Is Humanity Evolving?

Started by Vell, March 28, 2009, 12:55:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vell

Autistic Savants. They can't function in our society at all. Yet we've all seen Rain Man. We've SEEN how quick and how immediate they can process data. We know the brilliancies they are capable of. Ok then, but they aren't 'intelligent'. They can't communicate, they can't function at all, LITERALLY, outside of their small comfort zone.

Aspies. Aspergers Syndrome. Like Autism, only milder. Usually, but not always, smarter than the average person. Not too much though, just like High School would be like 'if i handed in my homework and was all BLAH for everythign else, I'd pass with a 95... in everything.' that's sort of... me. Having never studied, EVER, I still do the best in nearly everything i do. I'm gettin pretty kick-ass in Brawl. I am Aspie.

I've heard tell from a trustworthy source that there IS one Savant-level person in the world who can TELL you how he thinks. he's like the perfect cross between an Aspie and a Savant. He's sociable, he can interact, yet he still thinks how we aspies and autistics do. he is AS SMART as savant. he can do math that would take anyone else probably days in his head. This, I believe, is where humanity is heading. All evolutions go in stages, yet humanity has never had a chance to document it as it happened. we have a chance, Now.

Sure, for now our intelligence comes at a social-loss. but a lot of the standard social rules make no logical sense. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the argument 'Yeah I agree, it shouldn't matter how you look, but sometimes it's just the logical choice. Like when you're going for a job interview.' when my entire statement was that it SHOULDNT matter what you look like. My hair is clean. My clothes are clean. I have sensory issues. I CANT STAND JEANS. or dress pants. I like sweats. theyre comfortable.

It seems to me like a lot of our mentality is wasted on dealing with the opinions of others, or with looking right. or Acting right. At my job I'm supposed to be like this, and do this. at home I'm supposed to be like this. Oh but if we go here, you can't wear that, and if you don't do this and this and this, and say that to this guy, and shake that person's hand, and if you don't follow some strange cultural rule you're spposed to instinctually know but that you don't because its total BS you'll totally embarass yourself. and you don't want that, do you?

RoseSkye

Since you sprinkled random in your thread and that's the way I like my threads.

I'll insert my two cents. Humanity as a whole wouldn't evolve since this isn't much of a phenom but a luck of a draw.
It's like hitting all 777's in life. At the same time it would be like hitting the whammy after gambling the same amount of money.

Only a select few are born with this.. and be it as it may there is a thing as "too wise". When are in a world full of constant moving and you stop to see it spinning all you see is faces and blurs. It's a dangerous thing to be honest. This is my take on it.. if you think too hard on life and how short and pointless it is or if you separate yourself from others too much you can frighten yourself.

Now as far as evolution is concerned unless we come up with an immortality potion its pointless even assuming that humans are evolving any further. To me that's like saying snakes are shedding skin more frequently. Sure it's wondrous to see the snake growing.. but it is pointless in the long run.

I digress... my point was before I started rambling. If humanity was evolving it would have nothing to do with a luck draw birth. Evolution is a inherited change in future generations.. You can't have a horse give birth to a giraffe one time and then say it evolved even though it only gave birth to one giraffe. Sure it may be in the gene pool from now on but it would be a fluke birth.. as opposed to the millions of years it would take to evolve to say.. an amphibian.. or a mermaid .. or something like that.

Fallen Angel X

Not necessarily millions of years for humans. With technology nowadays, human lifespans are lengthening! Is that not evolving, even a little bit? But I agree with Rose that evolution is progressive. And Rose, humans have evolved from the past, to say that we are at our peak and can no longer evolve is a tad conceited. If you want an example of how we've evolved through time, there is many! Our canine teeth, for example, they used to be so much larger and sharper. Perhaps we won't see such a drastic change in the human anatomy in our lifetime, perhaps we will. Who knows? Nature is very unpredictable.

As far as the savant goes, Ulta could be right. It could be the start of a new evolution. Or it may not. There's no actual evidence I have to say something about that.

Now to the conforming point of Ulta's. Now, my grade 10 religion book (Which is filled with a lot of bs), says that humans are social creatures and that we desire to make connections with others. It also says that we cannot live life solitary because we would go insane.  So yes, we do what we don't want to, to fit in. Atleast that's what my textbook implies.

