Inspiration and Staying Motivated...

Started by Calintz, January 29, 2008, 05:38:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

How do you guys do it!?

My motivation comes from school. I have to finish a solid DEMO, or I fail HS, so finishing is not an option!! But for you guys that do this for fun, how do you stay motivated?? Aren't there time when you just wanna give up and quit?? There has to be...

P.S. This is just a discussional thread related to RMXP. I WILL be completing Well in the Woods even after I graduate. Even more so, because I will be attending a Trade School which consist of less time than college or current school.  ;D

Spoofus

eh, i just think of random ideas that would go with game storyline and i write them on some paper..and when i start putting my ideas to work i just keep working on it....
thats what i pretty much do

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

winkio

My motivation comes from myself and my desire to make a cool game, as well as my friends who are also testers, who constantly wan the next release of the demo and for those bugs to be fixed.

Nortos

My motivation always ends up making a new map or looking at scripting I always dnt do enough work on events :( I find sometimes I do stop getting motivated but than sometimes I give it a rest do some hmwk, ring gf, go out or play a game or read a book than come back and get soo much more done

Fantasist

January 30, 2008, 03:25:13 am #4 Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:27:22 am by Fantasist
My motivation comes from the time and effort I spent for developing the characters, this is applicable for QC. There were other projects i planned, but I gave up on all of them. My goal is not to make a game that everyone likes, it is making a game to express my thoughts and fantasies to myself in a more-than-satisfying way, and I want it nothing less than awesome. I'm lazy and I always drag things, so there aren't many things I've done. But those things I've done are at their best, and this game of all things should not be an exception.

There you go, I already got carried away and am breathing hard right now, lol!

EDIT: And yes, the delay doesn't bother me, cause that's just me. I always take my dear time, but I believe I'm going to make this game in the end. If not in RXP, maybe in another engine. But QC WILL see light someday.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Calintz

Interesting...
>> But when you guys are doing things on your project, and then you do something else, isn't it hard to actually get the real work done?? Aren't you in reality, being side-tracked??

WeaponOD

I have huge problems with staying motivated, because I tend to come up with a great idea, but then after I put a lot of work into that game, i get stuck somewhere, and quit. Then I'll have a break and start a new game, but I've found that if you put a lot of work into something, you will have no problem with motivating yourself to continue. I've actually started on a project that I really enjoy, I've put quite alot into it already, and I think it may be a success.

Calintz

I hope so, have you posted into the "New Projects" threads??

Spoofus

well my only tip for staying motivated is write down random ideas for your project
and when you have the time you put the into you game and if they work good for your gaem that tends to help ya get more into working on it but thats just me

Calintz

Spoofus

hey thanks...
some of the demos and stuff i have played over the time seems to just have some random stuff in it and makes not sense to their story lines..
thats why i always test out my ideas first

Fallen Angel X

Keeping myself motivated has been, most likely, the worst problem I ever had with game making  :o To be honest I have no clue as to how I keep moving forward! I blame Valcos  :P It's probably the thought of saying "OMG I made a game!?!?! I am so awesome!"

Calintz

Let me explain how you keep moving forward...

THINK ABOUT IT!! Lol. I used to have the same problem, but then I started thinking about my game late at night when I was just watching tv or something. Just thinking, what comes after...what should follow...just the same quesion, and the answers will come, trust me. If you have the imagination, the answers will come.

Nortos

yeah it's what I've been doing but than when it comes to eventing I find that boring...I can map on my game or add lots of scripts and script edits for hours and not get bored but than eventing slows me down...

Calintz

Lol, I guess everybody has their weakness...
I don't mean that your bad, just some aspect of the program that doesn't tickle them right...

Nortos

I'm fine with events just bore me...lol

Blizzard

February 29, 2008, 06:15:04 am #16 Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 06:17:57 am by Blizzard
Mapping is slowing me down. #_#
But yeah, I do pretty much the same. When I know that I have some free time coming up I think about my game and get many new ideas. That's how I always keep it going.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

I agree, mapping takes a lot of time, but more and more I'm starting to get the hang of it. It takes some time for me to get used to new tilesets, though they are all basically the same. Once I get the full grasp of a tileset, it takes me approx. 5min to make a 20x20 map really good. The map in my demo for my running system was made in literally 5-6mins.

Also, I thought that you said you had mappers who were helping you Blizzard??

Blizzard

I practically have two, but only one is actually doing something. He has finished one of the modern cities and is working on another one. He's supposed to have it finished, but I haven't heard from him in a week. And I have to admit his mapping is great.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Starrodkirby86

My motivation is that I look and see people's atrocious games (The ones that suck). Then I go, "I can do way better than this! It's a piece of crap!". I tend to not look at the masterpiece games unless I want to for reference. Usually, when I see a good game and play it, I usually go, "Man, this person did so well in making it...I can't ever be on par with him/her."

I get that feeling whenever I play A Blurred Line or Chaos Project...it's really nice that way. But it doesn't exactly matter, since I play games anyway, and I know what techniques are being used, so that kind of makes me feel less miserable at the least.

Any other inspirations would be not to think of an idea yet and focus on one specific area. For a draft, as an example, I'm just working on the storyline, not caring a thing about mapping or drawing yet.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).