True love

Started by Sally, January 29, 2008, 04:11:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sally

what do you guys think true love is?

Vell

the thing most humans wish to acquire, and that which people have made many stories detailing, however it is something no human truly understands, and truthfully, no human has acquired such a thing.

Calintz

I think that true love is hard to find...

We watch TV shows, and movies, and all kinds of animes and what not, and we see love on them. The only problem is, that this love is fake, and has changed the actualt thought of love to a stereotype, which makes true love harder to understand, and ultimately.....hard to obtain.

Vell

no human has ever come close to obtaining it, as one needs to pure of soul to achieve it... and no human in existence obtained that.

Punn

A quote from a friend irl:
True love is sex.

From me:
I get back on you with that one

Reygekan

Love is a biological reaction in the brain which releases three chemicals (I believe they are Adrenaline, Thyamine, and another I'm forgetting) which gets you on a high- love is, in fact, a drug-like addiction, and like everything the body begins building immunities. As such, the entire concept of true love can't exist because love is garunteed to fail given a long enough period of time.

So true love doesn't exist.

[/Science]

Vell

I hate humanity 30% more now.

Calintz

Vell

you dont, i mean, you just DONT Science love... YOU FREAKING DONT

Blizzard

Quote from: Reygekan on January 29, 2008, 07:40:48 pm
Love is a biological reaction in the brain which releases three chemicals (I believe they are Adrenaline, Thyamine, and another I'm forgetting) which gets you on a high- love is, in fact, a drug-like addiction, and like everything the body begins building immunities. As such, the entire concept of true love can't exist because love is garunteed to fail given a long enough period of time.

So true love doesn't exist.

[/Science]

I pretty much agree with those facts, but true love DOES exist. True love is NOT a feeling, though. If you truly love somebody, you don't feel it, you know it.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

no, you see, True Love exists, but is unattainable by humans.

you Can't, and Don't, Science Love because, its more than one feeling, if the person you lvoe is happy, its easier to be happy, if there sad or upset, well, its likely that you are, you dont science it, because humans cannot fathom it. its as easy to understand and build an immunity too as hate. hate is more than one feeling too.

tell me, whats the science for hatred?

there probably isnt one, because humanity doesnt want to know about things that are uncomfortable. and if there is, well, then someone had a brain and decided that if your going to attempt to science the unsciencable, then you might as well do teh same for its polar opposite.

Sally

Vell

I think Reygekan got love mixed up with lust, as does more than ninety percent of the teenage population... and more than seventy percent of humanity.

Sally

Calintz

When you have intense feelings for someone >> but it's really your pheramones suggesting them, not your heart. Basically, your just "horny" and want the person for sex, but not in all cases. Love canstart as lust. I've seen it.

Vell

Calintz put it right.

Reygekan

You can science anything =P

Anyway, I think a lot of people confuse love with intense care, which is far different. I don't believe in "True Love" as the typical percieved love because it's a biological reaction. True Love in the sense of liking someone for who they are, I simply see as intense care and treat it as such. Care, I believe, is a lot truer and "purer" than love itself, which I view of as more of a drug than some kind of heavenly bond between two people.

No I'm not thinking of lust, which is something entirely different. I have experienced both love and lust, and know what the differences are =/

Calintz

Very good point Reygekan

Vell

I despise you for sciencing Love at any rate.

Reygekan

Vell

*murders line*

I'm first.

Fantasist

I agree with Reygekan (the explanation part), except for one thing. I think Care is a sub-set of true love.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Reygekan

Quote from: UltaFlame on February 05, 2008, 09:13:36 pm
*murders line*

I'm first.

Damn, I need a longer line D=

You win respect points for being enough of a heartless bastard to kill about a hundred people =P

legacyblade

True love is unconditional and undying love. You are willing to sacrifice or do anything for the person you feel true love for, and you'd feel the same way even when they stop being attractive (aka, when you're both older, or someone more attractive walks by). If it isn't the above, then it's just attraction.

Vell

thats not True Love, its close, but its just Love. a higher form of it, but Love. its not ordinary Love, but it isnt True Love.

legacyblade

What's the difference, in your view?

fugibo

I think its the crap that gets people killed, feeling awkward, gives them low self esteem, jealously, live their lives in fear, lots of other bad things, and then it leads to sex.