Blizzard

I think I need to mention here that humans might be interfering with their own evolution. During the evolution, most species got more and more fingers on their forelegs or hands. Humans have 5. 6 is considered a genetic failure. Can you see my point? What if 6 fingers are one step closer to our next form as evolving species? I remember in a Sci-Fi movie something like 300 years in the future (I'm very sure it was 5th Element, but I'm not 100% sure) there was a sort of piano concert. The protagonist was kind of apologetic when he realized the piano player had 6 fingers. Another character in the movie replied to him how that would be the only way the masterpiece could be actually played; by having 12 fingers.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

shdwlink1993

Throwing in my two cents:

Ulta, you do have a point with that. Maybe this is the next step. Maybe we're progressing. It's possible. Doctors are diagnosing people with Autism more and more frequently. Heck, I'm autistic. So are most people I know, to some extent. I'm not the most social person in the world, but I know quite a few people.

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 28, 2009, 06:32:53 am
It also says that we cannot live life solitary because we would go insane.

I... actually don't agree with your religion textbook. At all. I've been in my room all spring break. Sitting on my computer doing whatever I feel like for a week. My mom hardly comes in. Nobody else does at all. I'm hardly on the verge of developing insanity. Maybe it's more like a month, but I'll see about that come Summer Vacation, perhaps?

@Blizz: It wasn't The 5th Element (That had an alien diva). I think you mean GATTACA?
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Fallen Angel X

Well, in a sense, evolution is a lot like adapting. Humans don't need their fang teeth as much anymore so we lost them. I wouldn't say we've "interfered" with our evolution but rather, we redirected it. Technology (Yes I know, I sound like a broken record player and my points are redundant) is lengthening our lifespan and reducing our needs for other things. Who knows what that can cause? Our bodies will probably need less energy since technology is reducing the amount of physical work needed to survive. But then, technology could probably replace what we've lost. We'll probably become even more dependant on technology, which is probably a bad thing. Technology isn't stopping or hindering evolution but altering, good or bad way is up to debate but w/e.

Blizzard, I see what you're saying but I think that the reason 6 fingers is considered a genetic failure is because it's not consistent enough. It's a genetic mutation that isn't common enough to be considered the next evolution. Perhaps in time, when every child has 6 fingers, we can claim that we've evolved. And no extra limb/body part that occurs via radiation or any unsafe method doesn't count. Because face it, if a man fell in a vat of radioactive waste and became 50 ft. tall, reproducing such a feat for everyone else is highly unlikely. But a child with 6 fingers, through genetics not radiation, can definetly be seen as evolution! It's just that many people have a tendency to say that if something is different, it's a failure.

Quote from: shdwlink1993 on March 28, 2009, 10:25:14 am
It also says that we cannot live life solitary because we would go insane.

I... actually don't agree with your religion textbook. At all. I've been in my room all spring break. Sitting on my computer doing whatever I feel like for a week. My mom hardly comes in. Nobody else does at all. I'm hardly on the verge of developing insanity. Maybe it's more like a month, but I'll see about that come Summer Vacation, perhaps?

I think my religion textbook refers to living all of your life alone and solitary. Not just a week. Personally, I think my religion speaks a lot of bs but I'm too lazy to find any decent arguements. But I would have to admit, living alone for your entire life would make you maybe a tad eccentric.

Blizzard

shdw, being social prevents from going insane because of the change. You can also live in solitude and not be insane. Sure, people will be always like "OMG, HE'S AN INSANE OLD MAN", but that's wrong by definition. It would only make you unsocial, not insane.

And nah, I don't think I watched GATTACA so I think it can't be that.

@FAX: If we keep "repairing" the 6 fingers, it will never be common enough. :/ Also, humanity might not evolve as a whole. There are many of us so it's probable that we will evolve differently because of the high genetic variety and various combination among all humans.
I'm not saying that 6 fingers is evolution, all I'm saying is that we could be hindering evolution. The 6 fingers was just an example.

Radioactive waste would kill a human being. You can't get super powers from radioactivity. Except if you consider sterility or the destruction (NOT ALTERATION!) of genetic material to be evolution. o.o;

Being eccentric is a divergence of the social aspect. That's pretty much what you just said. And that's true. Just because you're eccentric doesn't mean that you're insane. You are just focusing your thoughts on something that isn't the other person. Maybe a bit too much, but that is the consequence of being alone.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fallen Angel X

Oh I was just exaggerating a point. But there are instances where genetics were altered due to radiation, which is unsafe. If I recall, areas that have been irradiated (Japan and Russia, for example) experienced more genetic mutation. So my point was that if it was caused by an unstable or unsafe element, we can't classify it as evolution. Of course, my memory is failing me these days xD

RoseSkye

Not necessarily millions of years for humans. With technology nowadays, human lifespans are lengthening! Is that not evolving, even a little bit? But I agree with Rose that evolution is progressive. And Rose, humans have evolved from the past, to say that we are at our peak and can no longer evolve is a tad conceited. If you want an example of how we've evolved through time, there is many! Our canine teeth, for example, they used to be so much larger and sharper. Perhaps we won't see such a drastic change in the human anatomy in our lifetime, perhaps we will. Who knows? Nature is very unpredictable.

