R U INSANE!?

Started by Shining Riku, April 29, 2009, 05:14:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shining Riku

April 29, 2009, 05:14:31 pm Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 02:28:30 pm by Shining Riku
I was writing a cartoon series for a while, then I hatched a plan to make a game outta it, and instead of being completely silly and stuff my Action RPG actually turned out more serious with a funny undertone.

Funny, right? I don't see any rules about working on two or more projects at a time, so I'll post my second work!

R U INSANE!?
Yet another innane project by Square Phoenix. So far I'm really the only productive member or my team, LOL!

Background Story
In a rather...tasteless and random world without a name, there are eight gemstones of incredible power. Each one represents one of the eight base elements which govern the universe.
Without the Element of Light there would be no sun, no stars...
Without the Element of Darkness there would be no night, no dark closet...
Without the Element of Fire there'd be no heat to flames...
Without the Element of Water there would be no Oceans, no lakes, and probably an abundance of smelly fish..
Without the Element of Wind there would be no gentle spring breeze or raging storms...
Without the Element of Earth the ground would be lifeless and barren...
Without the Element of Ice there'd be no...Ice...
Without the Element of Lightning there wouldn't be anything left to smite people standing under trees during storms.

The elements are what hold this universe together, and yet they have been sealed away millenium ago. For, if these Elements were to assemble in one place...All of the laws by which that universe was created would fail and everything would fade into oblivion. Actually nobody knows exactly what would happen but I assure you it wouldn't be good!

Real Story
For one person, it began as another day.
For this one person, that day ended in a swordfight with a man that was once his best friend, but now didn't even recognize him.

Paul, a rather average person from Planet Earth, gets sucked into a strange dream. Afterwards he wakes up in the middle of a strange forest, wearing a rather strange outfit and carrying an even stranger sword.

The strange thing for him, though, was...He'd been here before, but his memories of that before were fading fast. He knew he had one ally here, and that his quest depended on it. He follows a strange song in the forest and comes across the Hero of Time, Link, and after a misunderstanding the two draw steel. Link ultimately comes out victorious. After that the rest of Paul's memories of that before fade, and the two start the beginning of a long and difficult journey to protect their world's balance.

The Characters
Paul

His memories of his past journey in this world long lost, Paul starts a journey that began with him as an apprentice swordsman. Bestowed the title of Mageknight by a spirit in his dream, Paul wields both swords and magic with proficiency. He enjoys exploring, but sometimes the urge of treasure is too much...

Link

Calm, confident, and Collected, Link battles with a variety of weapons but specializes especially in swords. He can wear heavier armor than most people and in addition can use shields. His high skill ensures that most of his attacks hit, and even increases his chances of landing critical hits.

Roy

Somewhat excitable and energetic, Roy is not to be underestimated. He is also an intelligent individual and is as resourceful as they come. His skill with the blade is high, and his stroke is much heavier than Link's which enables him to deal more damage at the cost of skill. He is also decent with magic and can wield heavy swords in addition to the lighter swords Paul and Link perfer.

Grumpy

A really grumpy Gnome from the town of Shmoe's Pass. He is rescued by the combined efforts of Paul, Link, and Roy when they come to run off a battalion of soldiers that imprisoned him and the rest of the gnomes. He later leads the party through the mines to the Element of Fire and continues to journey with them afterwards.
He uses pickaxes in battle but he can also use the occasional odd weapon, which isn't limited to his voice or a stinky fish. He has really high skill and hardy endurance but a lack of speed leaves him susceptible to critical hits.

Features
Blizz ABS!
Tons of Addons!
Party Switcher!
Soul Force Combo system, which is used to simulate Final Smashes like on Brawl!
Advanced Time and Environment System!
Bestiary by Blizzard!
StormTronics CMS!
Some sweet Common events that are used in Skills to create an even more unique battle experience!
-At the moment that's all I can think of. This game wouldn't be possible without Blizz. Seriously.-

Other
The demo has about 7-10 hours of gameplay, maybe 5 if you REALLY rush and get lucky. Two chapters out of 8-10 planned are completely finished, minus a secret shop I haven't put into one area yet. Some sprites are subject to heavy improvement to increase...uh, the awesomeness if any is there. I apologize in advance if some of the prologue is annoyingly poor in appearance.

