[XP] RPG Maker XP Online System (RMX-OS)

Started by Blizzard, June 20, 2009, 11:52:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

khkramer

I looked it up, but it doesn't save the growth variable in the database.

Blizzard

August 01, 2012, 04:52:43 pm #1381 Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:55:06 pm by Blizzard
Where else does it obtain the variable from?

EDIT: Actually I know it's taking it probably from the data files. After all, I was the first to write a compatibility plugin for the Pokemon Starter Kit so it works with RMX-OS and I remember how it worked in concept. You should check in the loading methods if the loaded data is properly converted into Integer instances instead of just using plain Strings. Remember that String#[] now returns another String in Ruby 1.9.x, not an Integer instance anymore.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

khkramer

The variable growth is in fact the growthrate variable, which it retrieves from the file dexdata.dat
Only I have no clue how to open this kind of .dat file..

Blizzard

If I remember right, the .dat files are generated based on the .txt files that are used to define all pokemon. Try checking what class the growthrate variable is immediately after loading. Use "p VARIABLE.class.name" for that.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

khkramer

Blizzard

Yeah, something seems to be wrong with the original format of the data then. Have you tried recreating all the data? If I remember right, there should be a special condition that you turn on and then instead of running the game, it would create the data package.

khkramer

I think you mean the compiler for the PBS files (the text files you were reffering too)
I already tried recompiling with that.
http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/ruby19.html#13
^ Could this be the explanation for the "Cannot convert fixnum to string" errors?

Blizzard

It's very likely the cause. This is what I meant with the notation String#[].

khkramer

Mmmmkay, I'll try to give a shot at fixing it tommorow.

Blizzard

Technically you could try aliasing or completely overriding that method and replacing the call with String#getbyte.

class String
  def [](index)
    return self.getbyte(index)
  end
end

That might solve your problem, but generally it is not recommended to change implementations of the standard library since you can mess up other stuff.

khkramer

Tried it, but it was incompatible with too many scripts.
Converting some strings to integers by adding .to_i did the trick.
However the next error has nothing to do with RMX-OS I think so should I pm it to you? (or post in an ARC thread)

Blizzard

ARC thread would be best.

Gutow

Help... just dont work, sql are working but have this problem:

Blizzard

You have mixed server files from a previous version with the current version.

Gutow

But i just download this version: 1.21 and try run...

you know how to fix?

Blizzard

As I said, you have mixed together files. You are not using the cfg.ini from 1.21.

ShinoTakadora

Hello again! I would like to ask you about some things,
Nick of character over the head always on images that displayed on the screen,
It is fixed in future versions?
Also, the chat window can not be removed while talking to NPC,
Also during the show the images, it prevents, o_o

Kiwa

Ok blizz!!
about 4 months ago.. i asked about instanced zones. you told me "bad idea, Read back to find out why ..cuz i forgot really"..
So i just finished reading..and my eyes are bleeding...and i didn't see an information.. perhaps due to the eyes bleeding :P..

============REASON FOR THIS POST!!!!==============
is actually nothing to do with that.. i just wanted to cry a little.

after losing my original, Ive been RE-developing my game. after countless scripts read thru or added..and bugs fixed, or still being delt with... tons of balancing.
I have gotten to the point where i think I'm ready to start building the maps and story events

I fully intend to make this an Online game still...
so here are some of my questions from what I've read or "know" about your system! :D

1. How small/large should i make maps to increase performance / reduce lag? (i found it took forever to load a 500x500 i made offline..unlike RM2k3)
2. How many enemies should i limit to a map or "screen"? (i found in testing 8 clustered enemies lagged my pc quite a bit on occasion using BABS)
3. If I build all maps and story events..how easy is it to implement you're OS to a semi completed game? should i try to get it working before hand? (im not prepared for it quite yet.. no other computer to even act as a server for the time being)

Blizzard

August 21, 2012, 12:03:34 pm #1398 Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 12:04:36 pm by Blizzard
Quote from: ShinoTakadora on August 20, 2012, 04:09:37 pm
Hello again! I would like to ask you about some things,
Nick of character over the head always on images that displayed on the screen,
It is fixed in future versions?
Also, the chat window can not be removed while talking to NPC,
Also during the show the images, it prevents, o_o

There are script calls to disable/hide player names and the chatbox. Just look them up in the manual.
I'm not sure if the name sprites are displayed on top of everything. As far as I remember, they are displayed in the same viewport as the character sprites. Could you make a screenshot of the problem?

Quote from: Kiwa on August 21, 2012, 08:45:36 am
Ok blizz!!
about 4 months ago.. i asked about instanced zones. you told me "bad idea, Read back to find out why ..cuz i forgot really"..
So i just finished reading..and my eyes are bleeding...and i didn't see an information.. perhaps due to the eyes bleeding :P..

============REASON FOR THIS POST!!!!==============
is actually nothing to do with that.. i just wanted to cry a little.

LOL!

1. How small/large should i make maps to increase performance / reduce lag? (i found it took forever to load a 500x500 i made offline..unlike RM2k3)

100x100 are pretty big, but still have a decent loading time. You shouldn't go over 200x200. If you use ARC instead of the normal RMXP, the performance should be much better either way.

2. How many enemies should i limit to a map or "screen"? (i found in testing 8 clustered enemies lagged my pc quite a bit on occasion using BABS)

Clustered enemies will cause more lag, yes. But there is a difference when you are using RMX-OS. Blizz-ABS can't fully use the integrated anti-lag system because all enemies need to be updated. I haven't tried it fully, but 30 enemies should work fine. That combined with a 100x100 map, I think it should work good enough. If it doesn't, as I already mentioned, you can always use ARC instead of RMXP for the final product.

3. If I build all maps and story events..how easy is it to implement you're OS to a semi completed game? should i try to get it working before hand? (im not prepared for it quite yet.. no other computer to even act as a server for the time being)

Getting RMX-OS running isn't complicated, but if you add it at the very end, you may have to redesign some things as you will realize that some thing won't work well online as they do online (e.g. if you have a special quest with some switches, etc.). You won't be able to fully test your game unless you get it online. Technically you can create the whole game offline and then add the online system as the very end. Just keep in mind that you will need a lot of testing at once if you add it at the end as opposed to a bit of testing after implementing each feature/quest/map/whatever online right away. It's really up to you. Maybe you should at least test it out to see if RMX-OS is really what you want.

ShinoTakadora