Is Humanity Evolving?

Started by Vell, March 28, 2009, 12:55:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vell

I'm not sure if you get the point of the debate. I intended this debate to be 'is humanity evolving? Are we, as a race, in the process of becoming more intelligent?' Autism IS becoming more genetically frequent.

Blizzard

March 28, 2009, 05:54:38 pm #21 Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 05:55:47 pm by Blizzard
I just wanted to underline that humans didn't get smarter in the last 30000 years. As we all know evolution can be a process of millions of years. It's very unlikely that humans will suddenly evolve extremely within just a few centuries or even millenia.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fallen Angel X

Rose, you're not quite getting what I'm saying. You're right, I said it's not about what we know! I already said it's our capacity to learn! And so, I'll use one of your examples to prove my point.

QuoteNow if you spank a dog and point towards a turd that he made eventually he'll go "hmm..perhaps I'm getting hit because of that."  Now that wont stop his puppy from taking a crap whereever he feels like.

as opposed to a dog coming out of the womb and being raised or immediately knowing where or where not to take craps.

Same thing with human kids. They take craps wherever they want but the diaper keeps it from falling. We have to teach kids not to do that.. now the difference between us and dogs is that dogs don't teach their puppies not to do that.

How many times would you have to spank that dog? Several times no doubt. It'll take the dog's mind a bit of time before it can grasp the concept. Now, if the dog's mind/brain evolved, it would take less time for it to grasp the concept. You're correct, we're not born with the knowledge but we sure as hell can learn faster. And if we take that capacity to learn as the basis of being smart, then it definetly counts as evolving. Evolution doesn't have to be physically visible.

Now to answer Ulta's question, I think that humans are evolving for sure. I don't think it's possible to stop evolving, unless you press B continuously.

RoseSkye

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 28, 2009, 07:47:52 pm
Rose, you're not quite getting what I'm saying. You're right, I said it's not about what we know! I already said it's our capacity to learn! And so, I'll use one of your examples to prove my point.

QuoteNow if you spank a dog and point towards a turd that he made eventually he'll go "hmm..perhaps I'm getting hit because of that."  Now that wont stop his puppy from taking a crap whereever he feels like.

as opposed to a dog coming out of the womb and being raised or immediately knowing where or where not to take craps.

Same thing with human kids. They take craps wherever they want but the diaper keeps it from falling. We have to teach kids not to do that.. now the difference between us and dogs is that dogs don't teach their puppies not to do that.

How many times would you have to spank that dog? Several times no doubt. It'll take the dog's mind a bit of time before it can grasp the concept. Now, if the dog's mind/brain evolved, it would take less time for it to grasp the concept. You're correct, we're not born with the knowledge but we sure as hell can learn faster. And if we take that capacity to learn as the basis of being smart, then it definetly counts as evolving. Evolution doesn't have to be physically visible.

Now to answer Ulta's question, I think that humans are evolving for sure. I don't think it's possible to stop evolving, unless you press B continuously.

I got that b joke.. I feel  like a nerd.

Also that capacity thing.. hit an elephant once and he'll know for the rest of his/her life. Hit a human once and he'll/she'll eventually forget.

Vell

Well yeah. that's not capacity, just development in different areas. I don't care if u punch me randomly, but an elephant doenst forget Anything. it's what elephants do. they developed thatw ay for a reason. but humans dont need infallible memory(though itd help) so we don't have it. it has nothing to do with an elephant having more mental capacity than we do. are you even thinking in this debate?

shdwlink1993

Quote from: RoseSkye on March 28, 2009, 09:51:37 pm
I don't think it's possible to stop evolving, unless you press B continuously.

Don't worry, Rose. So did I.
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

RoseSkye

Quote from: UltaFlame on March 28, 2009, 10:10:29 pm
Well yeah. that's not capacity, just development in different areas. I don't care if u punch me randomly, but an elephant doenst forget Anything. it's what elephants do. they developed thatw ay for a reason. but humans dont need infallible memory(though itd help) so we don't have it. it has nothing to do with an elephant having more mental capacity than we do. are you even thinking in this debate?

Do I need to? I stated my opinion in my first post. I mean I could debate till the sun comes out but it wouldn't mean diddly.

Fallen Angel X

So why even bother posting in this debate? If you support your opinion, you'd try to make it get across to the other people, you haven't yet. And who knows, debating can change a person's perspective on some things. That's worth more than diddly.

Quote from: RoseSkye on March 28, 2009, 09:51:37 pm
I don't think it's possible to stop evolving, unless you press B continuously.

Are you implying I'm a nerd? D:

:V:

Punn

Yes... we're evolving.. but in reverse.

Blizzard

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Fallen Angel X

Wrong Blizz.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biological_devolutionIn common parlance, "devolution", or backward evolution is the notion a species may evolve into more "primitive" forms. From a scientific perspective, devolution does not exist.[1][2] Lay people may see evolution as "progress", reflecting the 19th century ideas of Lamarckism and orthogenesis, but modern genetically-based biological evolution theory asserts that evolution occurs by such mechanisms as natural selection, genetic drift, and mutation, and is therefore not directional, forward or backward in time; hence "devolution" is not a valid concept.

Sorry, I just like searching stuff up. xD

Blizzard

My point is still valid. What Punn meant is called devolution. It's just that it's not a valid concept. xD

Vell

I HAD to get that B joke. I play the most recent games...

Blizzard

I think the people that didn't get it are a minority here. ._.; Obviously I know what's it refering to as well.

Vell

Blizzard

Not necessarily. I mean who DIDN'T play it.

Anyway, back on topic. We all know that evolution is a process. Humanity is evolving probably all the time. There's just the question if we might be interfering.

Vell

we probably are. I mean, as a standard I say 'I can do without, but if i don't HAVE to, I won't' which basically means I try to adapt to any situation as it happens. needful to say, I have yet to find a balance between quick thinking and far-planning.

Pokol DaErran

I agree with Punn on this one;  Humans are DEvolving.

Think about it.  Over the ages, humanity has not gotten MORE intelligent, it has gotten LESS intelligent.  You didn't see cavemen carrying out mass shootings then commiting suicide, now did you?

No, of course you didn't!  (Then again, nobody living today really saw cavemen do anything.)

But NOW, you can barely walk five feet without seeing another mass shooting on the news.

Yes, humanity is definitely evolving.  Evolving into idiots.
"...Sometimes, the impossible can become possible- if you're awesome!"
--Bolt

Blizzard

Quote from: A. EinsteinIntelligence is constant, but the world population is rapidly growing.

tSwitch

Humans are evolving, just not biologically.

Use this comparison to understand my point:
A Bacteria evolves to fend off penicillin, in order to survive
A Human develops medicine to fight off a disease in order to survive

We're not allowing nature to evolve our species for us, we're developing technology to do it instead.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr