Is Humanity Evolving?

Started by Vell, March 28, 2009, 12:55:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pokol DaErran

April 08, 2009, 12:12:24 pm #40 Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 12:13:35 pm by Pokola
Quote from: Doris on April 08, 2009, 04:24:21 am
Quote from: A. EinsteinIntelligence is constant, but the world population is rapidly growing.

ROFL.

By the way, Foxy had a good point there.  Of course, the evolution of technology could be our downfall... XD
For example:
Quote from: R.J. (Over The Hedge)THAT is an SUV.  Humans ride around in them because they are slowly losing their ability to walk.

(Now I have to come back and edit this post after Transsexual Week ends!  XD)
"...Sometimes, the impossible can become possible- if you're awesome!"
--Bolt

Blizzard

I agree with NAMK. It looks like humans have taken things into their own hands. But with that we've also sped up the evolution of things around us. As already said, today there are bacteria that are immune to penicilin. We've made them evolve as well. But we didn't evolve naturally while they did...
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

tSwitch

Quote from: Doris on April 09, 2009, 05:01:23 am
I agree with NAMK. It looks like humans have taken things into their own hands. But with that we've also sped up the evolution of things around us. As already said, today there are bacteria that are immune to penicilin. We've made them evolve as well. But we didn't evolve naturally while they did...

The Human body doesn't need to evolve any further.  We can live in just about any condition as we are, due to the technology we have developed.  Human evolution is now technological, and mental, no longer our physical forms (mostly).

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Vell

which is why i believe humanity's mental capability is evolving in relation to the necessary future neccessity required to further evolve our technology's strength and ability to help us further adapt to situations.

Blizzard

Actually a friend of mine believes something completely different. She thinks that people will turn back to nature and stop being so selfish. I personally think that this isn't going to happen. I wonder if that is a consequence of social evolution or maybe something else related to this.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

tSwitch

Quote from: Doris on April 09, 2009, 01:44:56 pm
Actually a friend of mine believes something completely different. She thinks that people will turn back to nature and stop being so selfish.

I'm sorry, I laughed really hard

The thing that separates man from the other animals of the world is our ability to create and utilize tools.  As well as the fact that where other species adapt to their surroundings, we adapt our surroundings to us.  Most animals live as nature allows them, we use nature to live as we wish.  This is one of the things that makes us human.

Blizzard

I understand why you laughed. I couldn't laugh, but I'm totally like "yeah right". Sure, I tell her that it's possible. But that's it. I don't believe it will happen.

Seox

Quote from: UltaFlame on March 28, 2009, 12:55:51 am
Autistic Savants. They can't function in our society at all. Yet we've all seen Rain Man. We've SEEN how quick and how immediate they can process data. We know the brilliancies they are capable of. Ok then, but they aren't 'intelligent'. They can't communicate, they can't function at all, LITERALLY, outside of their small comfort zone.

Aspies. Aspergers Syndrome. Like Autism, only milder. Usually, but not always, smarter than the average person. Not too much though, just like High School would be like 'if i handed in my homework and was all BLAH for everythign else, I'd pass with a 95... in everything.' that's sort of... me. Having never studied, EVER, I still do the best in nearly everything i do. I'm gettin pretty kick-ass in Brawl. I am Aspie.

I've heard tell from a trustworthy source that there IS one Savant-level person in the world who can TELL you how he thinks. he's like the perfect cross between an Aspie and a Savant. He's sociable, he can interact, yet he still thinks how we aspies and autistics do. he is AS SMART as savant. he can do math that would take anyone else probably days in his head. This, I believe, is where humanity is heading. All evolutions go in stages, yet humanity has never had a chance to document it as it happened. we have a chance, Now.

Sure, for now our intelligence comes at a social-loss. but a lot of the standard social rules make no logical sense. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the argument 'Yeah I agree, it shouldn't matter how you look, but sometimes it's just the logical choice. Like when you're going for a job interview.' when my entire statement was that it SHOULDNT matter what you look like. My hair is clean. My clothes are clean. I have sensory issues. I CANT STAND JEANS. or dress pants. I like sweats. theyre comfortable.

