[HELP ME]STEAM and other network programs over a firewalled network

Started by GAX, April 07, 2009, 02:34:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GAX

So I'll explain the situation...

My college has a school-wide wifi setup here which is pretty good, but the problem is that the network (Aruba Networks WiFi) blocks IRC chats (Trillian AND mIRC wont connect, the java app crashes) AND it keeps me out of being able to play games on my STEAM account (I wanna play Portal at school, what's the fucking problemo with that?).  Anyone wanna help GAX out?  Btw, tried FreeCap (open source SOCKSCap), but it might just need some adjustments.

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

fugibo

• Proxy
  • Proxy
  • Proxy
  • Find a computer to run an HTTP server which will act as a proxy (these are almost never blocked)

G_G

Starrodkirby86

That doesn't help in GAX's case however.

What he wants doesn't go through a proxy like that. No, it sure doesn't. IRC Chats and online gaming go through way more than a simple proxy mask like that (I know, I used a proxy to get onto IRC only to get my real IP shown). The ones you have work fine for web browsing, but not for different tasks.

You really need something that goes through as a proxy from the first side...and that's not so fun. x_X;

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

fugibo

Those don't fix STEAM/IRC.

You need more than an HTTP proxy. You can, however, grab an IRC/STEAM proxy server and stick on the HTTP port (Port 80) on a computer on your network at school and redirect your apps to that while you're there.

Gabbergon

Quote from: game_guy on April 08, 2009, 10:42:15 pm
http://unblk.com
http://hidemyass.com

I use those at school and i've never had any problems

WTF i haxed my dads youtube block with that! tnx
he blocked it because my sister downloads our 25gb bandwidth full(stupid belgacom)

GAX

Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

GAX

Alright, GAX is fucking pissed now...
So apparently AIM is blocked or something now because I cannot connect my AIM client on this network anymore.

Currently, the only solution I can think of is ILLEGAL (like...prison buttrape illegal), and I'm getting pissed the fuck off at this shit.

Internet Censorship = baaaad

I really think the IT guys here should go play a nice game of hide-and-go-fuck-yourself.

fugibo

School IT = Idiots, always

Last year, I replaced the IE shortcut with a batch file that caused the computer to reboot (shutdown -t 30 -s -r -c "Haha, switch to Firefox!", I believe), and the IT guy decided to reformat the harddrive to fix it. Then he said that it cost as much money as the computer originally cost to buy to fix. When all that it required was about five mouseclicks. :/