Inspiration and Staying Motivated...

Started by Calintz, January 29, 2008, 05:38:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Calintz

How do you guys do it!?

My motivation comes from school. I have to finish a solid DEMO, or I fail HS, so finishing is not an option!! But for you guys that do this for fun, how do you stay motivated?? Aren't there time when you just wanna give up and quit?? There has to be...

P.S. This is just a discussional thread related to RMXP. I WILL be completing Well in the Woods even after I graduate. Even more so, because I will be attending a Trade School which consist of less time than college or current school.  ;D

Spoofus

eh, i just think of random ideas that would go with game storyline and i write them on some paper..and when i start putting my ideas to work i just keep working on it....
thats what i pretty much do

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

winkio

My motivation comes from myself and my desire to make a cool game, as well as my friends who are also testers, who constantly wan the next release of the demo and for those bugs to be fixed.

Nortos

My motivation always ends up making a new map or looking at scripting I always dnt do enough work on events :( I find sometimes I do stop getting motivated but than sometimes I give it a rest do some hmwk, ring gf, go out or play a game or read a book than come back and get soo much more done

Fantasist

January 30, 2008, 03:25:13 am #4 Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:27:22 am by Fantasist
My motivation comes from the time and effort I spent for developing the characters, this is applicable for QC. There were other projects i planned, but I gave up on all of them. My goal is not to make a game that everyone likes, it is making a game to express my thoughts and fantasies to myself in a more-than-satisfying way, and I want it nothing less than awesome. I'm lazy and I always drag things, so there aren't many things I've done. But those things I've done are at their best, and this game of all things should not be an exception.

There you go, I already got carried away and am breathing hard right now, lol!

EDIT: And yes, the delay doesn't bother me, cause that's just me. I always take my dear time, but I believe I'm going to make this game in the end. If not in RXP, maybe in another engine. But QC WILL see light someday.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Calintz

Interesting...
>> But when you guys are doing things on your project, and then you do something else, isn't it hard to actually get the real work done?? Aren't you in reality, being side-tracked??

WeaponOD

I have huge problems with staying motivated, because I tend to come up with a great idea, but then after I put a lot of work into that game, i get stuck somewhere, and quit. Then I'll have a break and start a new game, but I've found that if you put a lot of work into something, you will have no problem with motivating yourself to continue. I've actually started on a project that I really enjoy, I've put quite alot into it already, and I think it may be a success.

Calintz

I hope so, have you posted into the "New Projects" threads??

Spoofus

well my only tip for staying motivated is write down random ideas for your project
and when you have the time you put the into you game and if they work good for your gaem that tends to help ya get more into working on it but thats just me

Calintz

Spoofus

hey thanks...
some of the demos and stuff i have played over the time seems to just have some random stuff in it and makes not sense to their story lines..
thats why i always test out my ideas first

Fallen Angel X

Keeping myself motivated has been, most likely, the worst problem I ever had with game making  :o To be honest I have no clue as to how I keep moving forward! I blame Valcos  :P It's probably the thought of saying "OMG I made a game!?!?! I am so awesome!"

Calintz

Let me explain how you keep moving forward...

THINK ABOUT IT!! Lol. I used to have the same problem, but then I started thinking about my game late at night when I was just watching tv or something. Just thinking, what comes after...what should follow...just the same quesion, and the answers will come, trust me. If you have the imagination, the answers will come.

Nortos

yeah it's what I've been doing but than when it comes to eventing I find that boring...I can map on my game or add lots of scripts and script edits for hours and not get bored but than eventing slows me down...

Calintz

Lol, I guess everybody has their weakness...
I don't mean that your bad, just some aspect of the program that doesn't tickle them right...

Nortos

I'm fine with events just bore me...lol

Blizzard

February 29, 2008, 06:15:04 am #16 Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 06:17:57 am by Blizzard
Mapping is slowing me down. #_#
But yeah, I do pretty much the same. When I know that I have some free time coming up I think about my game and get many new ideas. That's how I always keep it going.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

I agree, mapping takes a lot of time, but more and more I'm starting to get the hang of it. It takes some time for me to get used to new tilesets, though they are all basically the same. Once I get the full grasp of a tileset, it takes me approx. 5min to make a 20x20 map really good. The map in my demo for my running system was made in literally 5-6mins.

Also, I thought that you said you had mappers who were helping you Blizzard??

Blizzard

I practically have two, but only one is actually doing something. He has finished one of the modern cities and is working on another one. He's supposed to have it finished, but I haven't heard from him in a week. And I have to admit his mapping is great.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Starrodkirby86

My motivation is that I look and see people's atrocious games (The ones that suck). Then I go, "I can do way better than this! It's a piece of crap!". I tend to not look at the masterpiece games unless I want to for reference. Usually, when I see a good game and play it, I usually go, "Man, this person did so well in making it...I can't ever be on par with him/her."

I get that feeling whenever I play A Blurred Line or Chaos Project...it's really nice that way. But it doesn't exactly matter, since I play games anyway, and I know what techniques are being used, so that kind of makes me feel less miserable at the least.

Any other inspirations would be not to think of an idea yet and focus on one specific area. For a draft, as an example, I'm just working on the storyline, not caring a thing about mapping or drawing yet.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

nerissya

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on March 01, 2008, 01:15:18 pm
I tend to not look at the masterpiece games unless I want to for reference. Usually, when I see a good game and play it, I usually go, "Man, this person did so well in making it...I can't ever be on par with him/her."

Thats what i said when i played CHaos Project... But it just motivates me to keep on doing because some day i might be as good as Blizz. =)

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

Blizzard

Yeah, you can all become as good as I am. You just need to keep working. :) I'd love to see more games in the ranking of CP.

Valcos

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on February 15, 2008, 05:44:02 pm
Keeping myself motivated has been, most likely, the worst problem I ever had with game making  :o To be honest I have no clue as to how I keep moving forward! I blame Valcos  :P It's probably the thought of saying "OMG I made a game!?!?! I am so awesome!"

You blame me in a good way or a bad way ???...because really your nothing without me!!! :o..... ;D.....F.A.X. is my motivation because otherwise I wouldnt care for this :o!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Starrodkirby86

You know in Death Note where both L and Raito don't exactly like to lose and want to win? Yeah, I'm kind of like that in competitive works. Except I still wish a friendly and great game, unless the other guy's a jerk.
Quote from: Blizzard on March 02, 2008, 12:07:11 pm
Yeah, you can all become as good as I am. You just need to keep working. :) I'd love to see more games in the ranking of CP.
That's what I'm looking forward to. Except one's not going to get anywhere when the only scripts are just from your game Blizzard. A person has to really try to find some original script if they can't script at all...there's so much to make up in another category to get it around CP's greatness. Though, on the plus side, there's barely any finished RPG Maker XP games, so that leaves room of opportunity.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Blizzard

That's true. I also encourage people to make better games, because I will get inspired as well and will be able to make my own game even better. When I played Dark Eternal, I realized how *boring* some of my cutscenes were, so I decided to go one step further and put more effort into making cutscenes. :)

Valcos

Lol, thats the samething that happened to me :D. I saw your cutscenes and wanted to make them better :P. Plus finishing a good game takes alot of time and effort! Because you cant just throw together a game that has no gameplay time :-\. Its kinda useless.
-Oscar De La Hoya

Starrodkirby86

Gameplay Time is never an issue for me. I made something quick and it lasted for an hour or so of gameplay. My old project, probably it had about three-four hours of gameplay, and yet I considered myself still at the beginning. It's just the extra other bits many people lack on (Aesthetics, Puzzles, Eventing, Mapping, Story), really strive to make the perfectionist we all are. And what that happens, we usually are too overcritical about something and so bam, we're on Writers Block. At least, that's what I consider for me... ::)