It seems to me like a lot of our mentality is wasted on dealing with the opinions of others, or with looking right. or Acting right. At my job I'm supposed to be like this, and do this. at home I'm supposed to be like this. Oh but if we go here, you can't wear that, and if you don't do this and this and this, and say that to this guy, and shake that person's hand, and if you don't follow some strange cultural rule you're spposed to instinctually know but that you don't because its total BS you'll totally embarass yourself. and you don't want that, do you?

I've been diagnosed with asperger's as of VERY recently. I'm 16, by the way. I RARELY study, and just got AB honor roll all year in AP classes (well, I had two, but had A's and B's in them alongside everything else.). I have a tested IQ of 129, and made a 30 on my ACT the first time around. So, yeah, I think that we're both evidence of what you mention.

Regardless, humanity MUST be evolving, because NO species STAGNATES. The problem is that because physical evolution is no longer emphasized, we may, in theory, be DE-VOLVING. Think about this:

***holes reproduce more, because they whore themselves. Therefore more ***hole babies. Because, in America, intellectuals are shunned, wheras, to my knowledge, in, say, the UK, intellects are treated as the jocks are here. Point being, at least in America, because the intellectually inferior reproduce more (for the most part. Stereotypes tend not to be completely true, but mostly so, in this case.), their traits are passed on more often. Point being, I'd say that qualities that help us to survive in the wild, and qualities that help us to survive in the context of the padded room, cookie cutter world which humans have created, are NOT actually the ones being passed on.

Now, of course, that's me talking. I'm pissed, as far as that goes, and, one could argue that those who attempt to remain monogamous actually have more successful reproductive occurrences, then, in fact, their traits are being passed on more.

Either way, natural selection, in the context of humans, no longer exists. However, it is indeed molded by what humanity has become.
... (<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< TEH DOTS OF DOOM. Hey, kinda catchy. :naughty:)

Vell

natural selection exists. The humans in europe, the americas, and japan, dominated the world. as such, the people in africa and asia are now suffering.

And... I think you're mistaken in something. your a teen. your in high school. you see adults(teachers) and other students. thus, this is where your world view comes from. Never trust the media to accurately represent anything. I've seen people come out of shitty places with awesome personalities. one of my own parents is psychologically classified as the invulnerable child.

I say, before you decide things, age a bit. let yourself become an adult, and think hard about everything you see around you then. seek out the good things, act positively, be optimistic. mature yourself, because you never are as mature as you could be. learn some new skills. then reconsider the Devolution theory. it can't happen. i know way too many incredibly smart people.

Seox

Quote from: UltaFlame on June 14, 2009, 11:37:39 am
natural selection exists. The humans in europe, the americas, and japan, dominated the world. as such, the people in africa and asia are now suffering.

And... I think you're mistaken in something. your a teen. your in high school. you see adults(teachers) and other students. thus, this is where your world view comes from. Never trust the media to accurately represent anything. I've seen people come out of shitty places with awesome personalities. one of my own parents is psychologically classified as the invulnerable child.

I say, before you decide things, age a bit. let yourself become an adult, and think hard about everything you see around you then. seek out the good things, act positively, be optimistic. mature yourself, because you never are as mature as you could be. learn some new skills. then reconsider the Devolution theory. it can't happen. i know way too many incredibly smart people.

I definitely agree with you there as far as aging, and always being able to mature. Teenage years tend to be FAR less stable, when compared to the mind of an adult. I know exactly what you're talking about as far as bias. Regardless, my opinion is pretty much this : natural selection isn't the same as it used to be. What humans are has influenced it.

I do like the point:

Quotenatural selection exists. The humans in europe, the americas, and japan, dominated the world. as such, the people in africa and asia are now suffering.

I've never really thought about that, but it rings true. Thanks for enlightening me ^_^

Vell

your welcome. and about the 'what humans are has influenced it' everything influences it. people learned to domesticate animals in order to live and increase. Limiting factor: Nomad want food. Nomat not want hunt. Nomad want be lazy. Nomad want food from ground. Nomad see plants in ground. Nomad farm.

tSwitch

Quote from: UltaFlame on June 14, 2009, 11:37:39 am

I don't think there's a direct correlation.
The reason they are "suffering" is because of a difference in lifestyles.  Africans are for the most part tribal, and don't have a lot of technology, and China is really just overpopulated.

