Started by Spaceman McConaughey, June 19, 2009, 08:35:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman McConaughey

June 20, 2009, 06:13:57 pm #20 Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:18:11 pm by Branden
Quote from: King Munkey on June 20, 2009, 12:05:14 pm
Quote from: Longfellow on June 19, 2009, 09:44:51 pm
Quote from: Branden on June 19, 2009, 07:30:33 pm
Quote from: King Munkey on June 19, 2009, 05:53:00 pm
As for them communicating with us. Would it be very likely that they would know how to speak English, Russian, German, French, Spanish, Japanese, etc. Unless they have studied us for years and learned our culture and ways then that is possible. Also if they are similar to us then our mannerisms may not be the same as theirs. Something we do to say hello could be an insult to them.

They have been watching over humans for thousands of years now. Who's to say they haven't learned something about ANY language with the body reactions people make (And other stuff) after saying something?

EDIT: It just came to me that these life forms could've evolved so much, that they are really fast learners. And you know they must be capable of that if they have enough knowlage to build the space ships i takes to get to our planet in an instant.

So this proves my point.

Obviously they require evolution, natural selection, and verbalized communication to be sentient :V

Maybe they are complete idiots and stumbled upon a space ship wound up getting lost and making it to Earth and then they found out they humans and themselves are both on the same level. Idiots.

Where are they gonna get a pace ship if they can't travel to other planets? And chances are, if they can travel to Earth, they are definetley not the same level.... unless, of course, the higher level aliens had some lower level aliens on there ship.

And to the above poster: Does every being in the universe have to be of the same intelligence? I don't think so.
So, naturaly, there is a race somewhere who is capable of building such ships for this task.

fugibo

Quote from: Seox on June 20, 2009, 04:35:49 pm
Quote from: Longfellow on June 20, 2009, 01:33:41 pm
But who made that space ship?

The space invaders. From the old arcade game of the same name.

Ok, no. XD

XD, really though, who's to say that they're capable of interstellar travel? WE aren't, and we're "intelligent."

Ever heard of Project Orion?

Vell

no, I did not, but that is interesting. We're capable, we're simply waiting until we have the ability to keep ourselves perfectly safe as we did. interesting. Nice read, Longfellow.

fugibo

Quote from: UltaFlame on June 20, 2009, 08:17:29 pm
no, I did not, but that is interesting. We're capable, we're simply waiting until we have the ability to keep ourselves perfectly safe as we did. interesting. Nice read, Longfellow.

Thank you. I can't remember how I stumbled upon it, but I thought it was kinda stupid that we've had that technology for decades and just haven't bothered to get it to work right. Pogo sticks FTW! XD

Vell

well, as it is, it'd be too dangerous to test and stuff. so they're looking out for the rest of us.

Seox

June 23, 2009, 05:58:16 pm #25 Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:01:48 pm by Seox
Quote from: Branden on June 20, 2009, 06:13:57 pm
And to the above poster: Does every being in the universe have to be of the same intelligence? I don't think so.
So, naturaly, there is a race somewhere who is capable of building such ships for this task.

That's a non-sequitur. Humans are EXTREMELY well versed in computer sciences, but we know virtually NOTHING about the bottom of the ocean. Just because a species has obtained the means to travel through the universe, doesn't mean that they're omniscient. As a matter of fact, the only reason that humans are led to believe what you say is because we believe that interstellar travel is complex. Because it is. To us. To a species who has already developed it, that is simply not the case. In other words, that you say what you said only serves to prove my point further.

Longfellow. Interesting. No, I've never heard of it, but, at any rate, I was referring to the fact that you or I can't just say "IMA GO ON A SUNDAY INTERPLANETARY DRIVE!", hop into our supersuperfloatycar 1337,000 (Yes. Four numbers without a comma.), and fly around space. XD. Still, nice point.

Speaking of which, how did you manage to learn as much as you know in such underground topics? Not secrecy underground. More like "no-one's ever heard of the damn thing, even though they should've because it's amazingly deep and philosophical."

Might I add that project orion may not even exist. It also may be 20 years obsolete. Not to be a tin-foil hat wearing conspiracist, but the government STRICTLY controls most all information, ESPECIALLY that of government organizations, such as NASA. Agree?

EDIT:
Quote from: WikipediaThe 'base design' consisted of a 4000 ton model planned for ground launch from Jackass Flats, Nevada.