As far as the savant goes, Ulta could be right. It could be the start of a new evolution. Or it may not. There's no actual evidence I have to say something about that.

Now to the conforming point of Ulta's. Now, my grade 10 religion book (Which is filled with a lot of bs), says that humans are social creatures and that we desire to make connections with others. It also says that we cannot live life solitary because we would go insane.  So yes, we do what we don't want to, to fit in. Atleast that's what my textbook implies.

No.. I didn't say that. I said it was pointless because we're going to die anyway regardless.

Fallen Angel X

Quote from: RoseSkye on March 28, 2009, 03:47:30 pm

No.. I didn't say that. I said it was pointless because we're going to die anyway regardless.

Sorry, I misinterpreted you then. :^_^':

Well, if you want to put things in that perspective, what's the point of anything then? Basically, everything that we strive for doesn't matter unless it develops an immortality potion or whatnot. But even then, what does that accomplish? But I digress. Well, if you find it to be pointless, that's your opinion. But I disagree. Atleast for the sake of arguement :D

RoseSkye

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 28, 2009, 03:55:38 pm
Quote from: RoseSkye on March 28, 2009, 03:47:30 pm

Sorry, I misinterpreted you then. :^_^':

Well, if you want to put things in that perspective, what's the point of anything then? Basically, everything that we strive for doesn't matter unless it develops an immortality potion or whatnot. But even then, what does that accomplish? But I digress. Well, if you find it to be pointless, that's your opinion. But I disagree. Atleast for the sake of arguement :D

Nothing. Life is a joke just ask the comedian.

Fallen Angel X

Quote from: RoseSkye on March 28, 2009, 04:04:33 pm
Nothing. Life is a joke just ask the comedian.

I would but the comedian is dead. The poor comedian :( But we're straying off topic! But then, I don't have anything productive to say right now xD

RoseSkye

My point.. becoming smarter isn't evolution.

Evolution is something like..growing wings.. or something that every human being has eventually gained the ability to do.

As in human evolved from primates to humans. . or humans evolved into hairless apes.

Fallen Angel X

I doubt evolution is just physical.

Quote from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/EvolutionEvolution
1. any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane. 
2. a product of such development; something evolved: The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research. 
3. Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.
4. a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development, as in social or economic structure or institutions.
5. a motion incomplete in itself, but combining with coordinated motions to produce a single action, as in a machine.
6. a pattern formed by or as if by a series of movements: the evolutions of a figure skater. 
7. an evolving or giving off of gas, heat, etc.
8. Mathematics. the extraction of a root from a quantity. Compare involution (def. 8).
9. a movement or one of a series of movements of troops, ships, etc., as for disposition in order of battle or in line on parade.
10. any similar movement, esp. in close order drill.

Genetics also affect the brain, the source of our knowledge. If the brain evolves, so do we. After all it's a part of us. But in the end, humans evolve, which is what I'm assuming the debate is about. And no one seems to say otherwise.

RoseSkye

March 28, 2009, 04:27:11 pm #14 Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:28:23 pm by RoseSkye
Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 28, 2009, 04:25:42 pm
I doubt evolution is just physical.

Quote from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/EvolutionEvolution
1. any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane. 
2. a product of such development; something evolved: The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research. 
3. Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.
4. a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development, as in social or economic structure or institutions.
5. a motion incomplete in itself, but combining with coordinated motions to produce a single action, as in a machine.
6. a pattern formed by or as if by a series of movements: the evolutions of a figure skater. 
7. an evolving or giving off of gas, heat, etc.
8. Mathematics. the extraction of a root from a quantity. Compare involution (def. 8).
9. a movement or one of a series of movements of troops, ships, etc., as for disposition in order of battle or in line on parade.
10. any similar movement, esp. in close order drill.

Genetics also affect the brain, the source of our knowledge. If the brain evolves, so do we. After all it's a part of us. But in the end, humans evolve, which is what I'm assuming the debate is about. And no one seems to say otherwise.

-.- but we aren't BORN with the knowledge we learn it.

I see if a baby comes out of the womb and goes "Hey, nice day today huh? It was dark in there.. thanks. Please dont hit me I'm alive" but it doesn't. It comes out of the womb confused because some dude smacked its ass.

Fallen Angel X

Intelligence isn't just about how MUCH we know but rather, our ability to learn.

Quote from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/IntelligenceKnowledge
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit. 
3. the faculty of understanding.
4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
5. the gathering or distribution of information, esp. secret information.
6. Government. a. information about an enemy or a potential enemy.
b. the evaluated conclusions drawn from such information.
c. an organization or agency engaged in gathering such information: military intelligence; naval intelligence. 

