inn you're in, for graphical niceties. (You can show your main character sleeping at the Inn)
  • Uses common events in conjunction with variables, so it's easily customizable AND efficient. (you can have the price, message, map transferred to during sleep, etc change based on the "Inn" or "Healer" variable)

Screenshots

Show the character sleeping. (sleeping scene can be different depending on which Inn you're at, if you set it up that way)
Spoiler: ShowHide

Healers work the same way, but you can define different scenes for the healers.

Random dreams! Can be anything from a fully blown cutscene, to a minigame, to just a box of text.

cutscene

text box

You can define a different set of dreams for sleeping at a healer (when I'M sick, I have really weird dreams)

Want to have those "night at the Inn" cutscenes? Well with this system, it's easy!

If any member of your party has states requiring a healer (which you define at each Inn, in a very simple manner), the Inn Keeper will notify the player that they need a healer.

The healer will also tell you whether or not you need their services (and will only allow you to stay at the healer's place if you DO need their services).

Demo
Click HERE to download it!

Instructions

Edit a few lines in common events to set up your own system. Check out the demo to see how I did it.

Credits and Thanks

• Legacyblade (me :D) for making the system
  • Special thanks to Clintz, for making the awesome CAIIES that gave me the idea for this system.
  • Special thanks to Blizz for writing a tutorial on scripting, and helping me debug scripts I've written.
  • Special thanks to Reives for a sound effect I use in one of the dreams.

Author's Notes
Don't forget to set which states require healing at the Healer, and don't forget to customize the common events for your own game (particular the dream ones). You wouldn't want a random cutscene from my game as a dream, now would you?

This system is really simple to make completely your own, so go all out with this, and give your game some FLAVOR!

• Don't forget to play the demo, so that you can see how this system really works.
  • If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'd be happy to help

Yes...I made a map with cosmetic fog just for this demo. (I made that Inn map for the demo) I really should spend more time on my own project than making my demos look pretty. You can use that map, as well as it's fog, in your own game. Just make sure to credit me! Also, make sure to check out Calnitz system, it's simpler than this, and may suit your needs better. (his is awesome)

Aqua

Looks verrrrrry coooool! :D

So much customizability; it makes me drool! :P

*powers up*

Calintz

legacyblade

@aqua, glad you like it. It's only slightly different than Calintz's system. I just made a bigger demo, and added a few simple features. You should check his out too.

@Calnitz, myes, it is. I designed it as an addon to yours, but thought it'd be easier to distribute it as it's own system.

Blizzard

Not to be a nitpick, but there's a mapping error in the first screenshot at the fireplace. xD

*pretzels up* o.o;
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

legacyblade

there is? gotta fix that mapping error. Also, I found an error in one of my script calls (it doesn't work perfectly) I'm updating the demo

G_G

Calintz

Looking forward to the update.
- My system still handles graphics for all of your characters in the resting scene XD!!

**Haha, but it doesn't matter, because when I release my update, you will update yours with optimization XD, LMAO!!

legacyblade

@game_guy, glad you like the title. I wanted a title I could pronounce :P
@calintz, Naw, I'll just go my own way with this system, if I come up with another idea that isn't a rippoff of your system :P And yah, I can do that cahracter graphic thing with a script, but since that's no longer an event system, I'll just keep that feature for my game (I have a script with utilities/script edits I use for eventing, that I am keeping custom to my own game)

btw, do I get to go into the database.

Reno-s--Joker

Oooh, competition, eh? :V:
I really like the sound of this system as well, and the dreams idea is pretty unique - I like it! :D
*powers up*

Calintz

The random dreams actually was a good idea.
- I really wish I had thought of it instead!! XD

Aqua

Bug with Demo...
After viewing the subplot dream, the player is unable to move anymore.

Diokatsu

Keep reading this title as "AIDS". Whatever.

This is interesting! I tried it and it's super sweet <3

I prolly will never use it, but it got my attention XD

KRoP

Sickness dreams should occur whether or not you have a certain status ailment and not just by sleeping at the infarmary/healer/whatever.

RoseSkye

I played the game and it made me lol. I wish there were more things that I could unlock from it.

Anywho I've basically have been doing a primitive version of this for awhile. :o I have learned a few more tricks from it though. Thx.

legacyblade

@Reno, not exactly competition. I originally was just making a dream system, and thought I might as well make a full blown inn/healer system (sorta like the one Calintz made)

@Calintz, I stole the idea from an RM2k3 tutorial I read a long time ago :P

@Aqua, yah, I found that bug. I think I fixed it in the most recently uploaded version, though I may have forgotten to upload it. (it was just an eventing error in the dream itself)

@Dio, lol. I'm glad you like it, too. I don't think it's going to make it into my game either (not with some modification of default scripts, anyways, and some features that would only make sense in my game), but it was fun to make

@KRoP, I'll make a mini tutorial on how to edit the system to do that. It would make the system bulkier to add that in as a configuration.

@RoseSkye, Glad you learned some tricks. I learned a lot in making it (I'd never done an event system before)

Reno-s--Joker

Quote from: legacyblade on March 23, 2009, 01:36:19 pm
@Reno, not exactly competition. I originally was just making a dream system, and thought I might as well make a full blown inn/healer system (sorta like the one Calintz made)

^-^ I know. This is just as unique, and the merging of the two will eliminate any compatibility/merging issues. :D
... I tried adding the :V: smiley but it just doesn't work sometimes. >.<;

zane203

Sweet, was thinking making a system like this =o, this will surely point me in the right direction xD.

The dream system i'm picturing is just a down town environment from the game. As in you go to sleep and if you decide to enter the dream world you'll be in your "soul" where you can change your spirit, your soul's inventory, and your inner power. And you can save =3

but yea dude looks awesome downloading now =3
--ZenOokami--

legacyblade

You could do that with the LIDS system, if you do a bit of eventing (you could have the dream portion teleport you to a map during which you control, rather than just show a cutscene). I'm glad you like this, it was a fun system to make.