Demo Download
It's 128 MB for an encrypted project. Downloader beware! I tried cutting out some music, so let me know if any errors pop up regarding missing music files.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vz1rj8

Screenies
Spoiler: ShowHide

Credits
Blizz. Emperor of Scripters!
Me. I put a lot of time into this. It still isn't perfect though.
FEPlanet.net. Lots of Super Smash Brothers Brawl music, and some Fire Emblem music.
Elementaltemple.com. More music.
Serenesforest.com More music.
Me again. I ripped some music from some games myself.
Nintendo. Awesome characters and music. They get the most credit for the music 'cause originally they made it all! Well, almost all of it.
Sega. They're responsible for a few characters and some of the music.
Um, and whoever made the Metal Gear Solid series. Them too!
Enterbrain. Another group deserving of thanks. Without some of their resources and RPG Maker XP, there'd be no R U INSANE!?
And more. Gotta do some more research to make sure I get everybody.

That's all! I hope you people enjoy this game if you play it any. I've been alternating between this and my Crystal Chronicles game but both are still being worked on actively! Except for when i'm playing Chaos Project. Oh well!

Reno-s--Joker

QuoteSquare Phoenix

<333 Now why didn't I think of that? xD

128MB is a bit too big for me to download, but from what I'm reading you seem pretty organised and I'm impressed with your progress and committment I guess. :]

Keep it up! ;)

Shining Riku

April 30, 2009, 01:14:16 pm #2 Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:20:42 pm by Shining Riku
Yeah, I'm really sorry about the file size... :(

If you want I can try cutting more stuff out. The characters spriteset file in the project is sooooo large, but the problem is the MP3 music.

...I've got tons of badguys, but I have to fix that music!

I'll work on it. Thanks for visiting Reno!  :up:

EDIT: I'm probably gonna take a really satirical approach to the story as I get more into it. I suspect I have lots of cliches already, and to be honest this project's point was to be funny and as nutty as possible. So, i'm gonna be poking fun at lots of stuff and I've already broken the fourth wall a few times. I've even poked fun at myself lol!

One thing that may bomb or be completely cool, is I'll be narrating some key events like Tidus did in Final Fantasy 10. That's for another time though.  :bag:

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Shining Riku on April 30, 2009, 01:14:16 pm
Yeah, I'm really sorry about the file size... :(

If you want I can try cutting more stuff out. The characters spriteset file in the project is sooooo large, but the problem is the MP3 music.

...I've got tons of badguys, but I have to fix that music!
Image compression and the use of Audacity (Or other audio editors) can help...Especially music optimizers, they can chop off so many unneeded MB off files. Go for the gold, man, at the Beijing Olympics.

Someone's a big Fire Emblem fan~ <3

Looking interesting so far...I reckon. The demo size is honestly discouraging though.

I'm looking forward to seeing your funny bone.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Shining Riku

April 30, 2009, 05:13:56 pm #4 Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 07:24:10 pm by Shining Riku
My funny bone is a tad unpolished at the moment but expect me to add more silly stuff in when I get the ideas and all that.

Thanks for checking this out Starrodkirby!

EDIT:Has it been 24 hours yet? <_<

:P I hope so.

If anybody has downloaded this game yet, I need constructive criticism. I'm just one guy, and dumb things have a tendency of slipping past me. If you find any errors, dumb message windows, ANYTHING, post it here. It'll help me stay organized in my efforts to combat errors and their ilk. YAYZ

EDIT EDIT: Nope, it hasn't. I get antsy if I don't hear anything, so sorry if I come across as desperate. I just like knowing whether I'm doing a lousy job or not. I like to and want to improve!

Magus

LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

Shining Riku

I'm going to work on putting it back up, but until I take the time to weed stuff out, the download size will be huge.

I hope that won't be a problem >_<

lonely_cubone

How's this game coming? Even if the file's really big, you should upload it somewhere so people can see it. It looks really interesting.

Shining Riku

I'm definitely gonna upload it sometime, just not quite right away. I've been real busy doing stuff with it :D

I'm not going to be able to encrypt my game though, my computer reacts rather badly when I try and it doesn't do it properly. :p

Also, I figured out a way to shrink the file size by maybe about half, so i've got a few things to do before I release it again to make sure it's a tolerable size.

....still might end up being 200 MB though..... @_@

lonely_cubone

Okay. I'm still excited to see it, though! How much do you have made?

SBR*

The solution to all your encrypting problems:

PM the project to me, or somebody else if he/she want, and we can encrypt it for you.

Shining Riku

I've got alternate storylines planned in the complete release, but right now i've got 7-10 hours of gameplay on the normal story line and maybe an hour or so on the second path I started.

There's just sooooo much going on lol  :^_^': I also need to go back in and fix the cutscenes because I put in an awesome message system so I need to make some changes here and there to have it work all the way. I can also fix my ubiquitous spelling errors while doing this :p

another thing the final version will have is animated movie cutscenes at some key points in the game. It'll be real nifty! :D

I'll also revamp this project thread once I'm ready. It's blaaaaaaaand...

