The Eternal Saga

Started by Kagutsuchi, April 24, 2009, 11:59:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kagutsuchi

Demo / Alpha is up
Mirror 1 - megaupload
Mirror 2 - sendspace

Now I am off to bed, will test out if they actually work myself (unlike last time :P) tomorrow.

Makeshift

sounds interesting imma check it out i like the war theme

ForeverZer0

A 95.2 MB demo!

The game does seem interesting (I haven't gotten that far just yet), but I would really work on cutting down the filesize. You have close to 50 MB in BGM alone, which I noticed many of which were in MP3 format (big), and many of your graphics are oversized, having dimensions over 1000 pixels, which is usually unneeded since the screen is only 640x480.

Other than that, I will continue to try out the demo and give some feeback when I'm done.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Kagutsuchi

Thanks :) yeah i realize that. Gonna cut out some unnessecery stuff today, and gotta do something about the music. I was just really lazy and it was 2 am xP

Blizzard

You can either convert them to ogg at 32 kbps which sounds quit decent for an RMXP game or you could do the same thing but only for the demo. In the full game you can still use full mp3 tracks without having to change a single thing except the files in the Audio folder.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Kagutsuchi

Quote from: Blizzard on February 12, 2011, 06:16:30 am
You can either convert them to ogg at 32 kbps which sounds quit decent for an RMXP game or you could do the same thing but only for the demo. In the full game you can still use full mp3 tracks without having to change a single thing except the files in the Audio folder.

I did try ogg at first, but for some reason every time a new ogg sound file started playing the game would freeze for 3seconds :\ Though that was probably because I did something wrong with the compression settings or something for the ogg files. Will look into it.

(Btw makeshift, it is not a war themed game, it is just the backstory)

Blizzard

Your oggs are too long. Oggs are not precached like mp3s. Oggs will have a starting delay of about a second every 2 minutes of length. If your game froze for 3 seconds, it was probably because the sound file was 6 minutes long. Why do you need a track of 6 minutes anyway? When you go into battle, most battles aren't that long and walk rarely walk for longer than 30 seconds on a map without getting into a battle.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Kagutsuchi

February 12, 2011, 06:44:12 am #27 Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:46:04 am by Kagutsuchi
Quote from: Blizzard on February 12, 2011, 06:36:10 am
Your oggs are too long. Oggs are not precached like mp3s. Oggs will have a starting delay of about a second every 2 minutes of length. If your game froze for 3 seconds, it was probably because the sound file was 6 minutes long. Why do you need a track of 6 minutes anyway? When you go into battle, most battles aren't that long and walk rarely walk for longer than 30 seconds on a map without getting into a battle.

I war probably exaggerated it a bit :P It always feels like it freezes for forever when it is only 1 second. So if I keep the audio files below 1-2 minutes? I am not very good at editing music files with audacity, but I will try.

EDIT: Btw, I get some errors when i try to edit the OP, is that because of the hosting errors?

Blizzard

Does it give you a 403 error message? Yes. This should be solved during next week as I will move CP to a new host.

Kagutsuchi

February 12, 2011, 06:52:43 am #29 Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:50:17 am by Kagutsuchi
It seems like it worked this time, can't remember the error message I got but it was something about php or sumthing, will take ss if I stumble across it again.
EDIT: Yeah it was 403
EDIT: Ok, currently uploading a version thats 72,8 MB large, switched out most of the music files with shorter ogg files and removed some unneeded tileset.

Kagutsuchi

Switched out most of the music files with shorter ogg files and removed some unneeded tilesets.

v1.02
Mirror 1 - Megaupload

The Niche

Use Blizzard's resource tester to find all the unnecessary resources.
Level me down, I'm trying to become the anti-blizz!
Quote from: winkio on June 15, 2011, 07:30:23 pm
Ah, excellent.  You liked my amusing sideshow, yes?  I'm just a simple fool, my wit entertains the wise, and my wisdom fools the fools.

I'm like the bible, widely hated and beautifully quotable.

Dropbox is this way, not any other way!

Blizzard

Lol, I totally forgot that I made this script. xD

Sase

100 MB for a RMXP game isn't even that much when you use a host that gives more than 50 kb per second (luckily today megaupload gave me 250 kbs)

The game freezes and bugs when you try to leave using the bridge south part of the map.

Kagutsuchi

February 12, 2011, 02:06:50 pm #34 Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 06:26:57 pm by Kagutsuchi
Quote from: Sase on February 12, 2011, 12:53:26 pm
100 MB for a RMXP game isn't even that much when you use a host that gives more than 50 kb per second (luckily today megaupload gave me 250 kbs)

The game freezes and bugs when you try to leave using the bridge south part of the map.

*facepalms* stupid eventing mistake on my part. You are not supposed to be able to go that way yet, so I have the game turn you around and walk forwards, but I accidentically have step backwards instead <.< Do not ask why i don't simply have "walk up".

Thanks for the feedback btw :) Glad you at least got past the opening event, you got longer than game_guy on his first attempt :P

Testers feedback form
(You can use a scale from 0 to 10 where 10 is highest on pretty much all questions if you dont know how to describe your experience with words)
1 ) Did you play through the entire demo, or did you quit earlier?
2 ) How long had you been playing when you finished?
3 ) On a scale from 0 to 10, how good was the maps?
4 ) On a scale from 0 to 10, how hard was the puzzles?
5 ) On a scale from 0 to 10, how difficult was the game in general?
6 ) What did you think about the story?
7 ) Did you think the difficulty was ok?
8 ) If you finished the entire demo, would you like to play more?
9 ) If you quit before finishing the demo, what made you quit?

