[XP] RPG Maker XP Online System (RMX-OS)

Started by Blizzard, June 20, 2009, 11:52:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Noob

Hey, as the name suggests, I'm a noob and don't know much about servers, etc. But I got mySQL, Navicat, and Ruby, and could somebody please tell me a free site/program that can give a server URL or IP Address or account or SOMETHING so that my computer doesn't have to be the server and be turned on 24/7 and not let me do anything because all its power is being devoted to running my game? Thanks!  :)

Ryex

it doesn't exist. you could get a VPS for about $20 a month that could do what you wanted for a very small amount of people but really unless you build or get another computer to be the server you have to buy space
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

wingish

How do I replace the chat window with a picture?

Ryex

you learn RGSS. the process isn't a simple add a few lines of code here and boom, so unless you know RGSS there is no simple answer.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

wingish

December 05, 2010, 12:14:35 am #924 Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:13:12 am by wingish
I would just like to know where the creation of the window would be. I thought it would be like the hud, where it just displays a color.
I would like to know where/how the window is created, and how to get rid of it without removing the chat functions. Basically I want the chat on the map so I can put a picture underneath it to replace it.

Wizered67

I can't really help you, but I can point you in the right direction. If you look, you will see that the chatbox is based off of FrameChat. You may also notice that this is based off of Frame. From there I noticed a method called create_backround_sprite. You try to take it from there, that's as far as I can go.

ForeverZer0

Place this under "RMX-OS (Script)", or at the end of it.

class Frame

def create_background_bitmap
    @background.bitmap = Bitmap.new(FILENAME_OF_YOUR_PIC)
  end
end

If you have the pic in your pictures folder, set the filename as:
RPG::Cache.picture('FILENAME')
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

wingish

Thank you both for your help. The script you provided me didn't work, however the information Wizered provided me did.

ForeverZer0

Its the same thing. I just added a way to change what bitmap is used. If it doesn't work. you didn't do it right.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Ryex

OH SNAP! i retract my previous statement as I completely forgot about that

also note that doing what Zero0 said will change ALL frames to use that background picture so it would be best to do this

class Frame_Chat

@background.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture('<FILENAME FOR MAIN CHAT WINDOW>')
  end
end

class Frame_ChatInput

@background.bitmap = RPG::Cache.picture('<FILENAME FOR CHAT INPUT WINDOW>')
  end
end

simply replace <FILENAME FOR CHAT INPUT WINDOW> and <FILENAME FOR MAIN CHAT WINDOW>  with the file name of the picture you wish to use in the images folder

Blizzard

Hey, I did quite a nice job making this modular. :self-absorbed:
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

yes you did Blizz, yes you did. :parsing-Blizz:

wingish

Quote from: Blizzard on December 05, 2010, 05:47:13 am
Hey, I did quite a nice job making this modular. :self-absorbed:

Your ego is getting to big. If it gets any bigger, your intelligence and ego will take up to much space and your head will explode :D

Blizzard

That will never happen because my intelligence is nonexistent. I sold it along with my soul for a big ego. Since my intelligence is gone I'm not even questioning if that was a good decision. :V

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Weasel

December 08, 2010, 10:57:14 pm #934 Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 10:59:53 pm by Weasel
Thank you for making this Blizzard, it's a really awesome script. I have a question though.

When I get two players connected, there's obviously a small lag spike, but the main issue I have is that the other player looks like they're jumping around from space to space and you can't really see them walking(it looks like they're lagging). However, my character is running fine. From the other player's perspective it looks like I'm lagging and they're running fine.

So, i'm wondering if this has to do with my server machine, which is currently running off a windows xp desktop with nothing else running on it. Or if this is just one of the unavoidable things that happens to everyone no matter how the server machine is set up.

Ryex

this is a side effect of the client server modal and can't be "fixed" per say as it isn't a bug.

Blizzard

As Ryex said, this is one of the disadvantages of client-server architectures. There are sophisticated methods of interpolation between data to allow smoother (even though actually inaccurate) transitions. But this kind of calculation is usually difficulty to implement or requires additional CPU power. The normal way of players just "jumping" to another position is significantly less CPU intense for both client and server.

Ryex

the one way I could think to fix it wold be to have the server handle every ones movement and report positions to players instead of having the players handle movement and report their positions to the server.  this will of course put more load on the server.  and even though the movement would be smother it would also be inacurite as the position shown by the clients would often not be the players true position. I think it works just fine the way it is.

swick

December 13, 2010, 10:51:36 am #938 Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:26:40 am by swick
Server and everything starts up fine, game says the server is online, but is there any specific reason as to why every time I try to register, and click "Submit", something pops up saying "You have been disconnected"? The first time around I thought that it was supposed to happen after creating new user. But then I went to log in with the same user name and password and I got the same error.This is what comes up in the error log:

2010-12-13 18:47:34 UTC; -1 () - Error:
User 'root' has exceeded the 'max_questions' resource (current value: 10)
./Data/Action_Handler1.rb:32:in `query'
C:/Users/Swick/Desktop/RMX-OS/RMX-OS Server/Data/Action_Handler1.rb:32:in `try_register'
C:/Users/Swick/Desktop/RMX-OS/RMX-OS Server/Data/Client.rb:127:in `check_connection'
C:/Users/Swick/Desktop/RMX-OS/RMX-OS Server/Data/Client.rb:47:in `handle'
C:/Users/Swick/Desktop/RMX-OS/RMX-OS Server/Data/Server.rb:275:in `block in run'

^ Jibberish to me.

Something to do with my internet maybe?

[Luke]

Re-install the SQL database engine, it's not Internet, it's your database. Try WebServ, it works perfect for me.