Are humans animals? Are Races in fact breeds?

Started by RoseSkye, March 24, 2009, 03:36:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

My post sounds partially more like a contradiction to yours IMO. o.o;
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

we both stated that conscious thought is only a small part, and that 100% of our brain IS being used, just not consciously.

Blizzard

Then I misread your post.

Anyway, genetic data isn't compatible between races. Try to get a crossbreed between a parrot and a cat. It won't work. There are varieties in genetic data structure that allow crossbreeds, though. i.e. You can get a crossbreed between two dog races. Evolution seems to make much more sense to me.

How are monkey races compared in inteligence to humans? Depending on this ratio, it might be possible that a monkey race actually could be taught to speak.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

actually Blizz, the reason most animals don't 'speak' like we do, is that their vocal cords and sound-system is designed vastly differently from our own, and aren't physically capable of producing the sounds our bodies are designed too. but with similarities, your right. Monkeys might be able to speak.

Valcos

If we all came from monkeys, does that mean we can crossbread with them? It make like planet of the apes kinda thing :O.o:
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Blizzard

Nah, that doesn't make so much sense. It's much more likely that we all came from some sort of pre-ape race. It's also very likely that there were actually several pre-ape races that evolved from different (or one) specific mammal race. It's complicated.

Quote from: UltaFlame on March 28, 2009, 05:56:29 pm
actually Blizz, the reason most animals don't 'speak' like we do, is that their vocal cords and sound-system is designed vastly differently from our own, and aren't physically capable of producing the sounds our bodies are designed too. but with similarities, your right. Monkeys might be able to speak.

I know that. But I meant monkey races specifically.

Vell

yeah and int he end i agreed with u on that point.

Valcos

So, there isnt no scientific way of crossbreeding a horse with a human? Like, I have seen TV shows were they go into the cells and stuff like that... but, its from a TV show -_-".
-Oscar De La Hoya

Reno-s--Joker

I think if there was people would've done it already and there'd be centaurs walking around all over the place. :V:

I personally don't think it'd work because our DNA would be too different or something and the baby would self abort or something (I think it does that sometimes when there's something deeply wrong with the embryo or whatever). Personally think.

Fallen Angel X

Quote from: Blizzard on March 28, 2009, 05:52:09 pm
Then I misread your post.

Anyway, genetic data isn't compatible between races. Try to get a crossbreed between a parrot and a cat. It won't work. There are varieties in genetic data structure that allow crossbreeds, though. i.e. You can get a crossbreed between two dog races. Evolution seems to make much more sense to me.

How are monkey races compared in inteligence to humans? Depending on this ratio, it might be possible that a monkey race actually could be taught to speak.

Blizzard has already explained that :D But science can do some pretty freaky things. Who knows, maybe there will be cross breeds one day. But it probably wouldn't be natural.

Blizzard

March 29, 2009, 08:53:46 am #50 Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:56:16 am by Blizzard
That reminds me of the crossbreed between a duck and a human in that South Park episode where the kids had to vote between a giant douche and a turd sandwich for the new school mascot. That duck-human thing kept saying "Killlllllll meeeeeeeeee..." It was creepy. What if crossbreeding races would actually cause a suffering like that? It's a really dreaful thought. I think we shouldn't try it.

EDIT: I also just remembered the episode of X-Factor where a woman suddenly becomes pregnant even though she didn't have sex for quite some time. She gives birth to some sort of octopus and it's being explained that she swallowed an egg while being in the sea during her last vacation. The egg somehow nested in her guts and ew. You get the idea. That story was, of course, fake. But it's also a creepy thought.

Fallen Angel X

I think if the opportunity did arise, we'd do it anyways. That's the funny thing, science will do a lot of things to just see what happens in the end. Even if people are against it.

Vell

thats also how science progresses. evil scientists don't, infact, exist. it's only who the scientists are working for who decide it.

Valcos

Argh, had a really good thought earlier today. Completely forgot it now :<_<:
-Oscar De La Hoya

Reno-s--Joker

@FAX: My bad... I really suck at reading. >.<;

Quote from: Blizzard on March 29, 2009, 08:53:46 am
It's a really dreaful thought. I think we shouldn't try it.

Lol, I misread that as "I think we should try it." :scared:
Anyhow, even clones have heaps of malfunctions and illnesses (no doubt causing pain). So think of what would happen to crossbreeds. Or maybe don't think about it.

@Fant: Just to clarify, do you think humans are unique animals or just not superior animals? Quick, before it's my turn to lose the awesome thought I had today... o.O;

Sally

Lost_Hope

March 30, 2009, 11:10:48 am #56 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:12:34 am by Lost_Hope
ok I asked my friend about this and he said no because we are have sapience. I looked up the work and some history and I'll post it here:
QuoteSapience is often defined as wisdom, or the ability of an organism or entity to act with appropriate judgment. Judgment is a mental faculty which is a component of intelligence or alternatively may be considered an additional faculty, apart from intelligence, with its own properties. Robert Sternberg [1] has segregated the capacity for judgment from the general qualifiers for intelligence, which is closer to cognizant aptitude than to wisdom. Displaying sound judgment in a complex, dynamic environment is a hallmark of wisdom.

The word sapience is derived from the Latin word sapientia, meaning wisdom.[2] Related to this word is the Latin verb sapere, which means "to taste, to be wise, to know"; the present participle of sapere forms part of Homo sapiens, the Latin binomial nomenclature created by Carolus Linnaeus to describe the human species. Linnaeus had originally given humans the species name of diurnus, meaning man of the day. But he later decided that the dominating feature of humans was wisdom, hence application of the name sapiens. His chosen biological name was intended to emphasize man's uniqueness and separation from the rest of the animal kingdom.

Ok no as you can see he basically said we can pass judgement and we're inteligent or whatever. I really don't care but I want to see what everyone else here thinks about his argument. Oh and btw, I DON'T think animals judge one another and select their own leaders. Animals fight for leadership and ever sometimes kill one another (humans do too) but I've never seen (or heard) of a group of animals electing their leader. If we did that, than obama sure as hell wouldn't be the president of the united states. but anyways, back to the sapience thing. Lets see what everyone here thinks.

Oh @Blizz I don't believe we came from anything but humans. That's just my beliefe (hence my religion and take on God).

Fantasist

March 30, 2009, 12:23:11 pm #57 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:26:53 pm by Fantasist
QuoteWhat does that prove? You're right, material culture isn't the same as civilization but technology can still be considered development and evolution. Technology has lengthened our life span, how can you say that's not development? Technology isn't the same as civilization but it's a component of it and it differentiates us considerably from animals.

• If you skim through the article, "civilization" roughly meant development. And longer life spans don't necessarily mean development. Would you say tortoises are more developed than humans?
  • Yes, technology differentiates us from animals. In that mode of classification, I agree that we are superior.

QuoteI still don't see how you're proving that we can't use technology as an arguement. Sure, previous civilizations existed. Yeah, they could've been more advanced than us. So what? They were still humans. They weren't animals. Their mental capabilities could've differentiated them from animals still! How, in what way, does your arguement say "Technology DOESN'T make us superior to animals! That arguement is false!" Enlighten me, I can't seem to figure it out.

I'd like to think that technology makes us different from animals, not superior. You don't have to agree to this, but I hope you can see what I mean here.

QuoteSo then what is it that you do believe? Are we or are we not animals? I get where you're coming from about not using technology as a way to differentiate ourselves from animals but what is your standing? Why are you even debating this? You having said that means you taking the noble middle path, does it not? And yet you seemingly claim humans are animals. Although I will admit that I'm being a hypocrite. I personally think we're animals xD

I believe we are animals.

QuoteAnd FTS, I won't take offense to anything posted here. I know I'm saying a load of bull :)

No, it's actually a good argument. You assumed the much needed role in this topic, so cheers :up:

I shouldn't have got all jittery about it. I can't help it. I have this opinion that humans give more credit to themselves that they deserve and I'm critical of anything that suggests they are superior to other forms of life. But it's just a personal... thing >.<

Quote@Fant: Just to clarify, do you think humans are unique animals or just not superior animals? Quick, before it's my turn to lose the awesome thought I had today... o.O;

I'd say unique AND not superior. Humans are unique and are different from many animals, but he is STILL for a good part an animal.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Vell

and on Fantasist's note, any animal is unique and different from many animals.

shdwlink1993

Quote from: Fantasist on March 30, 2009, 12:23:11 pm
I shouldn't have got all jittery about it. I can't help it. I have this opinion that humans give more credit to themselves that they deserve and I'm critical of anything that suggests they are superior to other forms of life. But it's just a personal... thing >.<

Don't worry, Fantasist. People tend to do that about animals, but then you've got America. >.<
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."