Terrain tags?

Started by Seox, June 16, 2009, 10:50:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Seox

So...I've heard alot about them, as far as potential, In that they can be used in events and scripts to trigger things. Heck, a vehicle script that I use uses them to check which medium it is travelling through, and keeps it on its own type (IE Boats on mountains). What other useful things have you seen/used terrain tags for?
... (<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< TEH DOTS OF DOOM. Hey, kinda catchy. :naughty:)

Starrodkirby86

Poisonous terrain, wall jumpable tiles, bridges (I think?)...debug purposes I suppose, in my head at least, 3-D tiles transferring, revitalization of old features from past engines (I guess)...

That's all the stuff I can get in my head so far. There's way more uses for it, I bet. It's another tool that can be used creatively, but is neglected.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Seox

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on June 16, 2009, 10:55:34 pm
Poisonous terrain, wall jumpable tiles, bridges (I think?)...debug purposes I suppose, in my head at least, 3-D tiles transferring, revitalization of old features from past engines (I guess)...

That's all the stuff I can get in my head so far. There's way more uses for it, I bet. It's another tool that can be used creatively, but is neglected.

That DEFINITELY seems to be the case, and I only wish that I knew how to do some of the really cool things that I've seen done with them.

Wall jumpable tiles? As in tiles which allow you to jump over walls?

And bridges? Any idea as to whether the two are evented or scripted, and roughly, how?

Please and thank you - it's an interesting topic ^_^

Starrodkirby86

Wall jumpable tiles...If I'm not mistaken, that should be a feature in Blizz-ABS. If a certain tile was at this particular terrain, it would have been able to be jumped over...I think. I recalled my friend's game was so easy to beat because he never set the terrain tags to the non-jumping tiles.

Bridges...I may be pulling this one out of my butt, but theoretically it may be able to work. I mean, there are many ways to get to a certain solution. Perhaps there can be a script that will do a certain bridge-like function, which is the going under without going over sort of thing, that triggers at certain terrain IDs? It changes respectively per tile, I suppose. :S Something like that.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Seox

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on June 17, 2009, 12:19:14 am
Wall jumpable tiles...If I'm not mistaken, that should be a feature in Blizz-ABS. If a certain tile was at this particular terrain, it would have been able to be jumped over...I think. I recalled my friend's game was so easy to beat because he never set the terrain tags to the non-jumping tiles.

Bridges...I may be pulling this one out of my butt, but theoretically it may be able to work. I mean, there are many ways to get to a certain solution. Perhaps there can be a script that will do a certain bridge-like function, which is the going under without going over sort of thing, that triggers at certain terrain IDs? It changes respectively per tile, I suppose. :S Something like that.

The bridge thing sounds RIDICULOUSLY useful. I'm CONSTANTLY trying to find a way to allow the walking over of impassable tiles using bridges, visible or invisible, and that'd be INCREDIBLY useful, though I'm sure there's a simpler way.

Any idea how to reference terrain tags in a script?

Blizzard

$game_map.terrain_tag(x, y) will return the terrain tag at position x, y.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Seox

Quote from: Blizzard on June 17, 2009, 06:27:35 am
$game_map.terrain_tag(x, y) will return the terrain tag at position x, y.

RAWK.

Thanks, Blizz ^_^

G_G

June 17, 2009, 06:20:02 pm #7 Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:27:36 pm by game_guy
I've used it to make a mario event system
also made it for ladders so the player stays facing up

I found a really good use with them. Ever play an RPG where some areas where you fight elements are weaker/stronger? Example
Desert > Fire Stronger but Water Weaker
Water > Thunder Stronger but Fire Weaker
with some scripting I made this possible.
Scripts to dependant on my project though to release and I wanted this to be in my game only. If I release the game I may release the script.

Seox

Quote from: game_guy on June 17, 2009, 06:20:02 pm

Mario event system? Like what?

G_G

I found a really good use with them. Ever play an RPG where some areas where you fight elements are weaker/stronger? Example
Scripts to dependant on my project though to release and I wanted this to be in my game only. If I release the game I may release the script.

Theres more.

Mario event system like actual jumping. I made an actual platformer using terrain tags

Calintz

Seox

OMFG. Been trying to find a way to test whether you're using camouflage in the right areas for a while now.

THANK YOU!

^_^

And the ladder thing is ingenius.

*powers up*

Blizzard

You can also use "character.terrain_tag" which will return the terrain tag of the tile the character is standing on. "character" can be "$game_player", "$game_map.events[ID]" or any other character instance on the map (i.e. "$game_player.members[POSITION]" in my caterpillar).

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Seox

Quote from: Blizzard on June 18, 2009, 03:53:34 am
You can also use "character.terrain_tag" which will return the terrain tag of the tile the character is standing on. "character" can be "$game_player", "$game_map.events[ID]" or any other character instance on the map (i.e. "$game_player.members[POSITION]" in my caterpillar).

Thanks, Blizz! I think that's WAY easier for what I'm wanting to do.

Hey, why'd you change your name to something brazillian? EDIT: OH SHIAT, ALL OF OUR NAMES ARE BRAZILLIAN! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

XD

And is that a picture of you?

Blizzard

Yeah, that's me. I took it saturday. I had to overwork it a bit since my webcam is crappy. I also added an artistic impression since the result wasn't to well either. There's a specific degree to which you can improve a bad picture after all (much noise, bad colors, bad illumination, etc.). :/ I posted the original here.

Seox

Quote from: Blizzard on June 18, 2009, 11:47:27 am
Yeah, that's me. I took it saturday. I had to overwork it a bit since my webcam is crappy. I also added an artistic impression since the result wasn't to well either. There's a specific degree to which you can improve a bad picture after all (much noise, bad colors, bad illumination, etc.). :/ I posted the original here.

XD

Blizz, "artistic impression" doesn't mean finding a picture of someone that looks better and putting it up instead.
Looks great, Blizz!

*joking*

Really, though, I don't know WHAT I expected you to look like, but you look SUPER young. You're only 20-21, right?

Blizzard

June 18, 2009, 12:04:05 pm #16 Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 12:07:19 pm by Blizzard
Wow, you're quite close. People sometimes even think I'm underage, but rarely older than that. I'm 22 (23 in less than 2 months). xD
But let's not go offtopic, we can discuss this in the picture posting thread.

Seox

Quote from: Blizzard on June 18, 2009, 12:04:05 pm
But let's not go offtopic, we can discuss this in the picture posting thread.

Good idea. Sorry, Blizz ^_^

So, one could effectively state something like :
if ($game_player.terrain_tag == 2 and $game_party.actors[0].armor2_id == 15)
$game_party.actors[0].eva += 15

?

Probably wrong on that last line, but you get the point.

Blizzard

Sure. Just this would increase it every time and it would be permanent. Maybe what you want is a status effect?

Seox

Quote from: Blizzard on June 18, 2009, 12:22:57 pm
Sure. Just this would increase it every time and it would be permanent. Maybe what you want is a status effect?

Oh. Duh >.< *slaps face*

Yeah, good idea. A status effect would probably be MUCH easier to deal with. So, that would stay with them into battle? I'm wanting it to be the case that they end up with the camouflage/evasion bonus if they engage on a square matching their uniform's camo type. And what would be a good way to check the whole party, and then hit all offenders with the state?

I'm thinking
if $game_player.terrain_tag == 2
for i in $game_party.actors
if i.armor2_id == 3 then i.states.push(666)
end
end

XD. 666.... (YAY, IMMATURITY!)