@SBR*: Alrighty. I'll see about it. I'm not quite ready to compress anything yet because I need to turn all my MP3 files into Ogg Vorbis files. I just recently learned how to use Audacity to do so, so now i'mma wizard with it lol :D

I'm not at the stage where i'm ready to release a demo again yet....but then again I can hardly call a game that's already got 8-11 hours of gameplay a demo...

SBR*

You don't have to do it right now... Just PM us when you're ready :urgh:.

Shining Riku

June 06, 2010, 12:35:16 pm #13 Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 12:37:05 pm by Shining Riku
LOL ok.

This is going to be a long-ish game. Lots of my inspiration for it is coming from the Tales of series, like Tales of Symphonia, and also a game called Chrono Trigger. The plot and stuff though is all mah doing though.

Out of my current projects, I think this one's my favorite.

I'll definitely PM you when i'm ready though. Nobody seemed real interested in this game at first...so i'm hoping that this will finally turn around  :(

Think you might play it?

SBR*

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 06, 2010, 12:35:16 pm
Out of my current projects, I think this one's my favorite.

WHAT?! ARE YOU INSANE?!

Shining Riku

Maybe?  8-O

I'd have to be because of some of the stuff i've come up with....and I don't drink or get high off of anything.

So yes, i'm probably insane sometimes.  :naughty:

AliveDrive

blame it on the alcohol.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Shining Riku on June 06, 2010, 12:38:37 pm
I'd have to be because of some of the stuff i've come up with....and I don't drink or get high off of anything.

Now that I think of it, I've used almost that exact wording when asked that question (and it happens a lot, because I am insane :D).

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: lonely_cubone on June 07, 2010, 06:44:01 pm
Quote from: Shining Riku on June 06, 2010, 12:38:37 pm

Now that I think of it, I've used almost that exact wording when asked that question (and it happens a lot, because I am insane :D).

You're not insane. Trust me, you don't even know what insane means.

Also, did you play any other Tales of games besides Symphonia?

lonely_cubone

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on June 08, 2010, 07:21:13 am

You've never met me.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: lonely_cubone on June 08, 2010, 08:46:54 am
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on June 08, 2010, 07:21:13 am

You've never met me.

You've never met Les Claypool or Buckethead.

Shining Riku

Aye, I have played another tales game besides Symphonia 1 & 2: Phantasia.

I'd have played more of them by now but I don't exactly own a PS3 or Xbox 360 : /

and true, maybe I do act like a decent human being here online but I have my moments in real life where I just...get high and happy for no reason.

and seriously people I don't drink. Any insanity that I MAY have....it's a defect in me brain.

Again i'll update this project topic once i'm ready to upload a new demo and such. I'll practically have to rewrite the whole first post the changes are so extensive.

lonely_cubone

How is this game coming along? You still working on it?

Shining Riku

Yup! Haven't made much progress story wise, but i've been working on lots of the things that make the game work. I tend to play through my game from the bottom up to test it (which is fun as heck) but there's things that don't get updated on the save files so I'm doing my best to get as many of those things out of the way now before I set myself up for another playthrough :p

Shining Riku

Lol, I guess  :^_^':

It'll be a lot more than just a demo, though.

well.....I was just thinking about it. I suppose I could copy the project file and cut out a bunch of stuff to make a "demo" sized game for people to play. It'd be fair enough  :P

I think i'll do that. I'll fix it up some more to make sure everything works up to the point where i'll make the demo versions end, then i'll PM you, SBR*, and The Niche.

Not that I think you'll be any trouble, but none of the graphics in this game are for use at all without permission. I actually don't mind that much about some of the graphics that I've edited/made, but one of my friends has an Original Character that i'm hosting in the game for fun, and I won't tolerate any theft of graphics related to that character. My friend has plans for this OC and if I had the means i'd skin alive anybody that steals said graphics.

......Lol that also goes for my OCs. I'm practicing drawing so I can make a Manga, and some of my OCs are important characters from the manga i'm planning.

Basically, some of the material is as good as copyrighted.

SOOO......I'll finish up a few loose ends and when I have enough done, the demo will basically have the first two "Paths" that the player can choose, I.E. two alternate stories from near the beginning of the game.

Where ya go is up to you! :D

I'll PM you once i've finished the 'demo' though

lonely_cubone

Okay, sounds good. And don't worry, I wouldn't steal sprites from someone who's already making me sprites, that'd just be evil.

Shining Riku

Yeah, I know.

The warning was more aimed at other people who might get the idea, so it was just for precaution.

Might have that demo up sometime soon today.