A Knight No More ... A Journey Anew

Started by Calintz, June 21, 2009, 01:24:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

June 21, 2009, 01:24:40 am Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:23:10 am by Calintz
Ultaflame kinda encouraged me ...

Eyes lowered; the idea of chivalry itself banished from his nomenclature of his own accord. A kingdom fallen for all the wrong reasons. "To where will I swear my allegiance?" An answer that can only reveal itself upon a self-evaluation. An interrogation of the soul, asking only the quintessential.

A disheartened hand takes hold of the war-torn grip beneath a cold blade. A thumb presses gently upon the cross-guard. With each new question splintering the mind, the pressure applied grows greater. Evidence of hindrance. The frustration rests within ... growing; much like a parasite who seeks only to feed from its host.

The unsheathing of a sword for a fluent trial. The hope to find a truth greater than any government. The hope to find a greater existence than that of which a knight is accustomed. The passion to find these answers. Emotions converge. An epiphany ... one which can surely guide a knight of relinquished morals upon a new horizon.

"These answers are of the sort that elude realization itself. A journey anew... A journey for truth ... A journey for purpose ..."

BTW:
I did not include a setting.

Arkaea Halfdemon

Between this and the fallen angel, I'm sensing a sort of theme for depression, but it ends nicely.

The words you use are good, if a bit obscure for a more... broad audience. It's a good thing we're all geeks here. You write well, and there really isn't all that much to say about this work, except "Good job."  :)

This kinda bugged me, though: "The unsheathing of a sword for a careful examination. The hope to find a truth greater than any government. The hope to find a greater existence than that of which he is accustomed. The passion to find these answers. Emotions converging to a peak. An epiphany ... "

I understand the sentences are choppy on purpose, but imo, they're a little chaotic at first and second glance. It takes a minute to appreciate the meaning, which, while it's good for poetry, is not as much for prose. But, that depends on your audience. Some people can understand the meaning quicker than others... but if you were speaking to a broad audience, you might want to make the feelings you're writing down a little more obvious. Don't get me wrong - I love this piece. But it took me a short while to appreciate it.   :)

Oh, by the way, your switched tenses from past, to present, to past again. Just pointin' that out. :P

Bravo,

Arkaea

Calintz

June 21, 2009, 01:53:44 am #2 Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:55:20 am by Calintz
I always ad problems when I tried to write in the present tense only ...
Thank you. I can only see one piece of evidence to this though.

Spoiler: ShowHide
Quote from: Calintz on June 21, 2009, 01:24:40 am
To where will he swear his allegiance next?

That is the only contradiction to my tense that I found from a quick scan. Please include more in your reply if you have found any more. I kinda find this questionable even. Like, I think it makes sense even though it contradicts, IDK.

Anyway, I have an idea on how to fix this.
*Goes to fix*

Arkaea Halfdemon

"A disheartened hand grasps the war-torn grip of a cold blade. A thumb presses gently upon the cross-guard. With each new question splintering the mind like a thousand knives, the pressure grows greater. Frustration rests within ... growing, much like a parasite who seeks only to feed from its host."

Entirely present tense. I understand why you did it... Imagery is a powerful tool. But I think that's still against the "rules". I think.

Calintz

Arkaea Halfdemon

You know, when I replied, it was like 4:00 in the morning.

Forgive my stupidity.

Calintz

June 21, 2009, 09:53:17 pm #6 Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:23:28 am by Calintz
It's okay ... When I wrote it, it was like four in the morning, but there was that one instance where the tenses did clash, so I thank you for that.

edit
couple small edits.