Vell

fugibo

...There's a difference?!

nerissya

True love is a myth. =)  J/k. But im to lazy to write here what i think true love is.. =)

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

Vell

Valcos

I think everyone makes true love seem harder to get than it really is... :-\...you say that tv makes it seem so ah even though it does, doesnt mean that its unattainable because you should believe what you see on tv :P(hope that made sense :D) but then what is the difference between "Love and True Love"? Hmm!? :o
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

you can only notice the difference on you understand it.

you cant understand it if someone tells it to you.

thats the simpleness of it

Valcos

Oh.... :-\...so people cant tell me what it is I have to find out for myself? ???
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

yes.

go forth, young Valcos, search for your answer, and in the meantime, I will be here, holding your family hostage until you come back, with the CORRECT answer, if your wrong, there all dead, one try.

nerissya

Blizzard

true love = conditionless love ?

Could it be? Only conditionless love is so pure that it might be considered true love. Conditionless love has nothing to do with sexual attraction, therefore nothing with lust. You actually *should* get conditionless love from your parents.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

i get it from my Mom, can't tell with my Dad >.> tho even that isnt exactly True Love, its the closest thing a human can experience, but not quite...

nerissya

Lol Blizzard? Blizzard is deep. =)

I still say true love is a myth.

Vell

thats the point im stressing

OMG SCRAMBLE JUST WENT ON!

Blizzard

When I meet psychic people (I have met so far 0 of them), I tell them not to read my mind, they would get lost in the depths. =X

Vell

I wouldn't... and yes, Im psychic.

I say i wouldnt for one reason

my mind is so amazingly complex and frooked up, einsteins mind seems like a dead monkeys.

fugibo

i thought eintein was a dead monkey

nerissya

Quote from: WcW on February 29, 2008, 05:23:44 pm

Thats exactly what i was going to say when i saw his message, but then i figured it was to lame. =)

Valcos

Quote from: UltaFlame on February 29, 2008, 10:21:05 am
yes.

go forth, young Valcos, search for your answer, and in the meantime, I will be here, holding your family hostage until you come back, with the CORRECT answer, if your wrong, there all dead, one try.

....lmao wth! :o That isn't right :'(....
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

nerissya

Quote from: Valcos on February 29, 2008, 11:48:12 pm
Quote from: UltaFlame on February 29, 2008, 10:21:05 am
yes.

....lmao wth! :o That isn't right :'(....

Pwnt. =)

Vell

yes. he was pwnt. but why do you feel its fucking necessary to point it out?

fugibo

lol, still trying to win that poll Ulta?

nerissya

Quote from: UltaFlame on March 01, 2008, 08:06:31 am
yes. he was pwnt. but why do you feel its fucking necessary to point it out?

Dude, no need to swear... -_-

Fallen Angel X

Alright! True love exists!!! And lust and infatuation are a deviation of true love  ;D Also no such thing as love at 1st sight unless you believe in fate otherwise it's usually lust  :o True love as stated by others is unconditional love. BUT true love cannot occur w/o attraction like beauty  ;D That's all i gotta say

Valcos

But if you think you "love" someone who is going to stop you!!! :o They cant always say "no you dont love her...you want her in your pants :-\"... If we cant tell the difference what makes other people see the difference as well?!? :-\
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

lol You know it's true love when you find out that the woman ends up being a guy and you love em still >.>

Valcos

:o You must know from experience!?!? ;D...... ::)hmmm
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

March 01, 2008, 09:00:12 pm #54 Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 09:07:12 pm by Fallen Angel X
Luckily enough, it's just theory  ;D Would be pretty shocking though... No jokes seriously.

Vell

my apologies Nerrisya, I was umm... running off serious stress right there, when im exhausted(physically, emotionally, or mentally) I tend to swear a lot...

Fallen Angel X

You must have a true love for swearing when your drained  ;D

nerissya

Quote from: UltaFlame on March 03, 2008, 02:54:28 pm
my apologies Nerrisya, I was umm... running off serious stress right there, when im exhausted(physically, emotionally, or mentally) I tend to swear a lot...

Apology accepted. =)

Valcos

Quote from: nerissya on March 03, 2008, 05:11:18 pm
Quote from: UltaFlame on March 03, 2008, 02:54:28 pm

Apology accepted. =)

She accepted your apology 8).....But how come you never say sorry to me when your mean to me... :'(
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

cuz im never mean to you under situations where im in enough control of myself to know what im doing.