Europeans didn't make them that way, nor the Americans, it's because that's how they live.

Vell

well, true. imperialism and mercantilism didn't help them much economically, though.

Seox

The example is irrelevant compared to the theory. Point being, wars and other major events obviously MUST effect natural selection.

IE radiation in Japan after atom bombs. (And speaking of which, is it still radioactive?) I'm sure, at some point, that people nearby who started dying were survived by more people who could better resist it.

In other words, natural selection isn't always selected naturally.

XD.

Just a thought.

Vell

Eh. this topic is old anyway. humans, at their core, are just as natural as everything else.

fugibo

June 14, 2009, 05:21:33 pm #55 Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:48:57 pm by WcW
Quote from: Blizzard on April 09, 2009, 05:01:23 am

We didn't make them evolve, we gave them a target.
Quote from: Seox on June 13, 2009, 11:18:22 pm
Quote from: UltaFlame on March 28, 2009, 12:55:51 am
Autistic Savants. They can't function in our society at all. Yet we've all seen Rain Man. We've SEEN how quick and how immediate they can process data. We know the brilliancies they are capable of. Ok then, but they aren't 'intelligent'. They can't communicate, they can't function at all, LITERALLY, outside of their small comfort zone.

Aspies. Aspergers Syndrome. Like Autism, only milder. Usually, but not always, smarter than the average person. Not too much though, just like High School would be like 'if i handed in my homework and was all BLAH for everythign else, I'd pass with a 95... in everything.' that's sort of... me. Having never studied, EVER, I still do the best in nearly everything i do. I'm gettin pretty kick-ass in Brawl. I am Aspie.

I've heard tell from a trustworthy source that there IS one Savant-level person in the world who can TELL you how he thinks. he's like the perfect cross between an Aspie and a Savant. He's sociable, he can interact, yet he still thinks how we aspies and autistics do. he is AS SMART as savant. he can do math that would take anyone else probably days in his head. This, I believe, is where humanity is heading. All evolutions go in stages, yet humanity has never had a chance to document it as it happened. we have a chance, Now.

Sure, for now our intelligence comes at a social-loss. but a lot of the standard social rules make no logical sense. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the argument 'Yeah I agree, it shouldn't matter how you look, but sometimes it's just the logical choice. Like when you're going for a job interview.' when my entire statement was that it SHOULDNT matter what you look like. My hair is clean. My clothes are clean. I have sensory issues. I CANT STAND JEANS. or dress pants. I like sweats. theyre comfortable.

It seems to me like a lot of our mentality is wasted on dealing with the opinions of others, or with looking right. or Acting right. At my job I'm supposed to be like this, and do this. at home I'm supposed to be like this. Oh but if we go here, you can't wear that, and if you don't do this and this and this, and say that to this guy, and shake that person's hand, and if you don't follow some strange cultural rule you're spposed to instinctually know but that you don't because its total BS you'll totally embarass yourself. and you don't want that, do you?

I've been diagnosed with asperger's as of VERY recently. I'm 16, by the way. I RARELY study, and just got AB honor roll all year in AP classes (well, I had two, but had A's and B's in them alongside everything else.). I have a tested IQ of 129, and made a 30 on my ACT the first time around. So, yeah, I think that we're both evidence of what you mention.

Regardless, humanity MUST be evolving, because NO species STAGNATES. The problem is that because physical evolution is no longer emphasized, we may, in theory, be DE-VOLVING. Think about this:

***holes reproduce more, because they whore themselves. Therefore more ***hole babies. Because, in America, intellectuals are shunned, wheras, to my knowledge, in, say, the UK, intellects are treated as the jocks are here. Point being, at least in America, because the intellectually inferior reproduce more (for the most part. Stereotypes tend not to be completely true, but mostly so, in this case.), their traits are passed on more often. Point being, I'd say that qualities that help us to survive in the wild, and qualities that help us to survive in the context of the padded room, cookie cutter world which humans have created, are NOT actually the ones being passed on.

