Editing the game while playing it

Started by G_G, March 28, 2009, 02:37:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

March 28, 2009, 02:37:26 pm Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 02:39:12 pm by game_guy
First click on an event on the event layer that way its highlighted. Now press F12 and Enter at the same time and then keep mashing enter. The event should open up as well as the RGSS Player.

But wierd thing is y ou edit stuff and then you refresh the game by pressing F12 but it doenst change it. Well first edit what you need to while keeping the game open, then press Ctrl + S to save the game. Refresh the game by pressing F12 now. Load it up and changes have been saved and are now working. This is a great way to test scripts and stuff and if you need to change anything in events for an event system you can change it right than and there.

Have fun :) I know I will xD

The neat thing too is you can edit it with three different rgss players open. I just did it but you gotta mash enter after you press F12 and enter at the same time.

Blizzard

Actually there's a better way to do this. I use it in my game. I can alter maps, data, anything (except scripts) and load them into the game without restarting it. i.e. I realize a boss has an attack that is too strong and I'm halfway done killing him. I simply remove the attack, press the "Reload Data" button and that's it. :) Maybe I should release it as special mini script.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Aqua

@G_G:  Your method seems hazardous to my keyboard... lol

@Blizz:
Please do!!!
*puppy dog eyes*

Sally

@blizz: that seems like a very nice mini script that can help with playtesting and fixing events and in your case bosses.

Blizzard

Alright, I'll put it up somewhere during next week or tomorrow.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Well dont mash it real hard xD just press it repeatedly fast but softly

Blizzard

Use the F12 fix and you only have to press it once. :P Or run Game.exe rather that starting the game through the editor.

Sally

lol i run game.exe rather plan playtesting when i wanna check something out, ie like a pokemon battle i wanna see if its possible... so ill run game.exe insted of using debug mode.