PNO - Threads and other evils

Started by Zeriab, June 10, 2009, 05:48:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeriab

June 10, 2009, 05:48:31 am Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:25:23 pm by Blizzard
Quote from: Blizzard on June 10, 2009, 04:57:18 am
The "Script is hanging" error on start up happens because the game is trying to connect to a host that doesn't exist (aka bogus IP). There's nothing that can be done about it except completely rewriting Ruby's socket class because it simply takes a while until the timeout of the socket is exceeded. And I'm not gonna do that because it might turn out that I actually have to go as deep as messing with Windows' API to actually fix that irrelevant problem. When you set up the servers in the game properly, it's not supposed to ever happen anyways.

Isn't that problem easily solved by having a thread controlling the socket and a thread controlling the rest?
Of course you may hit the problem with the Ruby interpreter pausing during Win32API calls, but that's a RMXP specific problem rather than a Ruby problem.

Either way this game really looks good :3

Blizzard

I can try that. I know that I wasn't able to get it running the last time. :/ Maybe I'm smarter now. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zeriab

I know it's a breeze in Ruby, but you may be hindered by RMXP. Either way let's hope you are able to do it now that you have gotten even smarter :D

fugibo

Quote from: Zeriab on June 10, 2009, 05:48:31 am
Isn't that problem easily solved by having a thread controlling the socket and a thread controlling the rest?
Of course you may hit the problem with the Ruby interpreter pausing during Win32API calls, but that's a RMXP specific problem rather than a Ruby problem.

Either way this game really looks good :3

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ruby threading is EVIL I say, EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND IT ISN'T THREAD-SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But what you'd do is

SOCKET_THREAD = Thread.start do
  while Thread.current["playing"]
    <update_socket_code, but DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING GLOBAL OR USING ANY SINGLETONS, IF POSSIBLE>
    Thread.current["<thread_variable>"] = <value>
    *repeat above line as many times as you need*
  end
end

# Scene Menu, dadadada....
def main
  # stuff
  loop do
    <update_events_and_such_from_the_variables_in SOCKET_THREAD["<variable_name>"]>
  ende
end

Zeriab

Of course it isn't thread-safe. Ruby is slow enough as it is.
Ruby for versions before 1.9 have their own scheduler for the threads. It's only at 1.9 that support for native threads have arrived. I haven't really tried it so I don't how the threading is. I only know for 1.8.1 & 1.8.5. You can always require 'thread' for the thread support classes such as providing semaphores and queues for inter-thread communication.

*hugs*

fugibo

Quote from: Zeriab on June 10, 2009, 10:38:34 am
Of course it isn't thread-safe. Ruby is slow enough as it is.
Ruby for versions before 1.9 have their own scheduler for the threads. It's only at 1.9 that support for native threads have arrived. I haven't really tried it so I don't how the threading is. I only know for 1.8.1 & 1.8.5. You can always require 'thread' for the thread support classes such as providing semaphores and queues for inter-thread communication.

*hugs*

The thread-safe part was mainly me complaining. It makes Ruby extraordinarily sucky for a game engine. But, oh well :P

And 1.9 brings a lot of new stuff, like YARV. Fun stuff, too!

Zeriab

What are you talking about?
It's that the intention in RMXP is to only use a single thread for Ruby.
Besides it would be insane to have a completely thread-safe game engine. It would be far to slow.
It's only sharing of resources and communication between threads that should be designed to be thread-safe.
It's much worse that Graphics.update pauses all threads rather than just the thread calling the method and likewise with Win32API calls.

I wanna try 1.9 because I fear I may start using 1.9 specific stuff in RMXP Script.

We are going off topic so I we either should stop or take it elsewhere >_>

fugibo

Quote from: Zeriab on June 10, 2009, 11:04:01 am
What are you talking about?
It's that the intention in RMXP is to only use a single thread for Ruby.
Besides it would be insane to have a completely thread-safe game engine. It would be far to slow.
It's only sharing of resources and communication between threads that should be designed to be thread-safe.
It's much worse that Graphics.update pauses all threads rather than just the thread calling the method and likewise with Win32API calls.

I wanna try 1.9 because I fear I may start using 1.9 specific stuff in RMXP Script.

We are going off topic so I we either should stop or take it elsewhere >_>

<FINAL POST> If you could use Ruby in one thread and still have it use resources from other threads, it'd be a different story, but it can't. You can't use any resources outside of the Ruby thread from within Ruby, which kills its usage as a game engine. It's still possible to multithread the engine, but it's not as effective as it could be.

And lol, I don't think 1.9 has that much new except for a few standard libraries being introduced, and you're already used to not using any Ruby libraries in RMXP (screw you, lack of support for Ruby extensions!)