As infantile as it may be, I can't help but crap my pants laughing.
... (<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< TEH DOTS OF DOOM. Hey, kinda catchy. :naughty:)

fugibo

Uhm...
QuoteProject Orion was the first engineering design study of a spacecraft powered by nuclear pulse propulsion, an idea proposed first by Stanisław Ulam during 1947

Quoteinitiated in 1958
QuoteThe Partial Test Ban Treaty of 1963 is generally acknowledged to have ended the project.

There you have it. We had this tech before '69, when we made it to the moon. It's just a tad outdated. :P

Seox

Quote from: Longfellow on June 23, 2009, 06:03:42 pm
Uhm...
QuoteProject Orion was the first engineering design study of a spacecraft powered by nuclear pulse propulsion, an idea proposed first by Stanisław Ulam during 1947

Quoteinitiated in 1958
QuoteThe Partial Test Ban Treaty of 1963 is generally acknowledged to have ended the project.

There you have it. We had this tech before '69, when we made it to the moon. It's just a tad outdated. :P

I mean vastly >.>

In that whatever the government claims is "cutting edge" and "high-tech" is really 10+ years old. In other words, it's damn well possible that they've already got some kind of crazy interplanetary travel, but they've just deemed it necessary to hide the fact, for civil-civility. Yeah. Civility....

fugibo

Quote from: Seox on June 23, 2009, 06:54:28 pm
Uhm...

Quoteinitiated in 1958

I mean vastly >.>

In that whatever the government claims is "cutting edge" and "high-tech" is really 10+ years old. In other words, it's damn well possible that they've already got some kind of crazy interplanetary travel, but they've just deemed it necessary to hide the fact, for civil-civility. Yeah. Civility....

Even Soviet Russia bragged about it almost instantly when they succeeded.

Seox

Quote from: Longfellow on June 23, 2009, 06:55:36 pm
Quote from: Seox on June 23, 2009, 06:54:28 pm
Uhm...

Quoteinitiated in 1958

I mean vastly >.>

Even Soviet Russia bragged about it almost instantly when they succeeded.

BUT

Firstly, who's to say that they actually did it? And, if they did, who's to say that they hadn't done it WAY earlier, and only then released the info. And, even if they did do it on time, they had something to gain - political and military supremacy over the U.S. during the cold war.

Again, my point emerges victorious - a government only releases information when it is to its benefit. Leaks occur, but only rarely.

Spaceman McConaughey

I don't care what you say, Seox. :D I do infact believe the government, and whoever else is involved, has not figured out how to travel to other palnets beyond our solar system.

And, if you ment "travel to planets in our solar system", get that out of this topic, because this is about Extraterrestrial Life, traveling to our planet. So clearly, any talk about traveling to another planet SHOULD be about planets beyond our solar system. :D

Seox

Quote from: Branden on June 24, 2009, 11:59:43 pm
I don't care what you say, Seox. :D I do infact believe the government, and whoever else is involved, has not figured out how to travel to other palnets beyond our solar system.

And, if you ment "travel to planets in our solar system", get that out of this topic, because this is about Extraterrestrial Life, traveling to our planet. So clearly, any talk about traveling to another planet SHOULD be about planets beyond our solar system. :D

First of all, if my theory holds true, then you just PROVED it.

That's exactly the thought process that they'd intend to instill upon the general populace.

Secondly, my previous points still apply. I was referring to one piece of the puzzle that is extraterrestrial life. I was primarily referring to the weighted balances and biases of races, in that, since, FOR EXAMPLE, humans know much about one thing and little about another, even IF extraterrestrials built their own spacecraft, that IN NO WAY signifies an intellectually superior race. Now, most people would claim that it does. Which proves that I'm correct. Because, to us, it is - but only because we have not yet mastered it.

By the way, interstellar is on a much larger basis than just our tiny solar system.

Point being, look at the big picture, and you'll see that my arguments hold their own, with ease.

fugibo

Your logic is epic fail. Srsly. We have no proof that we are the only planet in this solar system with intelligent life, or that there are only Nine Eight Planets. For all we know, there could be eleven.

Seox

Quote from: Longfellow on June 25, 2009, 08:25:50 am

Your logic is epic fail. Srsly. We have no proof that we are the only planet in this solar system with intelligent life, or that there are only Nine Eight Planets. For all we know, there could be eleven.

And who said that they're really planets? They could be ninjas. Ninjas with moons.

Really, though, Branden, I think that you're focusing too heavily on minor details, and not looking at the objective whole of the topic. Look at it IN context, and then it'll become quite clear.