Some of my maps, (most of my maps (-_-'))

Started by Fantasist, January 28, 2008, 03:31:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

January 28, 2008, 03:31:29 am Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 03:34:08 am by Fantasist
Well, I'm not good at mapping. Or is it true? Is it just that I don't spend enough time on them? Whatever be the reason, I didn't make many maps, and here are the few I made. There are some more hidden deep in my archives, I'll dig them out later. Let me know how good I am for a noob, who knows, it might just inspire me to make maps for my game.

Spoiler: ShowHide

This one was made for my 'real life' RPG, involving real life incidents and people. And yeah, the Arshes there is supposed to be me.

Thes ones are from an older version of QC, among the first cutscenes.

This one's supposed to be a rough draft for the town in the above story. I planned on giving better detail later.

The rainy forest is my fav and it's a battle cutscene I made to mock my friend. We laughed hard on that one and it's my best map imo, only rivalled by a cave I made for the Blizz-ABS competition. I'll post it when I find it, the project mysteriously dissappeared from my hard disk. Maybe Ulta still has that demo I sent him.

Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Nortos

January 28, 2008, 04:21:29 am #1 Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 04:23:03 am by Nortos
I'll try and help you as you helped me soooo much also your not heaps bad the forest one looks alright . Hope you take constructive criticism cos I want to help :)

First off the wooden thing going down I find looks best on the corner of the wall like this

where you put it in middle.
I'm not a fan of tight areas but yours are a bit too big most of them could be halved in size . How often do you see a room or same floor with just one big room in wide area? Also in first room upper half of wood is really light rest r dark? are you trying to get light from the windows? I don't bother with this as I use blizz's DNS and wouldn't look good for me but you should check out how Calintz does it as the small windows wouldn't light up whole room

A lot of pple don't do this but I find the carpet should go a bit under the wall tile I mean you can walk there so you're walking on wood that means here's an example.

And the stairs on first pic they look like they are going upstairs but must be going down because of windows ect and no exit so change it to this

Here's just some maps both took me like 10 mins to get the ideas flowing through you.
Spoiler: ShowHide

I won't comment on town as only just started it, but the rainy forest looks good if you wanted you could add little dips in water small waterfals to show it goes down hill but it's up to you also I would try and get a merged tileset more than one type of tree.

Fantasist

Ah, thank you Nortos :) I took some nice pointers but I've only one thing to discuss:

QuoteAlso in first room upper half of wood is really light rest r dark? are you trying to get light from the windows? I don't bother with this as I use blizz's DNS and wouldn't look good for me but you should check out how Calintz does it as the small windows wouldn't light up whole room

Well, I didn't think about it then. I pictured a scene in my mind and it was bright sunlight waking up a lazy bummer. I started out with beans of light from the windows but I needed more light, so I made a gross correction. Well, thanks anyway, that helped :)

About the forest map, I did that in 10 minutes. I only wanted a battle cutscene and made everything ready, but felt it was lame on a large grass field (fill up first layer with grass). So I whipped it up in, like 10 minutes. And yes, I DO want more kinds of trees.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Calintz

Only problem is that you have wayy too much unused space...The only thing you have to actually change about the way you map, is the room size and shape. Don't make every room a bog square, give 'em different shapes and use that ceiling autotile!!

Fantasist

Calintz

No problem...but those comments apply only to when mapping inside places.
Everything you've done with outside mapping is another story. Your maps are still vague. Orginization is nice, but not enuff foilage (trees, brush) and detail. When mapping outside, you can't really get by with just placing a few things here and there. Outside maps HAVE TO BE LOADED!! At least thats the way I see it...  ;D

Nortos

except you can't really get that with default tilesets try and combine trees LoS has some nice ones but I like Ineq's medieval ext tileset

Fantasist

Well, combining tilesets is a piece of cake. If I feel the need for it while making the mao, I can do it in, like, 5 minutes (fusing tilesets I mean).

@Calintz: I DO like loaded exteriors, but not too much. A regular forest imo shouldn't be too loaded. It should be random and have a variety of foilage, but not too loaded. Thick forests  are another thing though. They should be so dense that we can even put lots of overlay of leaves and wines. And fog always helps :)

Calintz

I know what you mean...
>> I just simply love the look of loaded forests!!  ;D

Sally

i like the last one.. but.. could use more life!! more flowers and stuff :P