If i forgot everything, then I have no proof anything is behind me.

Started by Vell, April 13, 2009, 10:36:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seox

... (<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< TEH DOTS OF DOOM. Hey, kinda catchy. :naughty:)

fugibo

Err, well... Cogito ergo sum only makes marginal sense here. And it's very situational. But the general concept is already covered by Descartes, so yeah... you're centuries behind here.

Seox

Quote from: WcW on June 14, 2009, 08:57:05 pm
Err, well... Cogito ergo sum only makes marginal sense here. And it's very situational. But the general concept is already covered by Descartes, so yeah... you're centuries behind here.

XD, it's amazing; how relevant that is.

I've heard that before in English, but not in Latin. So does that mean that you think that not being able to think as you did makes you different, or that because you still think, you are still yourself?

It could go both ways ><.

Vell

Seox

fugibo

"I think, therefore, I am." Sometimes speculated that his true meaning was closer to "Dubito ergo sum," or "I doubt, therefore, I am."

Vell

oh. dur, I know that. next time, please provide a translation. I never analyzed that one though.

Seox

Quote from: Longfellow on June 14, 2009, 09:59:18 pm
"I think, therefore, I am." Sometimes speculated that his true meaning was closer to "Dubito ergo sum," or "I doubt, therefore, I am."

That sounds closer to what he used it for, but not to what its overall meaning can be attributed to. I think that the speculations only serve to accomodate.

LurkerKoetsu

If you forget everything and you start this moment anew.

1. You wont need to know anything is behind you. You have rationale. That allows you to actually examine your enviroment. If you're in a lit room and there are shadows, you'll assume.

2. If you forget everything you wont forget EVERYTHING. A baby doesn't know crap but it does know how to scream, it knows that something is wrong when its hungry, it knows something feels wrong when it uses the bathroom. It knows that light is bright.

3. The first thing you think someone would do when they wake up in a place they don't know is look around. So yeah, even if they forget where they are.. kinda pointless to say well they wont know what's around them.

Seox

Quote from: LurkerKoetsu on June 25, 2009, 03:43:16 pm
If you forget everything and you start this moment anew.

1. You wont need to know anything is behind you. You have rationale. That allows you to actually examine your enviroment. If you're in a lit room and there are shadows, you'll assume.

2. If you forget everything you wont forget EVERYTHING. A baby doesn't know crap but it does know how to scream, it knows that something is wrong when its hungry, it knows something feels wrong when it uses the bathroom. It knows that light is bright.

3. The first thing you think someone would do when they wake up in a place they don't know is look around. So yeah, even if they forget where they are.. kinda pointless to say well they wont know what's around them.

Well, I really think that the main point is more along the lines of "you wouldn't have any way of knowing without looking."

Regardless, I like the points that you make. They all ring true, and I found the baby example to be a very concrete representation.

Well said ^_^

LurkerKoetsu