Nortos

Quote from: nerissya on February 29, 2008, 06:06:46 pm
Quote from: WcW on February 29, 2008, 05:23:44 pm

Thats exactly what i was going to say when i saw his message, but then i figured it was to lame. =)

been a while since I posted in here but lol WcW got pwnt...

Valcos

Quote from: UltaFlame on March 03, 2008, 08:57:41 pm
cuz im never mean to you under situations where im in enough control of myself to know what im doing.

Oh..... :-\....I dont want to know what goes on, on your side of the computer :P
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

when im NOT in enough control of myself, is what that was supposed to say >.> but you understood nonetheless

Valcos

Lol, no i understood :D. I just "didnt" want to understand it :-\...if you know what i mean :P.
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

Fallen Angel X

poor Valcos... picked on by Ulta when it's in control of itself  ::)

Valcos

Ulta doesnt pick on me anymore 8). Ulta is nice now!!!! :o
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

kinda... lets see how long it lasts.

Valcos

Lol, yeh. I dont know you well enough to actually tell how long it will last :-\.
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

March 06, 2008, 09:50:45 pm #69 Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:35:49 am by Fallen Angel X
Ulta's in a good mood? IT must have found another IT to truly love  ::)

Spoiler: ShowHide
I just had an interesting thought. How do ITs reproduce? Do they have a reaaly long life span where they don't need to actually reproduce or are they like hermaphrodites where they can like reproduce like flowers?

Vell

IT is pissed off at you all again

Valcos

NOOOO!!!! That aint cool!! :'(
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

March 10, 2008, 02:40:51 am #72 Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 02:45:43 am by Fallen Angel X
I'm sorry Ulta. Will you ever forgive me?  :'( Oh and everyone else?

Valcos

I think you should ask everyone to forgive you because Ultas mad because of you appearantly :P
-Oscar De La Hoya

Reygekan

Just because I want to piss it off even more =P

QuoteRecent studies in neuroscience have indicated that as people fall in love, the brain consistently releases a certain set of chemicals, including pheromones, dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin, which act similar to amphetamines, stimulating the brain's pleasure center and leading to side-effects such as an increased heart rate, loss of appetite and sleep, and an intense feeling of excitement. Research has indicated that this stage generally lasts from one and a half to three years.

QuoteIn 2005, Italian scientists at Pavia University found that a protein molecule known as the nerve growth factor (NGF) has high levels when people first fall in love, but these levels return to as they were after one year. Specifically, four neurotrophin levels, i.e. NGF, BDNF, NT-3, and NT-4, of 58 subjects who had recently fallen in love were compared with levels in a control group who were either single or already engaged in a long-term relationship. The results showed that NGF levels were significantly higher in the subjects in love than as compared to either of the control groups.

QuoteStudies have shown that brain scans of those infatuated by love display a resemblance to those with a mental illness. Love creates activity in the same area of the brain that hunger, thirst, and drug cravings create activity in.

Source

Boled important parts =P

Blizzard

Quote from: Reygekan on March 27, 2008, 10:42:36 pm
QuoteStudies have shown that brain scans of those infatuated by love display a resemblance to those with a mental illness. Love creates activity in the same area of the brain that hunger, thirst, and drug cravings create activity in.

I KNEW IT! LOVE'S A MENTAL ILLNESS!!!

No, seriously. When being "in love" means that all those hormons cause an irregular state of mind and body with an increased rate of stress, then I actually have been "in love" a couple of time. Again, this is not "true love".

Reygekan

Valid point. The closest anyone could possibly get to "true love" would probably be some kind of close friendship- the love that's typically talked about in socierty is more of a chemical addiction than anything. (Which pretty much means that despite being a cruel and sadistic bastard, I'm a lover. Sexah. =P)

Valcos

I've been in "love" before then :o! Love gives me a head ache :-\... especially if you love a really good friend which you dont want to just happens and its a really big kick in the nuts >:(!
-Oscar De La Hoya

Vell

...I SERIOUSLY hate Science. just because its somethign they cant cimprehend they just make an excuse and make some kind of reasoning for it.

Reygekan

It's something we're curious about so we go to find out what makes it tick. We've found it out now, so we do know how it works. Refusing the explanation of how is simply hiding in shallow ignorance =P

I'm a killer with the ladies.

Valcos

Lmao. Well I'm not bad with the ladies either :P. Just sucks my really good friend is the one i like :'(!!!
-Oscar De La Hoya

Blizzard

I only hate it when I lose my appetite. <_<;

I'm a lady killer as well, but not as good as I used to be. I'm currently trying to get back to my old ways. I might get a PUA as wing, he might inspire me so I can speed this up. :P

Valcos

-Oscar De La Hoya

Blizzard

April 07, 2008, 06:24:35 am #83 Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 06:27:37 am by Blizzard
Pick up artist, google it. They "basically" do what I do to women, the difference is that I always did it that way, they "artifically" learned how to do it. I am what they call a "natural". And I never abuse this knowledge to hurt somebody, but some PUAs do which gives them a bad name.

Vell

lol. we always knew Blizzy was awesome with the ladies... but still, Pick up artists... i hate those >.>

Blizzard

April 07, 2008, 07:35:58 am #85 Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 08:02:37 am by Blizzard
Many people become pickup artists just to get laid. But not all of them are like that. Back at RMRK when some guy (phoenix and some number after the name) wanted to come over as "cool" by advertising for pickup artists, we bashed him completely. Lol, it was fun to fight "my own methods of getting girls". xD Two or three other PUAs joined the forum and defended PUAs (not actually phoenix who started it). I dunno about the rest, but one of them seemed like a nice guy who didn't become a PUA just to get laid, but to get better with the ladies because of his misfortune in the past and I think that's ok.

You can see it that way: Being a PUA means "power" and power can be used for good or for bad things. Just being a PUA doesn't make you a bad person. For example; phoenix was a whimp. He only became a PUA so he could show off which is pathetic. It's people like that who give people like me (people who are good with ladies) a bad, a VERY BAD name. Some people who don't know me well and see how I approach women usually start bashing me without knowing the background. They are like "So, was it fun to fuck her?" and I am like "What, are you jealous? Who are you to judge me anyway? You don't know what happened between us and it's none of your business. And no, I didn't have sex with her because she drank too much. I'd never abuse a situation like that. I brought her home, I slept in her bed next to her, but I didn't touch her." In my entire life I have never used my skills to hurt someone and I will do my best to keep it that way.

I do admit that I dropped a couple of girls in a not-so-nice way by telling them that I manipulated them (which I actually didn't :D). But trust me, they have more than deserved it (i.e. tried to make their ex jealous by hitting on me, I don't let myself get used >:) ).

EDIT: I might not get a PUA wing anyway. I went out last friday and I was about to make out with a girl I met there if my "friend" hadn't fucked up the situation and left me alone in the club. I texted him, but there was no reply. Damn, that girl even liked Trance music... >_> At least the probability of seeing her again is high as we're going to the same club party next saturday. :P Looks like "I'm back" after all. :naughty:

Fallen Angel X

Blizz, Take me under your storm! (i'd say wing but I don't think a blizzard has a wing...) I have no confidence in asking a girl out :'( I need tips :o

Vell

i dont need confidence in asking people out. I'm fine enough.

Fallen Angel X

You've inspired me Ulta! I'm going to ask the person I like out!!!!!

Ulta would you go out with me :o

This is so not a joke >:U

Vell

>.> no. go run to mommy.

Fallen Angel X

Oh.. :'(

I still love you though Ulta!!! Like True love not infatuation b/c I clearly don't know how you look like! And I won't give up! I'll use sheer willpower to change your mind!

Vell

yeah it wont work. just... like, wont.

Blizzard

Stop the spam. >8U

@FAX: You actually don't really need confidence to ask somebody out. You just need to put your mind into a state where you are confident and everything will go fine.

And besides... "Asking a girl out? So what? What's so big about that? We're just going on a drink or something like that, it's not that I'm gonna make out with her or something." Think like that, but act as if SHE wants YOU. Just stay subtle and relax, there's nothing to fear. YOU have asked HER out, right? That means YOU have chosen HER and that means something, think about it: You could have asked anybody else. ;)

Vell

there are a lot of factors to consider... I would never just go to someone i liked but didn't know and ask for a date, I WOULD ask a good friend for a date if i liked them more, but meh, I'm not that kinda person, I don't need a _F constantly. I've not had one yet actually.

