[XP] RPG Maker XP Online System (RMX-OS)

Started by Blizzard, June 20, 2009, 11:52:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

G_G

Corpse Party was an awesome game. Making some sort of fan spin-off or something?

ShinoTakadora

Quote from: gameus on August 21, 2012, 01:38:31 pm
Corpse Party was an awesome game. Making some sort of fan spin-off or something?

Create something like Corpse Party Online. Not yet thought, what comes out of this)

Kiwa

Thanks Blizz!
I'll probably stick to a 60x60 or 100x100..if the lag is anything like offline.. those will be fine.. basically no loading time.

As for the online play:
I haven't given much info on it i guess. But i want a game similar to Zelda. Somewhat linear but open world..since there is a leveling system..some areas would have high level monsters. i don't intend a mainstream MMO questing system or grind..none of the "Lets grab the '!' and not even read the quest!!"
similarly to my beloved WoW, or Aion, Rift, xXinsert mmo hereXx, so on so forth.

I want dungeons like Zelda too.. puzzles. I want there to be Trash..similar to common MMOS...basically not pushovers. I also intend a "Trinity" system but not to the extent that most main stream games are at. I want bosses to be somewhat "tactical" using environment or strengths / weaknesses of the players/classes (maybe also similar to many mmos + Zelda + Soul Reaver)
To limit a dungeon to an "instanced" area would protect the mechanics of the dungeon. That's why i was interested
I mean...imagine your in a group and you've worked your way thru.. and your trying to defeat the boss and some higher level and his band of jerk faces run in and smash it.
you feel no accomplishment ..and you will get bored.. cuz ..if more than just a small community begins playing ..this is a sure fire FACT that will happen.
And truthfully i can think of no other way around it. if i make the game global to all users on the server...switches could be abused and it would remove the puzzles purpose too.
if the dungeon is supposed to have 4 people and 2 need to lift a lever..and the other 2 have to be wisely selected as to who is going in..or the group could die. and outside is a band of 20 people... they all rush in at once... all my traps and puzzles and monsters are null lol.

I'm not bashing your OS..if it seems that way i REALLY apologize. the fact of the matter is I'm not skilled, so 'I' fail the requirements to make what i want.
So in making the majority of the game on my own, OFF-line.. people may see if its a REAL project or something that will be dumped halfway thru or even before... perhaps i can attract skilled/talented scripters and/or more to make this a reality :D
And if in fact it ever gets scrapped...no ones time was unfairly wasted (much..cuz you guys help on here. Trying to keep casualties low here.)

Thanks for reading my Book...I'll Be in later to sign autographs :P

Blizzard

Lol, I didn't even see that as my OS being bashed. I am well aware of the limitations, but that's what server extensions and plugins should be used for. It's difficult to make a script like this that covers all possible aspects and features. That's why I simply didn't do it and instead made it possible to extend RMX-OS.

Some things can be solved with smart design. e.g. You may want to isolate some puzzle rooms for certain players only (if you can find/make a dungeon instances script) and you could make it that certain switches are local to the player and reset when you exit the dungeon (if you wan the player to repeat the puzzle once re-entering). So many (actually all) of these things can still be done, but not with a bare RMX-OS without extensions/plugins.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

diagostimo

hey, i think i have seen this question asked before, but i cant remember the reply and cant see it on a quick scroll through the posts, i was wondering if and how hard it would be to implement global events? i dont want all events to be global just specified ones, like special game events occuring etc. if it is possible to achieve could you point me in the right direction? i want to get my head around this system so i can script for it alot more :D

Blizzard

I think the answer was to either make a script similar to Blizz-ABS's processor that takes care of global events or to use global switches instead. I think the global switches solution was the safer one.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ShinoTakadora

I apologize, but what about my problem? :^_^':

Blizzard

As I said, use the script calls to hide them for now. Or just wait until I can find some time to take a look at it.

ShinoTakadora

Quote from: Blizzard on August 23, 2012, 02:05:52 pm
As I said, use the script calls to hide them for now. Or just wait until I can find some time to take a look at it.

Thank you, :haha:

Kiwa

Yeah Blizz. seriously your codes are making this even possible for me anymore. Many others on this site too. I'm thankful for what you've made regardless of "limitations" And im thankful for what others have modded or built.
So, thanks for that.

I haven't seen any instance scripts since i looked at the RMXP OS addons. but i haven't searched anywhere but here TBH (I cant get too ahead of my self here...tho I'm notorious for it)
I have an idea for a script...that idk if its so hard to make..and would make an "instanced" zone an "easier" manner perhaps? let me know what you think

Basically it would function like this:
we will call the dungeon "Dunkin'z Dounut" and say its 'MAP003' (yes i know spelling is incorrect)
so upon entering / touching the Dungeon 'Portal' event, before it ports you it would trigger a code thru script command
that would make an ID number... create a COPY of the dungeon map locally and to the perhaps on the server too. that ID number would be shared among the entire party.
so something like this: (Noob Kiwa code 1.2)

NUMBER ==  NUMBER + 1
ID == "D" + NUMBER

Copy "MAP003" + ID (so it makes an actual copy of 'MAP003' plus the ID making something like 'MAP003D1' and placing it in the DATA folder)
Then porting them there perhaps with the 'script' tool instead of normal teleport

Now ..that means. that map is real..but no one else can get in..because the next person who comes along... the server variable ID gets 1 added to it.
so the next party will Receive 'MAP003D2'
After the dungeon was completed...perhaps it would delete it from each user individually as they exited.
Upon server resets.. the variables would also be reset.