7. interchange of information: They have been maintaining intelligence with foreign agents for years. 
8. Christian Science. a fundamental attribute of God, or infinite Mind.
9. (often initial capital letter) an intelligent being or spirit, esp. an incorporeal one, as an angel.

Vell

Quote from: Blizzard on March 28, 2009, 07:24:28 am
I think I need to mention here that humans might be interfering with their own evolution. During the evolution, most species got more and more fingers on their forelegs or hands. Humans have 5. 6 is considered a genetic failure. Can you see my point? What if 6 fingers are one step closer to our next form as evolving species? I remember in a Sci-Fi movie something like 300 years in the future (I'm very sure it was 5th Element, but I'm not 100% sure) there was a sort of piano concert. The protagonist was kind of apologetic when he realized the piano player had 6 fingers. Another character in the movie replied to him how that would be the only way the masterpiece could be actually played; by having 12 fingers.

GATTACA.

umm... Blizz, about the six fingered thing... polyploidy is actually dominant, genetically, over the standard 5 fingers.

RoseSkye

March 28, 2009, 05:21:58 pm #17 Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 05:23:08 pm by RoseSkye
Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 28, 2009, 04:34:13 pm
Intelligence isn't just about how MUCH we know but rather, our ability to learn.

Quote from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/IntelligenceKnowledge
1. capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
2. manifestation of a high mental capacity: He writes with intelligence and wit. 
3. the faculty of understanding.
4. knowledge of an event, circumstance, etc., received or imparted; news; information.
5. the gathering or distribution of information, esp. secret information.
6. Government. a. information about an enemy or a potential enemy.
b. the evaluated conclusions drawn from such information.
c. an organization or agency engaged in gathering such information: military intelligence; naval intelligence. 

7. interchange of information: They have been maintaining intelligence with foreign agents for years. 
8. Christian Science. a fundamental attribute of God, or infinite Mind.
9. (often initial capital letter) an intelligent being or spirit, esp. an incorporeal one, as an angel.

.. Okay you're not getting me.
We're writing down shit in text books. Things that are not learned from personal experiences rather than generic happenstances in a set point in time..

Now if you spank a dog and point towards a turd that he made eventually he'll go "hmm..perhaps I'm getting hit because of that."  Now that wont stop his puppy from taking a crap whereever he feels like.

as opposed to a dog coming out of the womb and being raised or immediately knowing where or where not to take craps.

Same thing with human kids. They take craps wherever they want but the diaper keeps it from falling. We have to teach kids not to do that.. now the difference between us and dogs is that dogs don't teach their puppies not to do that.
-----------------------------------------------------
Now lets go to example b.

A lion is born knowing that he must eat to survive. A lion is born to hone the skill to hunt by "play fighting" with its brother/sister cubs.

If not.. the lion would eat leaves and graze with gazelles.

A gazelle instinctively knows that if they see a lion or a cheetah, run like hell.

A human is born knowing that they must eat/drink to survive. Don't believe me? Put a baby's mouth to a bottle or a womans nipple and I promise you if that baby is hungry it'll drink. However, a baby can't discern what's edible and what's not.

Anyone can -learn- anything if you repeat it enough. However evolution would be an inherited ability to know instinctively. Like walking, crawling, or drinking milk from the mother.

---------------------------------------------------------

Though I must admit the OP is closer to evolution than you.. however since it's not inherited it's not a good example.

Vell

Autism and Asperger's Syndrome IS genetic. I, myself, got it from my father. who got it from HIS father. I also know my mom's family has a history of Autism somewhere or another. It doesn't ALWAYS pass down from a parent. there have been cases of people with autism whove had no family history of it.

and an evolution has to start somewhere. Evolution takes time. Did you kno that Albert Einstein was aspie/autistic? I also heard from a trusted source that the person at columbine was most likely Aspie or Autistic. It was never confirmed or anything, but the behavioral patterns fit. Scientists also think Beethoven was as well. hell. Satoshi Tajiri, creator of pokemon, is aspie/autistic.

You're more likely to be born Autistic than you are to be in a car crash.

and Rose. Intelligence is the Capacity to learn. I'm not seeing what your side is here. Duh, we have to learn stuff, but if the human mind becomes more adapt and swift at processing data, then that, in and of itself, is an evolution. Autism is becoming more and more frequent, and the spectrum is wide. I myself have had several different diagnosis throughout my lifetime.

Blizzard

Capacity to learn IS a part of evolution, knowledge and experience isn't (as stated before).
You all remember Tarzan, don't you? That scenario isn't so realistic (apes raising a human baby), but the end result is. A human being that survived in the wild for its entire life would pretty much be like Tarzan is. Fact is that the human race hasn't become any "smarter" in the last 30000 years. We just know more.