Are humans animals? Are Races in fact breeds?

Started by RoseSkye, March 24, 2009, 03:36:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fallen Angel X

Yeah, I was about to post my rebuttal but my internet went down the second I pressed post D: So I said "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" But nah. *goes to the trouble of rewriting the darn rebuttal* xD

Quote from: Fantasist on March 30, 2009, 12:23:11 pm
QuoteWhat does that prove? You're right, material culture isn't the same as civilization but technology can still be considered development and evolution. Technology has lengthened our life span, how can you say that's not development? Technology isn't the same as civilization but it's a component of it and it differentiates us considerably from animals.

• If you skim through the article, "civilization" roughly meant development. And longer life spans don't necessarily mean development. Would you say tortoises are more developed than humans?
  • Yes, technology differentiates us from animals. In that mode of classification, I agree that we are superior.

Quote from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Civilization?qsrc=2888Civilization
1. an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.
2. those people or nations that have reached such a state.
3. any type of culture, society, etc., of a specific place, time, or group: Greek civilization. 
4. the act or process of civilizing or being civilized: Rome's civilization of barbaric tribes was admirable. 
5. cultural refinement; refinement of thought and cultural appreciation: The letters of Madame de Sévigné reveal her wit and civilization. 
6. cities or populated areas in general, as opposed to unpopulated or wilderness areas: The plane crashed in the jungle, hundreds of miles from civilization. 
7. modern comforts and conveniences, as made possible by science and technology: After a week in the woods, without television or even running water, the campers looked forward to civilization again. 

So there's an actual definition of civilization. If you choose to define civilization as development, that's your thing but I have to say that civilization and development are indeed two different things! Which your article agrees. That's why it's incorrect to equate civilization with materialistic culture. BUT that does not mean technology isn't development. And life span is an aspect of development. There's MANY different components of biological development. So yes, in that respect a sea turtle is more developed than us. But what about other aspects? I could make the assumption that humans are more intelligent.

Perhaps I should've rewritten what I wrote. I should've written different not superior. In the end, different would mean different from animals, which is what I'm supposed to be trying to prove.

shdwlink1993

FAX, be careful what you quote from, because sometimes if you don't read it all it looks rather silly.

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 30, 2009, 07:46:54 pm
Quote from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Civilization?qsrc=2888Civilization
7. modern comforts and conveniences, as made possible by science and technology: After a week in the woods, without television or even running water, the campers looked forward to civilization again. 

That's why it's incorrect to equate civilization with materialistic culture.

Those two statements, at least to me, almost completely contradict each-other. xD
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

RoseSkye

Quote from: UltaFlame on March 28, 2009, 05:56:29 pm
actually Blizz, the reason most animals don't 'speak' like we do, is that their vocal cords and sound-system is designed vastly differently from our own, and aren't physically capable of producing the sounds our bodies are designed too. but with similarities, your right. Monkeys might be able to speak.

Parrots :/

Fallen Angel X

Quote from: shdwlink1993 on March 30, 2009, 08:09:09 pm
FAX, be careful what you quote from, because sometimes if you don't read it all it looks rather silly.

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 30, 2009, 07:46:54 pm

That's why it's incorrect to equate civilization with materialistic culture.

Those two statements, at least to me, almost completely contradict each-other. xD

Well, FTS completely disproved the use of the 7th definition of Civilization. So I kinda just ignored it xD

Blizzard

Quote from: Lost_Hope on March 30, 2009, 11:10:48 am
Oh @Blizz I don't believe we came from anything but humans. That's just my beliefe (hence my religion and take on God).

So you believe we were just there at one moment? Without any logical process regardless of what we witness every day?

Quote from: RoseSkye on March 30, 2009, 08:57:12 pm
actually Blizz, the reason most animals don't 'speak' like we do, is that their vocal cords and sound-system is designed vastly differently from our own, and aren't physically capable of producing the sounds our bodies are designed too. but with similarities, your right. Monkeys might be able to speak.

They don't have voice coords, they are just able to reproduce a similar sound. And they don't know what they are saying, they just repeat stuff they heard.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

RoseSkye

April 01, 2009, 12:30:46 am #65 Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:37:17 am by RoseSkye
Quote from: Blizzard on March 31, 2009, 12:50:52 pm
Quote from: Lost_Hope on March 30, 2009, 11:10:48 am
Oh @Blizz I don't believe we came from anything but humans. That's just my beliefe (hence my religion and take on God).

So you believe we were just there at one moment? Without any logical process regardless of what we witness every day?

Quote from: RoseSkye on March 30, 2009, 08:57:12 pm

Parrot with intelligence

They don't have voice coords, they are just able to reproduce a similar sound. And they don't know what they are saying, they just repeat stuff they heard.

Parrot doing math.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgK0Vpg3HnM&feature=related

Parrot with vocal recognition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMGk65UMlMo

Alex one of the smartest parrots.. (dead)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4gTR4tkvcM&feature=related

Blizzard

Wow. O.o But they mostly still lack the being sentient part.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

RoseSkye

Evolution isn't just a one way street.. its not logical to say that they'll never be able to communicate fully on a comprehensive wavelength.

Lost_Hope

lol you know, I've been thinking, why does anyone even really care whether we're animals or not? lol does it even really matter? Just live life and have fun. F*** the confusing s*** lol.

Pokol DaErran

Yeah, I believe that humans are different from animals.  And I'll provide a handy spoiler so you can diffrentiate a human from an animal:
How To Tell Humans Apart From Animals: ShowHide

Look at the human/animal.  Is it destroying its natural environment, fighting needless wars with each other over trivialities, stabbing its friends in the back so that it can get ahead, and basically trying to screw over everyone and everything else, ever, in order to temporarily better its own life?
A: Yes.
B: No.

If you chose A, it is a HUMAN.  If you chose B, it is an ANIMAL.
"...Sometimes, the impossible can become possible- if you're awesome!"
--Bolt

Vell

I'm pretty sure a wolf would kill it's own father to become the alpha male.

RoseSkye

Quote from: Pokol DaErran on April 07, 2009, 02:08:43 pm
Yeah, I believe that humans are different from animals.  And I'll provide a handy spoiler so you can diffrentiate a human from an animal:
How To Tell Humans Apart From Animals: ShowHide

Look at the human/animal.  Is it destroying its natural environment, fighting needless wars with each other over trivialities, stabbing its friends in the back so that it can get ahead, and basically trying to screw over everyone and everything else, ever, in order to temporarily better its own life?
A: Yes.
B: No.

If you chose A, it is a HUMAN.  If you chose B, it is an ANIMAL.

Some animals fight over territory.. so that not exactly decisive.

Shadonking

chimpanzee kill there own for fun as well as for territory

Creator Of Music And Games
Spoiler: ShowHide
]

keywords: ShowHide
rmxp rmvx blizz-abs rpg maker xp vx abs cbs cms script tons of addons charsets autotiles HUD

come here if you have a ps3
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=1952.0

fugibo

Blizzard

I'm locking this thread before it turns into chat or even spam. If somebody wants to actually post something more "intelligent", PM me or a moderator to unlock this.