my new battle system (screen shots and feedback)

Started by Ryex, May 19, 2009, 11:02:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

IDK, I don't care for the tiny help window. Especially since you have it justified into the bottom right corner.

Ryex

what size and location would you rather it have?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

fugibo

Two things still:

1) New window should have a border.
2) Fix the fonts on the names/HP/etc. It's sorta ugly. :(

Ryex

May 30, 2009, 11:31:25 am #23 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 03:19:17 pm by Ryexander
Quote from: WcW on May 30, 2009, 11:02:39 am
Two things still:

1) New window should have a border.
2) Fix the fonts on the names/HP/etc. It's sorta ugly. :(

1) a black one pixel boarder? [Done]
2) I will but not till later [Done]

EDIT: UPDATE

As Screen shots will no longer do this system justeis I have created a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ9AZDd_gzQ

enjoy!
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

King Munkey

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

Ryex

G_G

I cant wait for a release date it looks epic dude! How is this going to work with the CRLS

Ryex

G_G

Calintz

May 31, 2009, 05:00:30 pm #29 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:05:40 pm by Calintz16438
LOL!? He didn't recognize one of Blizz's most popular scripts ... :P, oh well.

Anywho, I saw your video, and the status window is beautiful, but having the other windows SO freaking small, and just placed all over is just a constant annoyance to me.

My personal suggestion would be to expand the help to window the full length of the screen, and place the command window on the left side of the screen directly above the help window so that their borders touch, creating a corner border look when they are viewed as a whole.

My second suggestion would be to once again expand the help window to 640, and keep it to the bottom of the screen, and then transform your vertical command window into a horizontal window much like Reno's, and place it beneath your status window with about 24-32pixels of space between them. Center it, and size it 3/4 of the status window.

**I just think that your help and command windows are too small ... they don't take up enough space, and that they were placed without thinking too hard about what you wanted.

Ryex

May 31, 2009, 05:49:32 pm #30 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:51:11 pm by Ryexander
Quote from: Calintz16438 on May 31, 2009, 05:00:30 pm
LOL!? He didn't recognize one of Blizz's most popular scripts ... :P, oh well.

Anywho, I saw your video, and the status window is beautiful, but having the other windows SO freaking small, and just placed all over is just a constant annoyance to me.

My personal suggestion would be to expand the help to window the full length of the screen, and place the command window on the left side of the screen directly above the help window so that their borders touch, creating a corner border look when they are viewed as a whole.

My second suggestion would be to once again expand the help window to 640, and keep it to the bottom of the screen, and then transform your vertical command window into a horizontal window much like Reno's, and place it beneath your status window with about 24-32pixels of space between them. Center it, and size it 3/4 of the status window.

**I just think that your help and command windows are too small ... they don't take up enough space, and that they were placed without thinking too hard about what you wanted.

They don't take up enough space? :O.o: lol I'm sorry perhaps i should of explained in the beginning.

the reason I don't like the Default stuff is because it takes up TOO much space and is put together with out a care for a smooth UI. as such all my systems are being created to take up as little space on the screen as possible at any one time. that, along with the princabul that only nessacery information should be displayed all the time, is how the collapsed CMS and collapsing CMS came to be. I'm applying those same things to the default battle system thats why everything is as small as possible. also having things on the edges of the screen helps with the effect I wanted to achieve of sliding panels instead of pop up windows.

I see the point you trying to make, the command info window is a bit oddly placed and creates an odd effect moving in and out but other than placing them at the bottom of the screen like my CMS I don't really see another option.

either way let me assure you that the design of this system IS thought out.

G_G

Still Chaos Rage Limit System. How compatible will it be? COuld you test it?

Ryex

I just looked at the script and the only incompatibility I can see in in my custom windows I might have to give coy a special version so that the UI will work but other than that it will work fine.

Calintz

May 31, 2009, 06:14:14 pm #33 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:16:31 pm by Calintz16438
Well, in that case ...
I've 'personally' become entirely dis-interested with this script. If you're looking for a 'smooth' interface, sure the sliding is nice, and helps to pull it off, but the windows themselves don't look right when they are that small ..

You're sacrificing the basic aesthetics of this engine to try to incorporate more advanced ones. How do you honestly make that leap?? You need a base before you can build. The conflict is that this application is capable of handling both basic and advanced aesthetics(as most are). There is no reason for that substitute, so I'm gonna have to say I 'personally' don't like what you've chosen to do with this system, and that you're decreasing it's overall potential greatly.

BUT!! I'll continue to support your endeavor and give you feedback so long as this script continues to grow, but I can guarantee you that I won't be using this in anything I ever make.

**You are definitely doing a good job though. Don't take what I say to heart, I just don't see the reason to sacrifice the basics, when the final outcome is not what it has the full potential to be. It makes me feel like the creator is giving up by not attempting to achieve the best ... IDK

Ryex

May 31, 2009, 06:42:22 pm #34 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:47:19 pm by Ryexander
.... I've been entertaining the Idea of combining the command info window  and placing it so that it rests on top of the help window like you said, as well as stretching in skill and item windows to touch the help window so that it will look simaler to what you described, and I must say the idea dose seem to fit better with the rest of the engine... you know what  Calintz... I'll try it and post a few screen so you can see how it looks.

Quote from: Calintz16438 on May 31, 2009, 06:14:14 pm
**You are definitely doing a good job though. Don't take what I say to heart, I just don't see the reason to sacrifice the basics, when the final outcome is not what it has the full potential to be. It makes me feel like the creator is giving up by not attempting to achieve the best ... IDK

and don't worry I was well aware that you were expressing a personal view. I'm not going to get mad/annoyed/start some stupid internet argument, instead i'll entertain you ideas a bit longer and see how your advise turns out. I haven't seen the results yet so how should I know that it won't be better!? the more I think about it the more I like the idea.

Calintz

I appreciate that you were mature about that.
I'm not saying you have to even consider the ideas buddy. You don't have to change the script and take screenshots if you don't want to. That would be a sole waste of time if you don't plan on using them.

Ryex

May 31, 2009, 07:38:55 pm #36 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:02:40 pm by Ryexander
heres the test screen shots
Spoiler: ShowHide

personally I don't like the first one but it is only a test so... Perhaps if I changed into a window across the bottom where the help window is?
I AM liking how the item and skill windows look though good tip there

and lol @Calintz If you don't mind would you take a look at the newest version (v2.5) of my collapsing CMS and give me feed back on it's layout?
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=2365.0
believe it or not I consider you input of great value.

Calintz

Are you considering turning the command window horizontal, or are you determined to leave it vertical??

BTW:
The item and skill window does look phenomenal, and yes ... I will take a gander at your CMS.

Ryex

May 31, 2009, 08:14:19 pm #38 Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 08:15:37 pm by Ryexander
Quote from: Ryexander on May 31, 2009, 07:38:55 pm
heres the test screen shots
Perhaps if I changed into a window across the bottom where the help window is?

Quote from: Calintz16438 on May 31, 2009, 08:08:15 pm
Are you considering turning the command windowhorizontal, or are you determined to leave it vertical??

thats what I meant yes. a horizontal window across the bottom of the screen with the command choices and icons.

G_G

I love how the windows layout and take up little space. I cant wait for the release of this but I prefer the command window horizontal