Server Host?

Started by Fallen Angel X, March 30, 2009, 09:42:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fallen Angel X

So, I'm not really good at this sort of stuff but I have a friend who has a forum but his server host is terrible and completely restricts him. So my question is, what's a good free host for his forum?

Reno-s--Joker

o.O Who is he with at the moment? (... what kind of restrictions...?)

I'm not terribly good at this either but I know a few (so far so) good free site hosting thingies which allow you to easily add your own forum onto your site - that way you can have both a forum and a site! Yay.

...Although I have a feeling there's someone else on CP who'll know better than me.

Fallen Angel X

I can't remember the name right now but I do recall some of the restrictions. The host he has now doesn't really let him have much control over his forum. It doesn't let him add-on to it. Like he wants to add his own skins and some spoiler tags and a bunch of other stuff.

Me and him have currently looked into 110mb.com but I want to know a few more hosts.

Hellfire Dragon

byethost.com
000webhost.com <Some people say they're good but I signed up with them before and you when you tried to use a link to another page you would get a 'Redirection Loop' error and their tech support sucked and didn't help at all, they just kept telling me to "upgrade your package"
I know some more but I can't think of them right now >.<

Blizzard

000webhost.com is the best free webhost I know. It still has problems and it's generally not so good, but it's the best free host. I've tried so many of them, trust me, 000webhost is the best free host. CP was hosted there for a while. When I got fed up with it and got my PayPal finally working I moved CP to u2-web.com. $10 per month, but it's awesome. I had only 1 problem so far (it was just about payment) and it was solved properly.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Reno-s--Joker

I've only tried a few but izfree.com (you have to sign up for an account on their forum and get your site approved - doesn't take long) allows you to add a phbb3 or smf forum to your page without any tech knowledge (it uses Direct Admin or something - I'm sure there'll be other sites that do that). From there you're free to customise forums, download skins, make skins, eat skins, spoiler spoilers, whatever phbb3 or smf lets you do. Although I still say go with Blizzard's opinion.

Sally

you could also get a server and host it yourself.

but yeah i would use that one blizz said was good, it  looks good.

Tazero

www.webs.com has a new forum service if not i would suggest for the forum only *forumotion*

If you were a fish...

Gabbergon

I know a few, it all depends on what sort of forum you would like
here are a few free phpbb hosts:
setbb.com(I had a forum here, long time ago) - many add-ons
phpbbweb.com - many Templates
hostmybb.com - also many features
phpbb-host.com - +330 styles(I don't really like this one)
forumer.com - good features but only 30 styles
(all those are based on their phpbb2 features)

But maybe you think phpbb is not a good forum?
here are some non-phpbb
invisionfree.com - this one is great for a simple but fun forum(you also have good control over the forum)
smfforfree.com - I don't know much about SMF but cp seems to use it to(SMF, not the site)
freesmfhosting.com - another smf(looks fast loading)

Blizzard

I thought that invisionfree was rather bad. The skins are inconsistent and you don't have that much control over the forum. i.e. you can't ever make a backup while SMF can make you a backup over the admin panel. I should know, CP was an invisionfree forum for over a year. >.< I definitely recommend SMF even if you don't have full control over it.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Gabbergon

April 16, 2009, 10:27:36 am #10 Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:30:02 am by Horo
hmm, I had a forum there(lol, I don't know how much forums I actually HAD, they are probably deleted after 2-4 years)
I thought that I had a great control over the html and css codes
besides, it was a forum wich actually had more than 3 member  :P
I don't know why I created that much.

EDIT:HAHAHA!!!! My board on invisionfree still exist... Too bad I forgot my pass Just got in, LOL 9 members
I feel like an idiot reading those story from then, its even worse it was just 3 years ago!
(it would be worthless if I tell the URL, its dutch  :^_^': )

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

Hellfire Dragon

SMF would probably one of the top choices, I used to use it, and invisionfree, though instead of invisionfree I recommend Jcink forums which is a modified version of Invision Power Boards, with some good mods like a gallery, download system, arcade, text-based rpg (army system) and some other things. Definetly the better option if you're going for invision boards, though good themes that aren't being used on every other JFB forums are hard to find, unless you make your own.

Starrodkirby86

Invisionfree is like a basic version of the Invision Power Boards, isn't it? I mean, it's limited in a lot of choices. I'm still very familiar to the system at least, so it's good when I'm presented a problem that is Invisionfree-related.

SMF is a great forum choice provided you maintain it right. But then again, that's for every forum. :P

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Gabbergon

April 16, 2009, 03:44:15 pm #15 Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:54:07 pm by Horo
I feel a bit like an outsider now :'(
but you have not really that much limits with invisionfree
I am talking bout layout
and i never heard of Jcink forums, but I don't really care
for creating a forum anymore
I've looked up things about SMF, it would probably be better than invasion
but still, phpbb is a great way to create a good forum

@Down:Idd,its hard to find a good host with good styles AND good features

Blizzard

I've tried phpbb a bit, but I didn't like it at all. IDK, the layout seems kinda undeveloped to me. As if it's not even W3C v1 compliant. o_o; Maybe it's just me, but I think the forum is kinda ugly. xD