Now, of course, that's me talking. I'm pissed, as far as that goes, and, one could argue that those who attempt to remain monogamous actually have more successful reproductive occurrences, then, in fact, their traits are being passed on more.

Either way, natural selection, in the context of humans, no longer exists. However, it is indeed molded by what humanity has become.

35/148. I feel like I've kinda lost my touch recently, but w/e. I don't seem to have your sucky "ZOMG IS USIN CLINCZ ISANE FOR XCUZE NO SPEAK RIGHT" Aspys thing going on. I also happen to live in a hell-hole, so I get bonus points  8)
(IS DIRECTED AT ULTA, NOT SEOX, IS QUOTING SEOX CUZ HE LIKES HIS POST MOSTEST)

Vell

I'm not sure I get what you're saying in your post WcW, but I am pretty sure it's vastly irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Seox

Quote from: UltaFlame on June 14, 2009, 05:39:04 pm
I'm not sure I get what you're saying in your post WcW, but I am pretty sure it's vastly irrelevant to the topic at hand.

XD

WcW, you made a 35 and have an IQ of 148? (If I understand correctly.)

:O.o:

:ninja: The ninja is proud.

Really though, that's in, what, like, the 99.5th percentile?

NIIIIIIIIIIIII(insert 35 I's)CE.

fugibo

I don't consider it much of an accomplishment. I personally find ~30 to be the ideal target people should aim for. Upper 30s are rather easy to get, if you have ACT experience (I've taken it four times, getting 24-26-33-36, over two years, and I've learnt that to do best on the test, you have to realize the objective is to get it all done as fast and accurately as possible rather than taking a test -- fine distinction there -- to simulate the exorbitant amounts of work at college as well as the high standards you have to hit). And seriously, look around at that "99.5%" that I supposedly beat -- is beating most of them really an accomplishment? Really? Or is it a task a monkey could pull off?

Ulta, it relates to the Aspys topic. I believe you introduced that yourself.

And anyone who denies Natural Selection also denies logic. It's an undeniable fact of life. The theory of Evolution, on the other, is only a theory and is debatable (personally, as a Christian, I count it as a theory of how God might've populated the world, and it still makes sense -- but it could still be wrong), though it makes more sense than "GDO BLEW A DIRTPILE AN D MADE HUMEZ!!!!"

I should really work on organizing my thoughts. :(

Seox

Quote from: WcW on June 14, 2009, 08:55:08 pm
I don't consider it much of an accomplishment. I personally find ~30 to be the ideal target people should aim for. Upper 30s are rather easy to get, if you have ACT experience (I've taken it four times, getting 24-26-33-36, over two years, and I've learnt that to do best on the test, you have to realize the objective is to get it all done as fast and accurately as possible rather than taking a test -- fine distinction there -- to simulate the exorbitant amounts of work at college as well as the high standards you have to hit). And seriously, look around at that "99.5%" that I supposedly beat -- is beating most of them really an accomplishment? Really? Or is it a task a monkey could pull off?

Ulta, it relates to the Aspys topic. I believe you introduced that yourself.

And anyone who denies Natural Selection also denies logic. It's an undeniable fact of life. The theory of Evolution, on the other, is only a theory and is debatable (personally, as a Christian, I count it as a theory of how God might've populated the world, and it still makes sense -- but it could still be wrong), though it makes more sense than "GDO BLEW A DIRTPILE AN D MADE HUMEZ!!!!"

I should really work on organizing my thoughts. :(

XD, just as an aside, what do you think of those religious people who claim that "God(s) can't be taken logically, because they're 'beyond us'." I've gotten that WAAAAAAAY too many times, and, personally, I feel that People - Animals = Logic.

If people are "made in the image of ANY god(s)", then wouldn't logic, being the only distinction between ourselves and animals, be "godly?"

Just curious to see your opinion, WcW. If you think that this could start a trebuchet-based flame war, then (question = nil). I don't think it's that harmful, given the context, phrasing, question, etc.