Fantasist

QuoteAnd besides... "Asking a girl out? So what? What's so big about that? We're just going on a drink or something like that, it's not that I'm gonna make out with her or something." Think like that, but act as if SHE wants YOU. Just stay subtle and relax, there's nothing to fear

If that's true, I just realized that I'm a natural :naughty:
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Fallen Angel X

hmm... that's a pretty awesome tips! I'll try em out. btw Ulta I'm not surprised :\/
lolz j/k I'll tell you how it works out when I get to it...

Blizzard

Quote from: Fantasist on April 17, 2008, 06:40:20 am
If that's true, I just realized that I'm a natural :naughty:

Very possible. Once, back then, when I wasn't the person I am today (I was 13), a girl gave me a slap on my ass. You know what I said to her? I said "Hey, that doesn't belong to you!" I mean that's what I often do these days. It's a "I am valueable, you can't do that just like that~" technique. But back then, when I had no idea what I was doing, I was using it as well...
Just recently I realized that I was born for this. I was a natural even before I put myself together to be one. And this goes even much further to when I was 11... It's weird that I was always destinied to be the person I am today. It makes me wonder how much of the environment really influences us during growing up. It is said to be about 90%, but I am starting to think that the number is way less...

Fantasist

April 18, 2008, 12:05:26 pm #97 Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:06:50 pm by Fantasist
I believe in besic form of feeling, which make the other feelings (I haven't figured out that 'basic form' yet, and I'm prepared for me being wrong). I think no matter what the enviornment does to you, it only effects the high-level process of thought, but not the low-level feelings which drive your thoughts. And you know what? I'm not social, but I can be a very good communicator when I want to be. I don't even talk much, and I lost just by 1 point before getting to the finals of a debating competition, and it was the first 'official' debate I've participated in.

Well, I can say a lot about true love, but I have no experience with girls as of yet. I have female friends, but no girlfriends yet. And frankly, I don't even care from the depths of my heart. I don't want to have a girlfriend just yet because I just I can't maintain a relationship like that knowing I might not be totally committed.

EDIT: i've learnt that drastic changes are possible in life, I've just been through some myself. I don't know how I'll be in the future, and believe me, I'm dying to know.

Blizzard

April 18, 2008, 12:57:37 pm #98 Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 12:58:09 pm by Blizzard
LOL!
FTS = me, 8 years ago
Though, I had to go through a lot of pain to finally decide that it is enough and drastically changed. Anger, lust for vengeance and apathy can be very powerful emotions, especially when the first two simply "disappear" and the third one takes over and you start not giving a damn anymore about the people that caused you the pain...

I believe when you love somebody, you don't feel it, you KNOW it (as I already mentioned somewhere before).

Fantasist

QuoteFTS = me, 8 years ago

I had a hunch ;D

Quotefirst two simply "disappear" and the third one takes over and you start not giving a damn anymore about the people that caused you the pain...

Only in my case, no one caused me pain directly... ah heck! I've had enough of this, talking about is dragging me back! I'm jus rejoicing my indifferent nature!

QuoteI believe when you love somebody, you don't feel it, you KNOW it (as I already mentioned somewhere before).

I agree.

I had a rather... provoking/cold interpretation of 'love', but recently, I've been rethinking everything I've thought before and 'Life', 'Love' and 'Existance' are the hardest questions for me, no matter how many ways I look at them, I can't seem to find satisfying answers.

Vell

well if you want to know 'life' 'love' and 'existence' you're goin to have one pretty hard day until you finally realize there is no freaking satisfying answer. and it pisses me off too.

Fantasist

Quoteuntil you finally realize there is no freaking satisfying answer

Well, I've been trying to deny it the whole time, let's see when I'll crack.

Vell

hence the 'pretty hard day' part.

Fantasist

Pretty hard indeed...

Vell

resolve to accept it yet?

Fantasist

Not a chance, not yet :p

Vell

Fallen Angel X

You know what? I think my goal in life is to discover true life, the meaning to existence and truth behind the world's creation! It might be disturbing but I will learn the truths of these. I mean... You can't really say love is a drug. I mean it doesn't have the whole you can die from it just by taking it aspect :P

Vell

neosporin is a drug(in a sense i think) and it doesnt kill you. quite the opposite in fact.

I agree, love is not a drug. i believe the person was confused by 'love' being 'physical attraction' as is so fucking common among humans. and yes. pun intended.