Boss Battle Competition [Non-ABS][XP]

Started by Reno-s--Joker, June 13, 2009, 12:47:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Reno-s--Joker

June 13, 2009, 12:47:13 am Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:19:12 am by Reno-s--Joker
Boss Battle Competition (Non-ABS and RMXP)

Create the ultimate boss battle scene! Spawned indirectly from http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=2737.0. ^-^

Rules and Information

YOU CAN:
- Use events, skills and ANY scripts you wish
- Have multiple staged battles if you want
- Use RTP resources or use your own resources instead
- Include SHORT cutscenes if you want
- Have a low level boss and characters if you want (i.e. not final boss style)
- Make your characters have freaking awesome powers (- Please! xD)
- Make it not serious if you want :shifty:

YOU CANNOT:
- Have more than one team member. Note that this does not count resources and custom scripts.
- Have glitches! >:(
- Have more than one boss* (although it can take several forms)
* If you choose to do this, you cannot have several forms.
- Have a game which lasts for longer than 5 minutes (minus the time taken for the battle, of course)
- Have cutscenes which are more interesting than the battle
- ... enter, Blizzard - you'd win :V: :V: :V:

ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM EXAMPLE:
- Game launches straight into a battle scene.

Judging and Criteria

I will accept three judges. Judges must have good enough internet to DL entries, enough time to play through them, a lack of bias, etc, etc. We will contact each other via PM on this forum or MSN if you want (but I'd rather not). I am a semi-judge (since my internet is so damn temperamental >_>)

Current Judges:
#1: game_guy
#2: UltaFlame
#3: Seox

I'm open to better criteria suggestions and I'll write up a proper list for judges but at the moment...

Challenge:
   Strategy (how interesting)
   Length (too short/too long/just right)
   Attempts (too easy/impossible/awesome)

Creativity:
   Boss design (how creative)
   Boss skills (suitability/uniqueness)

Equipment:
   Levels (too low/too high/match boss)
   Skills/Abilities (how awesome)

Aesthetics:
   Visuals (how interesting)
   Graphics (how pretty)

Bonus points:
   Lulz OR Epic Wows
   Unique ideas for scenario
   If you bribe the judges with munneh :V:

Deductions (although they are minor):
   Glitches encountered
   Cliches
   Breaking any of the rules

Entering

Please enter! It's really short and the time limit is aaaggesss! *puppy eyes*

Time Limit:
Until the end of my (currently failing) hiatus!
i.e. Wednesday, 4th November
I will be lenient on the day because I can't be bothered converting timezones. :^_^':

Sending the Files:
MAX FILE SIZE of 12MB (zipped). Please compress the game data first. Then PM the people on the judges list (and me) with a link to your uploaded game file.
Please: no early submissions unless something really weird and terrible is about to happen. o__o

Signup:
Copy and paste this and fill it in and I will try and update this post whenever I get back:
[b]#<ENTRY NUMBER>:[/b] <USERNAME>

The above assumes that you are a Chaos Project Forum member. So sign up if you are lurking!! >:(

Current Signups:
#01: Starrodkirby86
#02: Aqua
#03: Valcos
#04: Sally [VX]
#05: shdwlink1993

Just post here saying so if you want to opt out.

Prize

Winner receives fame and glory and Reno will be added to your fanbase. Winner will also receive a free, full-colour drawing request of whatever the duck they want (actually, only human-like things please... >_<) from Reno in manga-esque style. Sorry I can't offer anything else. D: Open for negotiations.

Calintz

Starrodkirby86

June 13, 2009, 01:15:48 am #2 Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:23:32 am by Starrodkirby86
I would like to ENTER this contest.

EDIT: I do hope this contest will allow me to show what potential skills I might have in RPG Maker. Though perhaps the limitations within the editor or the limitations with my scripting skills can hinder the chances of winning.

EDIT2: Can you get outside help?

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Aqua

June 13, 2009, 01:17:58 am #3 Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:21:08 am by Aqua
Interesting...
Very interesting...

Would bosses that summon count as more than 1 boss?

Reno-s--Joker

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on June 13, 2009, 01:15:48 am
I would like to ENTER this contest.

EDIT: I do hope this contest will allow me to show what potential skills I might have in RPG Maker. Though perhaps the limitations within the editor or the limitations with my scripting skills can hinder the chances of winning.

EDIT2: Can you get outside help?

WOOHOOO!!! :w00t: It certainly is supposed to allow you to show off! :P
And to answer your second edit,
Quote from: Reno-s--Joker on June 13, 2009, 12:47:13 am
YOU CANNOT:
- Have more than one team member. Note that this does not count resources and custom scripts.

