Input.repeat?( <key> )

Started by fugibo, June 11, 2009, 05:37:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fugibo

Do any of you actually use aforementioned method?

Ryex

how is it even different? what could it do that keyboard repeat rate and Input.trigger? can't?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Calintz

I guess this could be used as an add on for Blizz-ABS to charge an attack ... But as for myself ... no.

Blizzard

Character input window. Of course.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Landith

@ryex: I think that Input.repeat?( <key> ) is like trigger? except that it happens without the keyboard repeat rate and the .repeat? starts to happens with the keyboard repeat rate...

Although, I'm not sure.

@WcW: No, I don't use it. I just use trigger?.

fugibo

Quote from: Blizzard on June 11, 2009, 05:59:50 pm

Once again, same occurs to me immediately _after_ I make the topic and leave. >_<
So I see. This may see dropped support for a little while in RGame (I'm too lazy to implement it)

In exchange, I give you full mouse and keyboard support by default XD

Ryex

Quote from: WcW on June 11, 2009, 07:54:36 pm
Quote from: Blizzard on June 11, 2009, 05:59:50 pm

Once again, same occurs to me immediately _after_ I make the topic and leave. >_<
So I see. This may see dropped support for a little while in RGame (I'm too lazy to implement it)

In exchange, I give you full mouse and keyboard support by default XD

speaking of which how Is RGame coming? *is off topic*
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

fugibo

Very slowly. I'm gonna do some work on basclic graphics tomorrow, I hope.

Seox

I'm making a radio from metal gear (and can't seem to figure out the best way to store messages >.>), and you have to hold left or right to change the frequency:

http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/119471/codec_qjpreviewth.jpg (LOL colonel being weird.)

Point being, INDIVIDUALLY PUSHING left and right TWO HUNDRED TIMES is NOT COOL.

XD

But then again, that's a VERY specific need. Just figured I'd mention it.
... (<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< TEH DOTS OF DOOM. Hey, kinda catchy. :naughty:)

Calintz

June 13, 2009, 11:38:25 pm #9 Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 11:39:53 pm by Calintz
Don't try to store messages silly ...
You would need one common event most likely for this.

Upon using left and right, decrease or increase a variable called "frequency."
Use conditional branches to check the variable for certain values(your frequencies) and display your messages upon the proper values. Have it set as a parallel process so it updates constantly while you scroll through your frequencies, and have it activated by a switch called "Radio." Turn this switch on when you open your sack and use the radio.

P.S. you should start a new topic for this.

Aqua

Cal, he does have a topic for this :P

And it's perfectly fine to store messages in scripting; they're called strings.
Actually... more than perfectly fine... more like /needed/.
Else windows would be very... not wordy XD

Seox

XD, *not to topic hijack*, No I know about strings.

The problem is that there are MANY, MANY conversations in the game. From MANY DIFFERENT PEOPLE. They're all of variable length. I've pretty much got the whole script written, as far as the layout and numbers. I just have no idea how to organize the conversations. Where to put them, how to check for which one to play when the user calls (IE not triggered by an event.), you know. Point being, there are lots of facets to consider, and putting a two paragraph conversation into a single string, taking up several lines, done MULTIPLE times, would get to be very cluttered....not sure what the best way to store 'em would be.

Anyways, sorry for the tangent...

Thanks for the help ^_^

Aqua

You could see how Blizzard lots of text in his ARS Database in Chaos Project (the game).
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here, but it's like this.

def self.message(id)
    texts = []
      case id
      when 1
        texts.push('Long string of text goes here... It's so long ')
        texts.push('that I want it to be on a new line on the editor.')
      when 2
        texts.push('Yap, yap, yap.  I love looong strrriiiiiings ooooofff teeeexxxt.')
        texts.push('It's like having cheese in your pants!!!!!  Woooooooooo')
        texts.push('ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!')
etc
      end
    return texts
  end

Calintz

But this would be so much easier evented, Lol.
Oh well ... =D

Ryex

Quote from: Calintz on June 14, 2009, 12:03:34 am
Oh well ... =D

only if you don't know how to script, if you  know how to do both then the combo rout is WAY faster

Seox

@Aqua - that looks promising. Thank you VERY much! ^_^

@Ryex - the combo route? I was thinking something like that, but have no idea how to orchestrate it.

@Calintz - I know that it would, but I had to make a Scene_Radio for the radio, and messages won't play in another scene. If I run a common event, wouldn't it wait and display the message AFTER I exited? Which would really suck.

I was thinking about making a common event for each person to call.

IE
(EXAMPLES!!!)
Calintz -
Aqua -
Ryex -

Each as a seperate common event. In the script, maybe do a case statement, checking what the frequency is when you push enter. That way it can decide the common event to reference. From there, in the common events, maybe check game variables and switches to determine the conversation.

Lastly, I could give Scene_Radio an attr_writer for conversation. Then, in the common event, I could make:

Quote$scene.conversation = "THIS IS WHAT WILL BE DISPLAYED IN THE RADIO."
at the end of all the checks. That way it is VERY easily organized.

Also, how do you do a "wait" type command in a script? There doesn't seem to be a literal one, but I need delay between pushing enter and the radio "getting a signal".

Again, sorry for topicjacking, but thank you guys ^_^

><

Blizzard

Quote from: Calintz on June 14, 2009, 12:03:34 am
Oh well ... =D

Not when the window shows HP, MP, the monster name and some other stuff. :P Also, the message window does not support up to 6 lines at once (+ the line with name, HP and MP).
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

fugibo

Seox, thank you for the input.

NOW QUIT SPAMMING UP MA THREADZ!

Seox

Quote from: WcW on June 14, 2009, 03:24:15 pm
Seox, thank you for the input.

NOW QUIT SPAMMING UP MA THREADZ!

XD, *ceases and desists*

As an aside, repeat? could also be used in place of any menu (CMS, or, for instance, an item upgrade system.) trigger? query, to allow you to more rapidly navigate it. It's obviously not necessary, and not even very useful, but it sure as hell makes it easier on us lazy peoples peeples. Trigger takes exactly one key press, but repeat takes one or more, so, unless held, it functions the same.

Zeriab

I typically use it when one can scroll through a number of items.
A typical weakness in evented CMS are that they don't try to emulate the repeat? press when changing selection in the menu.