AliveDrive

February 28, 2011, 08:15:21 am #35 Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 09:41:08 am by AliveDrive
as for the sound file size, if you're hell bent on using mp3, you can adjust the kbps with this tool which i use sometimes.

http://www.inspire-soft.net/software/mp3-quality-modifier

I will give a full review after I finish, I just wanted to post this because i dont know how long it will be til then ^.^

EDIT:
Testers feedback form
1 ) Did you play through the entire demo, or did you quit earlier? = I got to the bridge, but it was under repair, so I took a look around. I got as far as that gargoyle in the swamp which killed me.
2 ) How long had you been playing when you finished? Er, I estimate I wandered for about 20 minutes after my last save,which was 19:33 before dying, so around 35-40 Minutes.
3 ) On a scale from 0 to 10, how good was the maps? Maps are great :) I'll say 9, they really are good, I liked the houses (Where are all the people? lol). I also liked the two layer thing in the first dungeon.
4 ) On a scale from 0 to 10, how hard was the puzzles? I'm a LoZ pro, so nothing really brain busting. However, I think how WELL DONE we're the puzzles register about a 7. I'd like to have seen more stuff like pushing block puzzles those are classic.
5 ) On a scale from 0 to 10, how difficult was the game in general? Difficult to judge so early on, I say 7, the monster with the 089-Monster03 graphic was kinda tough.
6 ) What did you think about the story? This isn't really my area of expertise, I couldn't recognize a good plot device if it smacked me in the face.
7 ) Did you think the difficulty was ok? I played on the hardest setting with no major problems.
8 ) If you finished the entire demo, would you like to play more? Yeah, course!
9 ) If you quit before finishing the demo, what made you quit? Once again, I'm not sure if I even finished the demo or not, but I assume that I did since I couldn't progress.

I disliked

- Empty houses
- The music ranges on enemies, particularly the ghosts of the first dungeon. On the mini boss, the music quit playing right away and I fought a not so epic battle :(
- Maybe a warp pad to escape the dungeon after the boss? LoZ used them, and it sure beats doubling my step count just to get outside.
- THE LAG! THE AWFUL LAG!

I liked

- The mapping, it's great.
- Cutting grass for my survival lol
- The title screen, and HUD.
- The town music, very LoZ like. ;)

One last thing...
Spoiler: ShowHide
This tent has holes in it :P

Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Kagutsuchi

Thanks a lot for the feedback AliveDrive :) I haven't bothered putting out all the people because it is just early demo yet ^^;; I will get around to it soon. The lag is mostly caused by Nathmaths blizz abs battle music, I'm probably gonna remove it, and just use a event to play battle music in boss fights and let normal monsters go without battle music. I'm not hellbent on using mp3, but I am hellbent on using the songs I've already decided on :P With decent quality.

(Btw, what you have played through, I pretty much consider to be the introduction, I should probably add next to the download file that people shouldn't play on the hardest difficulty, because you deal half damage on that difficulty and trust me, you wont kill the last boss if you deal half damage before i have added more side quests xD)

I'm glad you liked it :)

AliveDrive

HALF?? o.o lol

Speaking of half, you should try out that mp3 modifier then, it reduced some of my files by half the size...and that adds up.

I like the boss fight music only idea, battles aren't super long anyways, but I was kind of fond of the battle tune, so you should find a way to implement it still :P
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Kagutsuchi

February 28, 2011, 12:57:13 pm #38 Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:07:00 pm by Kagutsuchi
Yeah I will ^^
(The last difficulty is sort of the uber hard one, for the crazy. There are not any difference in them yet except that you SHOULD deal half damage in the last one, but I just checked it and apparently you don't lol, fuck tons of addons)

EDIT: Well so far it have just been the introduction, the battles do get longer when you are fighting 3 enemies that each takes 3 hits when you get to the first temple, and gonna be even longer later on.

cyclope

Sorry for necropost but I download it and I'm stuck  :facepalm: I got to the part where you have to go to the capital and you go to the bridge that got destroyed by war(In my opinion that argument for being destroyed isn't quite credible) and then I tried going south like to a cave but nothing happened when I try to pass then I went north and liked went up a hill but when I got to the top it didn't teleport neither. Bit the Maps are incredible and the music is awesome.
Things I Hate

1. People who point at their wrist asking for the time... I know where my watch is pal, where the hell is yours? Do I point at my crotch when I ask where the toilet is?

2. People who are willing to get off their a** to search the entire room for the TV remote because they refuse to walk to the TV and change the channel manually.

3. When people say "Oh you just want to have your cake and eat it too". Damn Right! What good is cake if you can't eat it?

4. When people say "it's always the last place you look". Of course it is. Why the hell would you keep looking after you've found it? Do people do this? Who and where are they?

5. When people say while watching a film, "did ya see that?" No Loser, I paid $12 to come to the cinema and stare at the damn floor!

6. People who ask "Can I ask you a question?"... Didn't give me a choice there, did ya sunshine?