When I wrote that I was thinking that yes, you could have a friend make all the graphics or scripts for you but not compile it together (it's basically the same as leeching all the resources off the internet), if you know what I mean... yeah I admit it's rather vague... o_O. So... yes, you can. :)

Quote from: Aqua on June 13, 2009, 01:17:58 am
Interesting...
Very interesting...

Would bosses that summon count as more than 1 boss?

Wow that would be a great idea! I guess not! :D

Aqua

When I read the first 4 words of the first post again...

I deflated .___.

And had to throw aaaaallll my ideas out the window.

*won't sign up until I have an idea*

Reno-s--Joker

Oh noes. D:

Well, I honestly do hope you sign up eventually. I have a feeling you'd make an awesome entry. :shifty:

I'm going to look at the success of this competition and then probably post an ABS one later depending on it. :)

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Can I be a judge please?

EDIT:
Welcome back reno <3

fugibo

Boss Battles can't really be "Too Long," the longer they are the more fun they get -- that is, unless they're really simple and just have an exorbitant amount of HP. :(

Aqua

YOU CANNOT:
- Have more than one boss (although it can take several forms)

Would it count if that one boss consisted of two enemies?
Since when someone says, "Oh, there's a boss coming up," it's not always just one enemy in that one boss...

Lol... if I'm allowed to do this... then I have an idea.
If not...
Back to the thinking board @.@

Ryex

Quote from: WcW on June 13, 2009, 02:40:41 pm
Boss Battles can't really be "Too Long," the longer they are the more fun they get -- that is, unless they're really simple and just have an exorbitant amount of HP. :(

- Have a game which lasts for longer than 5 minutes (minus the time taken for the battle, of course)

point nullified when he said too long he ment you cant have more than five minents worth of playtime outside of the battle meaning, this is about the battle NOT you cut scene skills.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Aqua

Quote from: Ryexander on June 13, 2009, 03:14:34 pm

point nullified when she said too long she ment you cant have more than five minents worth of playtime outside of the battle meaning, this is about the battle NOT you cut scene skills.

Fixed.  Reno's a girl :P

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Lol, we love you anyway. <3

I was thinking (not really, I've had a few drinks). Using just any script... Wouldn't that be that you are allowed to use scripts where you are allowed to cheat? Aka win-battle-on-button-press or debug menu scripts. What do you think?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Starrodkirby86

Such scripts like that can easily bend battling rules. Penalties might occur. :P Of course, if they're hidden, then it isn't that much of a problem. However, I'm sure we have to send the project unencrypted...

Is there a point in finding all the loopholes in the rules? I'm sure if you follow the system as applied to me without taking advantage or exploiting a miswritten rule, then we'll have a fun contest.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Vell

hum... I'm not good at making Battles or anything. I'm no good - period - with RMXP... but I'll judge! I might need to DL some stuff...

Reno-s--Joker

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble deciding the wording for that... I know that battles which feel like they overkilled on the length factor usually feel like that because of other things such as strategy as you mentioned. Hmm. :| *needs more time to think*
Quote from: Aqua on June 13, 2009, 03:02:58 pm
YOU CANNOT:
- Have more than one boss (although it can take several forms)

Would it count if that one boss consisted of two enemies?
Since when someone says, "Oh, there's a boss coming up," it's not always just one enemy in that one boss...

Lol... if I'm allowed to do this... then I have an idea.
If not...
Back to the thinking board @.@

I'm a little stuck on whether to say yes or no straight... second opinion anyone? D: See, my problem is one stage of Kefka's battle (in FFVI) had like... several bits you could hit (technically several enemies). Actually this happens alot in other games. Hmm.
Okay, I guess there's no harm in allowing this. But just to make it fair, I think I'll say if you wish to choose this option, then you can't have multiple stages of battle with different forms of the boss. :o Is that okay? I really hope I'm not restricting you too much. :(

@Blizzard's rather strange question: (o____O lol I hope it's the drink) Yeah I guess so but I don't see why you would. D:

And yeah what Kirby said. :xD:

*adds G_G and Ulta to judges*

Calintz

You know ...
Without a time limit, how can their be a winner??

Reno-s--Joker

Time Limit:
Until the end of my (currently failing) hiatus!
i.e. Wednesday, 4th November
I will be lenient on the day because I can't be bothered converting timezones. :^_^':

It's ages but it's still finite, I swear! :ninja: