Re doing the battle system questions

Started by Ryex, May 19, 2009, 09:23:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

May 19, 2009, 09:23:47 pm Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:12:26 pm by Ryexander
Ok so I doing a redo of the battle system it will still work the same way but it will look a lot different and along the way I'm sure to have lots of questions so I'm making a thread for it

Questions:

1) Is there a better way to do this? [Answered]
Stretching the battle back to the bottom of the window: ShowHide
class Spriteset_Battle
 alias atbs_Spritset_Battle_upd_later update
 def update
   @viewport1.rect = Rect.new(0, 0, 640, 480)
   if @battleback_name != $game_temp.battleback_name
     @battleback_name = $game_temp.battleback_name
     if @battleback_sprite.bitmap != nil
       @battleback_sprite.bitmap.dispose
     end
     @battleback_sprite.bitmap = Bitmap.new(640, 480)
     @battleback_sprite.bitmap.stretch_blt(Rect.new(0, 0, 640, 480),
       RPG::Cache.battleback(@battleback_name), Rect.new(0, 0, 640, 320))
   end
   atbs_Spritset_Battle_upd_later
 end
end

2)Sprite or Window [simi answered]
Spoiler: ShowHide

ok. so I'm remaking the window battle status into a bar at the top of the screen I made a sprite class that draws a box that holds the actors SP, HP, and status then made another class that creates four instances of the sprite and puts them together into a bar and acts as a buffer so that all the method calls that would work with Window_Battlestatus would have the same effect with my new boxes. (The reason i made them different boxes is so that I could move them separately).

what i want to know is if I made the right choice in picking sprites instead of windows to do the job?

also you know the window that pops up with skill names? should I remake that as a sprite or window?

3) What does $game_temp.battle_proc do when called? [Answered]

4)animated posing battlers [Answered]
Spoiler: ShowHide

so i'm considering an option for my new battle system that would allow animated batterers (like they go up and attack enemies)
I was looking at the Sprite_Battler class and it appeared that I could just change the sprites bitmap based on @battler.current_action am I correct?

also if I wanted to shrink or expand the battler as it got closer the only way i could think of would be to use the stretch_blt method repeatedly changing the destination rect every time. but this seems like a laggy process is there any better way?

5)scrolling battleback [Answered]
how would you get the other side of the battleback appear on the other side of the screen as you move it?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

fugibo

Lines 7-9 are unnecessary; that is done automatically by the GC.

Also, if you're making an ATB, please consider using my ATB Engine (in database). Nice and tiny, and should do the job for you easy.

Ryex

Quote from: WcW on May 20, 2009, 07:04:05 am
Lines 7-9 are unnecessary; that is done automatically by the GC.

Also, if you're making an ATB, please consider using my ATB Engine (in database). Nice and tiny, and should do the job for you easy.

I not really making a ATBS that was really just a mis name of the method it should be AnTeBS >> Asan'Tear Battle System.
and what dose GC stand for?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

fugibo

"Garbage Collection" or "Garbage Collector" -- it's the device in Ruby that automatically deletes objects for you when they become unused. For instance, when you declare a variable in a method like so:

def do_stuff
my_var = 0
end

You will keep the variable until the method is done, at which point it will be deleted (unless you've stored it in class/instance/global variable since then).

Blizzard

Quote from: WcW on May 20, 2009, 07:04:05 am
that is done automatically by the GC.

No, it's not. But you shouldn't dispose bitmaps anyway. Only dispose sprites. If you have a bitmap that is being used by 2 sprites and you dispose it, there will be blood. I mean problems.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

fugibo

Called a "SEGFAULT" by some ;)

And the GC doesn't dispose bitmaps when no sprites/variables are referencing them? That's weird.

Blizzard

May 20, 2009, 03:37:01 pm #6 Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 03:38:04 pm by Blizzard
No, because they are usually contained in RPG::Cache. Otherwise it would dispose them automatically. If I'm not wrong, Window classes dispose self.contents automatically. I have never tried saving a bitmap from self.contents for later to try that out, though.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

fugibo

If you save it for later, it won't, because it won't be marked for GC >__<

Blizzard

No, I meant if the Window class disposes Bitmaps by itself before the GC does it.

fugibo

Ryex

so I don't need line 7-9 which dispose the bitmap in preparation for remakeing it because it will be disposed automatically?

Blizzard

Exactly. You generally don't need to worry about disposing bitmaps.

Ryex

is it just me or are the RTP scripts redundant?

fugibo

The RTP scripts suck. A lot. That's why scripters write all of their own stuff for games, usually.

Blizzard

Point made. They are not the worst framework in existence, but they need a lot of work and refactoring. i.e. The VX RTP scripts are better than the XP RTP scripts. Since I'm not very familiar with the VX scripts, I can't really estimate how good they are. But the XP scripts could definitely be better. Even the SDK sucks because it doesn't revamp the RTP scripts, it only extends it and makes it just slightly different and a very little bit better.

Ryex

first post updated with new question

fugibo

I have no idea what you're trying to ask, sorry.

Ryex

May 28, 2009, 09:57:46 pm #17 Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 02:44:11 pm by Ryexander
ok rephrased as "what purposes are sprites best for and which purposes are windows best for" when talking about displaying information

Edit: New question

Blizzard

2. I prefer using sprites. They are more lightweight than windows. But then again sprites don't support the window skin. But using 2 sprites, one for the text and another one as background is still better than 1 window.

3. It sets the execution index of the event calling the battle (if an event is actually calling it) to the proper position depending on the outcome of the battle (Win, Lose or Escape).

Ryex

Blizzard

June 01, 2009, 03:19:14 am #20 Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:20:33 am by Blizzard
You can change the zoom_x and zoom_y attributes of a sprite rather that using stretch_blt.

If you want to change bitmaps on actions, you should implement it in Scene#update_phase4_step3 (animation for action performer) and Scene_Battle#phase4_step4 (animation for action targer) as those are the moment where the database animations are being played. @active_battler is the current battler instance.

Ryex

zoom_x and zoom_y... *slaps head*

Quote from: Blizzard on June 01, 2009, 03:19:14 am
If you want to change bitmaps on actions, you should implement it in Scene#update_phase4_step3 (animation for action performer) and Scene_Battle#phase4_step4 (animation for action targer) as those are the moment where the database animations are being played. @active_battler is the current battler instance.

but those methods only pass information to a Game_Actor/Game_Enemy class instance, when Spriteset_Battle is updated it updates Sprite_Battler instances which handle the animation based on information it pulls from the Game_Actor/Game_Enemy class instance stored in @battler. so yes I would need to use those methods but the methods for the animation would have to go in Sprite_Battler, right?

Blizzard

You need two parts of code. One for setting it up in the scene (i.e. @active_battler.run_animation = true) and another part in Sprite_Battler#update where you check if there is a request for an animation (by checking @active_battler.run_animation or something like that) and execute it.

Sprite_Battler and Sprite_Character classes use a concept of observation. They observe the data classes and display information in form of sprites.

Ryex

Ryex

fugibo

I'm not sure what you mean, but I think you're trying to ask "How do I get the battleback to scroll," like the way you scroll a webpage. You just change the x and y of the sprite (assuming you loaded the full bitmap or whatever you needed to do) by whatever increment you need. Some of the classes (can't remember which, I think it's just Bitmap) also have @ox and @oy, but I haven't really used those so I don't know if they'd help.

Alternatively, just look at how Fogs are implemented in the RTP.

G_G

fugibo

Yeah, but those aren't interesting. Fogs = Fancy Graphics.

Ryex

aw found what I needed, the Plane class, changing the ox and oy of a plane class will scroll it.