Blizzard

ACTUALLY global data access in threads can be used without problems if you know how. :P

$clients = {}
server = TCPServer.new(host, port)
Thread.start (server.accept) {|tcp_connection|
  c = Client_Connection.new(tcp_connection)
  $clients.each_key {|connection| connection.send(0, "Entering: " + c.id.to_s)
  $clients[c.id] = c
}

:P

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

fugibo

I meant from the C side, where you can do actual game stuff X_X

Zeriab

Requiring .so files solves that problem.
Yeah it has been disabled in RMXP -_-

Either way can you make it work Blizzy? Can you prevent time outs :3?

Blizzard

June 10, 2009, 02:13:25 pm #11 Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:18:56 pm by Blizzard
Quote from: WcW on June 10, 2009, 01:48:59 pm

You have libraries with fully implemented semaphore and mutex handling (even though implementing a simply mutex yourself takes like 20-30 lines of code in bad good old C).

@Z: Sure. :P

EDIT: .so == Unix type .dll :P

fugibo

Quote from: Blizzard on June 10, 2009, 02:13:25 pm
Quote from: WcW on June 10, 2009, 01:48:59 pm

You have libraries with fully implemented semaphore and mutex handling (even though implementing a simply mutex yourself takes like 20-30 lines of code in bad good old C).

@Z: Sure. :P

EDIT: .so == Unix type .dll :P

Yes, which has been disabled. Unfortunately, there's an entire standard library full of extensions which exist in .so form, not .dll.

Blizzard

June 10, 2009, 03:15:38 pm #13 Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:19:02 pm by Blizzard
True. :/ This is probably because the intended RGSS to run on Windows so they didn't see any reason to leave the support for .so files. They probably didn't know .so's run fine on Windows. Stupid Enterbrain. :(

fugibo

June 10, 2009, 03:27:59 pm #14 Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:29:05 pm by WcW
I don't know if RGSS is even based on real Ruby -- take the infamous ASCII and/or bug, for example.

Also, teh hawtness. If only it were cross-platform )=

Blizzard

It is. RGSS is based on Ruby 1.8.6 if I remember right. It's a modded version though. RGSS means Ruby Game Scripting System after all.

Quote from: RMXP Help FileRPGXP's script engine doesn't use a proprietary simplified language, but the powerful scripting language Ruby. Ruby's official Website is http://www.ruby-lang.org/.

Ruby is freeware developed chiefly by Yukihiro Matsumoto, and its capabilities are more than sufficient to script a large-scale game. However, since it was originally conceived to be specialized in text handling and the like, it's a challenge to develop a game using Ruby alone. That's why RPGXP uses RGSS (the Ruby Game Scripting System) to adapt Ruby for use in game development. See the RGSS Reference for details.

The language can be referred to as "Ruby" or "ruby", but not as "RUBY".

Ryex

what is a thread? is it like starting another process and running it through the processor separately but at the same time?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

June 11, 2009, 05:14:12 am #17 Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:15:34 am by Blizzard
Yes, something like this. While two separate processes have access to different parts of the memory and both have their own memory, threads are within one process. They are branches that are being executed. The CPU switches about 10000 times between threads in one second. That was a program seems to be running more than just one piece of code parallelly. Imagine a server that runs a thread for each connected client. Usually multi-threaded applications are hard to debug because you need to take care of global memory access because two threads accessing and writing at the same memory location will nullify the action of one of them. It's undeterministic which will succeed so usually various mechanisms are used to ensure that threads work properly (i.e. locking of resources so only one thread can currently access that memory location).

As I said, it's not really running at the same time, but it's being simulated quite well.

fugibo

Quote from: Blizzard on June 11, 2009, 05:14:12 am
Yes, something like this. While two separate processes have access to different parts of the memory and both have their own memory, threads are within one process. They are branches that are being executed. The CPU switches about 10000 times between threads in one second. That was a program seems to be running more than just one piece of code parallelly. Imagine a server that runs a thread for each connected client. Usually multi-threaded applications are hard to debug because you need to take care of global memory access because two threads accessing and writing at the same memory location will nullify the action of one of them. It's undeterministic which will succeed so usually various mechanisms are used to ensure that threads work properly (i.e. locking of resources so only one thread can currently access that memory location).

As I said, it's not really running at the same time, but it's being simulated quite well.

Unless, of course, you're using a multi-core process/multiple processors -- those due run simultaneously in real-time. However, since the most cores the average PC has is 1-2, and only one of them, threads can still be ran on one-core at times. Yay for 8-core Nehalem, though!

Blizzard

True. Multi-core processors and multi-processor PCs do run threads at the same time.