I'm no programmer anymore (hardly ever was) nor do i really even know RMXP so i cant say this would work.
This idea stems from how i made games on my TI-89 Back in the day or when I was making a game with a friend in VB 6.0
or perhaps its over complicated..i don't know.

Quick background. before i went to college i had exp with many programs and languages including VB and C++.
in college...
MY old VB teacher said my methods were a bit "abstract" and sometimes couldn't see how it actually worked lol. but passed me regardless.
My C++ teacher however... hated my coding methods..and failed me.. tho i created every program to give the output he wanted
he said my code was dumb and there was more efficient ways to create what he wanted and if it weren't for spaghetti code/string i couldn't make a working program.
quick example:
if my program had 4 functions in it.
and i had to use variable A in many functions.. i created a Global variable.
he expected me to make an extra few lines in each function to call on function1 and copy function1's local variable A into Function3's local variable P.
instead i made a global variable and he failed me off that alone for that project. now i couldn't wisen up to this..cuz i didn't know he was failing me... he did not release the homework or tests till the very END of the course..in one giant stack.. after he turned in my grades to the board. so i was unaware the whole time. After i got it back.. i talked to him.. thats when shit hit the fan....and he said I didn't do it how he wanted me to.. i told him ..you said "make this output" not .."build it like id build it" he started bragging about how he knows what hes talking about cuz he made a program in C++ for Fermi lab that controlled anti matter...and in the end he kicked me out of the class room..(all cuz of some global variables eh? lol...)

moral of that long story... maybe i was never a good programmer...(besides that teacher being an arrogant tool)

Ryex

the hell? I've only been programming at a level I would consider competent for about 2 years but even I know there are about 15 different ways to approach any given problem in programming. true, most of them are in-efficient or don't make use of the language properly but there are always at least 2 equally valid ways to complete a task based on the programer's programming style
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

August 26, 2012, 04:23:00 am #1411 Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:24:37 am by Blizzard
I agree with Ryex. It may be true that your program was not very efficient, but such a thing comes with experience and his duty is to teach you to make it more efficient, not to brag around how he's so much better than you. IMO he didn't fulfill his academic responsibility to you.

As for RMX-OS, yeah, you pretty much nailed down the core concepts. The server should create a map data package just for a certain player when he enters that map and then handle that while other players get their own map data package. It's not that difficult to make, one only has to be careful around the design.

Ryex

I was fairly sure I described a simple way to design such a system in this thread in one point... the gist of it was to tell the client to ask the server what map Id to display when the player's current map id was above the id of the real maps. and have the server map instanced map id to real map id to send to the client on request. if I remember correctly the server handles all the internals for map by simply knowing the map id weather that was a real map on the client was irreverent. it a simple matter of giving the player a map id that doesn't exist and having the client ask the server what real map id to use.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Kiwa

Glad to know I'm on the right track lol. Id like to develop a script sometime to return something to the community... perhaps this can be the one.. but i don't have a grasp of RGSS yet..when truthfully im not spending a lot of time learning how to RGSS...
I don't feel this is so....linear?. and with all the code already created..i don't know what was made by enterbrain or what was made by the coder who made the add on and many other things irl like trying to learn japanese..and working 2 jobs and nerding in video games (as well as the game im making lol)... taking from learning RGSS...but those are just excuses. i could probably make more time for it.

And the school stuff..yeah ...sorry to veer off track don't wanna derail the thread. i get passionate...lol.

Sorry ryex, i probably read the post with zombie eyes or accidentally skipped it cuz..i read all pages in one sitting.. and ..uh..
yeah i was brain dead by the end of it.

Blizzard

There are 70+ pages in this topic, it's understandable.

mPlattenum

Hey Blizzard, thanks for the amazing script. It totally worked for me up until the log-in screen. I'm not sure why, but it keeps disconnecting me.

My server is online (it even says so). MySQL is set up correctly and working in Navicat, the server is running properly, etc. When I open the game, it tells me my server is online. I click on it and then go to register. When I click submit in the Register or Log-In screen, a window just pops up and says "You have been disconnected." then returns me to the server screen.

I'm not sure why.. if you could help out, that would be great. I'll post some screenshots to show you what I mean.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Blizzard

I suggest that you turn on error logging on the server and post the log right after you got disconnected with the client.

mPlattenum

September 03, 2012, 03:06:21 pm #1417 Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 03:16:43 pm by mPlattenum
Well, I looked at the Server after the disconnect, and this is what appeared.

"Table 'mysql.users' doesn't exist" is what I'm taking note of. I'm guessing that needs to be made? (I'm using Navicat for the MySQL.)

EDIT: Well I managed to work that out.. somehow (I changed the table 'user' to 'users' and it fixed it, but I'm still getting the disconnect error). Now this is what I'm getting:

G_G

Wipe your database. Recreate it using the provided MySQL script. Make sure you're using the right one.

mPlattenum

September 03, 2012, 04:01:06 pm #1419 Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:04:57 pm by mPlattenum
Ok, I wiped the database. Do I now just use the "RMX-OS SQL Database.sql" or all of them that are included in the Database folder?

EDIT: Just kidding, I got it to work. Thanks for the help, and thanks for the script Blizzard!
Now onto designing the game. (: