Map Exterior Tutorial: #1 Mountain Towns (by Falcon)

Started by Fantasist, January 28, 2008, 08:58:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

January 28, 2008, 08:58:13 am Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 02:52:19 am by Fantasist
Quote from: FalconTutorial One: The Mountain Town
Well, in my opinion, mountain towns are some of the easiest towns to make, as you can use terrain to take up most of the space on the map.

Part 1: Preparation
Making a town is much harder than making a small map, you need to take a few minutes to plan out your town.

Step 1
Get an idea of the location in the world.

The map we're going to be making will be a town in the middle of two mountains, the town will be mainly a pit stop for traders going from one city to another. The city will have only one road, an inn, a equip shop, a item shop, and a farmer's house.

Step 2
Sketch the map out on paper

I highly suggest sketching the map out on paper, you don't need it on hand when you make the map, but you'll get the overall shape of the map in your head, and you won't be making the map as you go.

Part 2: Creation

Download the map data that I made for each step
http://www.mediafire.com/?enjd0ylxx3r (extract the map datas in to a blank RMXP project)

Step 1
Alright, let's start by making the southern mountain.
Tip: While making mountains, vary the length and height of the edges to make the map feel more realistic
Tip: While making mountains, vary the height, using three spaces for the wall makes it look repetitive

Spoiler: ShowHide

Step 2
Let's do the same for the top part, let's also make a small cut off for a sidequest or a path to another small town.

Step 3
Now, one elevation isn't really a mountain, so let's make two or three levels of elevation for each side.

Step 4
Let's do the same to the northern mountain.

Step 5
Now, let's make the path that runs through town, and on the northern path, lets make grass and other things which obstruct that path, so it's clear it's not traveled as much as the main road is.

Step 6
It's time to add the houses, let's put the inn where the both roads meet, let's put the item shop along the main road, and let's put the other houses along the road. Let's also add a well in town and a graveyard.

Step 7
Now all we have left is to add the trees and other details.

Step 8
Time to add events.

Step 9
Walk away from your map, return in about 15 minutes and see if there's anything you forgot. We need to put in more autotile use, or the northern path will look out of place, so let's add more autotiles.

The Final Product
A great town, perfect for an inn break after a mountain pass :)

[/quote]
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Lore

Once again another nice tutorial! I like how the town is actually surrounded by mountains, I've seen Mountain Towns with like 1 mountain XD

Anyway, I love the final product :D
Facebook is like your fridge. You know nothing is in there, but you check every 5 minutes anyways.

Calintz

Nortos

You might want to write who wrote it FTS. And eww I don't like the little grass bits with sand borders I never use them...but rest is good

Fantasist

Hey, I did that, I'm an ace at mapping :V

*adds proper credit*
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Falcon

Why the hell is this here? I was never asked for permission to post this.

Blizzard

September 06, 2008, 03:51:35 pm #7 Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 03:54:17 pm by Blizzard
You posted it yourself at the old CP. Why would you need to ask yourself for permission? O.o;

EDIT:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/ChaosProject/index.php?showtopic=450

And this one, too: http://z3.invisionfree.com/ChaosProject/index.php?showtopic=452
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Falcon

Generally, if anyone reposts a tutorial they're expected to ask permission to repost it.

I of course don't mind if it's here, I'm just ticked off that I wasn't asked for permission :P

Blizzard

Sorry, I couldn't move the old forum's database so stuff had to be reposted instead. *goes back and turns off old forum again*

Well, I'll delete this topic if you want then.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.