Valcos

Lol :D, exactly I cant get past the beginning because I dont want it to happen all at once so it takes to long to actually finish the whole game :D
-Oscar De La Hoya

nerissya

Fallen Angel X

March 02, 2008, 05:45:38 pm #29 Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 05:46:22 pm by Fallen Angel X
I'm always striving to match blizz but I'm nowhere close  :'(

Valcos

Nope!! :P But like he said....you gotta put alot of time on actually doing the stuff....Not spamming *cough*F.A.X.*cough*
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

I don't spam THAT much  :-\ But yeah it's true! You gotta have your priorities straight whenever doing something! It's a key to success! If only I could get all of my priorities straight   :'(

Valcos

-Oscar De La Hoya

Calintz

I hate Spamming, and yet I find myself doing itevery now and then...
I think I'm 75% on topic, and 25% off topic most of the time. Though I know this post is Spam, so I'll have to write something contributive...

Actually I would like to get back onto the topic. When somebody tells you you're doing good, do you guys usually get motivated about that!?

Valcos

No! >:( It fustrates me :P Id rather them not comment on how good it is, but just tell me to keep doing it even if I suck or amazing!
-Oscar De La Hoya

Calintz

Lol, anyone else have any input on this??

Nortos

I love it when complements come after Nerissya and Fallen said my game looks nice I put 1 1/2 hrs of solid time into it

nerissya

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 02, 2008, 08:40:15 pm
I don't spam THAT much  :-\ But yeah it's true! You gotta have your priorities straight whenever doing something! It's a key to success! If only I could get all of my priorities straight   :'(

But Blizzard is out at parties all the time wtf. =(

Calintz

nerissya

Blizzard

I'm not at parties ALL THE TIME. I'm only OFTEN at parties. ::)

nerissya

Blizzard

But actually parties inspire me as well. I often meet new people and sometimes I even do something I've never done before. i.e. I was playing the first time Singstar on PS2 at saturday night. We were and my roommate's boyfriend first for 2 or 3 hours before we went to the party. I've had an idea to make a minigame in my game where you have to sing by hitting the right buttons at the right moments.

Cid

I draw inspiration from many things. Mostly stuff that's happened within my circle of friends over the years. When I first started messing around with RM2K back in '02, the aim was to actually make a comedy RPG based on what we got up to during our school days, only greatly exaggerated. Some of these elements are still planned for my current XP project.

TV programmes and other games/RPGs also give me a lot of inspiration. I actually hate it when I play a new RPG because I almost always end-up wanting to shift the setting and atmosphere to suit it. Like the time I played Digital Devil Saga and decided that my RPG needed to have a darker atmosphere and demon-morphs. I've also toyed with Lost/Heroes themes in the past, some of which are still set to be in the game.

Motivation is a big problem for me. Oddly enough, I often lose it due to being inspired by something new. More recent ideas win over against existing ones, and I end up wanting to change almost everything around. Sometimes I'll spend weeks designing characters/animations, jotting down ideas, and really getting stuck in. Then all of a sudden I'll look back on what I've done and just not like any of it. I've made attack animations in the past which I've been immensely proud of, yet when I play them now I just think "ugh...what was I on when I made this?", and leave the whole project alone for the next few weeks. I think it's just a case of my spriting skills getting better over time, and no longer being satisfied with what I already have. Right now I'm in the process of completely redesigning 90% of my playable cast, and cutting almost every skill animation I've made over the last year or so. Although I'm confident that this really will be the last redesign...

On a positive note, it usually only takes one tiny, often insignificant (in the grand scheme of things) idea to set me off again.

Blizzard

With me it's slightly different. Instead of new ideas winning over older ones, I always find a way to connect it to the old idea and build upon it. If not, I usually discard the new idea. I also often get inspired with new ideas when I personally have enough of the old ones, lol!
Sometimes I get ideas by simply seeing a battle graphic or a map. I instantly get half of a story for one character, something like the skelleton of a dungeon's background.

Fantasist

QuoteWith me it's slightly different. Instead of new ideas winning over older ones, I always find a way to connect it to the old idea and build upon it. If not, I usually discard the new idea. I also often get inspired with new ideas when I personally have enough of the old ones, lol!
Sometimes I get ideas by simply seeing a battle graphic or a map. I instantly get half of a story for one character, something like the skelleton of a dungeon's background.

It's the exact same for me. I encourage new ideas, and try to connect them with old ones. My only problem is, the data's too fragmented in a manner of speaking. I have a lot of cleaning to do.

QuoteYeah, you can all become as good as I am. You just need to keep working.  I'd love to see more games in the ranking of CP.

My new goal, which might be impossible in entirety - Make my game which will out-class CP!!
...rather far fetched with my current speed, but someday, Bliz HAS to retire, right? CP WIL be complete one day, and I'll beat it someday... BEHOLD MY THIRD ITERATION!
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Calintz16438 on March 02, 2008, 09:24:43 pm
Actually I would like to get back onto the topic. When somebody tells you you're doing good, do you guys usually get motivated about that!?
Yes, despite the fact out of my whole friends of RPG Making and community wise, there are only less than 10 people that even use RPG Maker, and I'm the best, which is considered obsolete because of the little quantity of people anyway.

Quote from: Fantasist on March 03, 2008, 08:36:40 am
QuoteWith me it's slightly different. Instead of new ideas winning over older ones, I always find a way to connect it to the old idea and build upon it. If not, I usually discard the new idea. I also often get inspired with new ideas when I personally have enough of the old ones, lol!

It's the exact same for me. I encourage new ideas, and try to connect them with old ones. My only problem is, the data's too fragmented in a manner of speaking. I have a lot of cleaning to do.

QuoteYeah, you can all become as good as I am. You just need to keep working.  I'd love to see more games in the ranking of CP.

My new goal, which might be impossible in entirety - Make my game which will out-class CP!!
...rather far fetched with my current speed, but someday, Bliz HAS to retire, right? CP WIL be complete one day, and I'll beat it someday... BEHOLD MY THIRD ITERATION!
You can easily outclass CP in some categories. The only difficult area would be the scripting, especially compiling your very own, as what Blizzard has done. We're lucky that Bliz is very nice to release them out...'least, that's what I say.

Fantasist

QuoteYou can easily outclass CP in some categories. The only difficult area would be the scripting, especially compiling your very own, as what Blizzard has done. We're lucky that Bliz is very nice to release them out...'least, that's what I say.

It's quite the opposite. I can make my own scripts, eventually, but it's everything else that matters...

Valcos

Yeh....I make my own ideas :-\ Does that count for anything  ???....guess not :P
-Oscar De La Hoya

Blizzard

Of course it does. Actively thinking about something is like brainstorming. Why should ideas that you get by brainstorming not count as inspiration?

Starrodkirby86

Do people actually organize and/or brainstorm (Using the classic web technique) for their RPG? Such as ideas, considerations, traits, and all of that stuff, does anyone do that sort? For me, I keep a journal to write the story, but that's just an organization sort of thing. However, I did use a Brainstorm web (bubbl.us, great site for Brainstorm webs), but not to the extent I would use for essays and writing compositions. It makes me curious.

Valcos

Quote from: Blizzard on March 05, 2008, 03:17:52 am
Of course it does. Actively thinking about something is like brainstorming. Why should ideas that you get by brainstorming not count as inspiration?

Sweet, Im constantly thinking of new ideas ;D...most are useless but :P some i actually get something from :o.
-Oscar De La Hoya

Calintz

It's good to see that this topic is getting back on track, and really good input guys...

Fallen Angel X

My inspiration again is also from boredom  :o I might get bored and just start using rmxp  8)

Blizzard

I often work on an idea when I have one. I have a cool idea for a cutscene and then I start improving it in my head. When I finally make that cutscene, I improve it more and more until I am satisfied with the results. (That means I get goose bumps and tears fill me eyes when I watch the cutscene because of its epicness.)

Fallen Angel X

I love when I get moments like those blizz... But I don't get goosebumps  ;) That's a good idea... constantly improving...  :-\ I should do that  ;D

Valcos

Im not going to lie, I do that with my football. But thats not what this threads about so I wont expand on that.

:P But like the old saying "Practise makes perfect" is the way to go 8). Thats what im going to do with my photoshop skillz :D. I wanna start a Title Screen Making thread eventualy :P. Not anytime soon though Im not good enough yet ;D.
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

Quote from: Valcos on March 06, 2008, 08:38:08 pm
Im not going to lie, I do that with my football. But thats not what this threads about so I wont expand on that.

:P But like the old saying "Practise makes perfect" is the way to go 8). Thats what im going to do with my photoshop skillz :D. I wanna start a Title Screen Making thread eventualy :P. Not anytime soon though Im not good enough yet ;D.

Will look forward to that Val :D YAY for practice and hardwork and reaping the benefits to moving forward!

fugibo

I just get bored and mess around with ideas.

Fallen Angel X

Quote from: WcW on March 06, 2008, 10:36:39 pm
I just get bored and mess around with ideas.

I think that's what most of us do really  :-\

Valcos

I guess thats how people get good ??? Would make sense! :P Plus you might stumble upon a good idea and keep making it better then after a couple times you get good at it and there you go you got an abs system!! or something! :P
-Oscar De La Hoya

Caro Ru Lushe

Music & reading inspires me a lot.

specially to get the stuff the right way =<

~ Caro Ru Lushe

Valcos

Music inspires you? For like rpg making or other stuff? :-\
-Oscar De La Hoya

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Valcos on March 07, 2008, 09:59:58 am
Music inspires you? For like rpg making or other stuff? :-\
Music can easily inspire one's idea. Some songs are really epic or they really give an image to your mind. This image can be a good idea to implement into your game. That's how the music industry works with inspiration. And it can work for both. There's a direct link between music and math, positively I have to say.

Fallen Angel X

Then it's such a shame that they won't let me and Valcos listen to music during class. It would... inspire me.

Now to be a bit more on topic! I sometimes get inspired when I look through some forums and seeing people working hard! It inspires me like that.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 08, 2008, 09:03:09 am
Now to be a bit more on topic! I sometimes get inspired when I look through some forums and seeing people working hard! It inspires me like that.
Likewise. Only thing is that my pride goes over the top on my case and when I hear someone is working hard with all the gusto and determination, I would go, "Man, I can do better than that." and have the enthusiasm to continue forth. It's just that you really need to have resources. The default stuff isn't exactly the best now...

Fallen Angel X

That's so true! The default stuff isn't on top. The sad thing though is that I look at the project as a whole and replacing most of the default stuff is... discouraging. I have to start looking at things in pieces  :-\

Blizzard

Flermza

Well, the only things that inspire me to keep creating games, is playing games, watching movies, 0% chance reading novels. XD

You'll never get bored, if you don't force yourself to complete the game in a few days. I've seen some horrible (even worse) games that I have played in RMXP because people rushed to complete their games.

Blizzard

I agree with that. Take your time, think things through, edit them later sometime, etc. This will all help you not to actually get sick of your game.

Fallen Angel X

The worst thing that can discourage someone is if they make a crap game b/c they rushed it  >:(

Flermza

If you rush into the game, you begin to hate rmxp because you think that it is the programs fault. So, you start backing away from rmxp and slowly backing away from the forums.

Valcos

I hate rmxp :P. But its the only easy program to use out there :-\ Plus there is many of people out there that can help you in many ways. ;D
-Oscar De La Hoya

Nortos

game makers pretty easy too or mod engines

Calintz

Quote from: Valcos on March 09, 2008, 02:39:40 pm
I hate rmxp :P. But its the only easy program to use out there :-\ Plus there is many of people out there that can help you in many ways. ;D

WHAT!?
RMXP is THE BEST!! Lmao
At least it is my choice, because I simply love the higher detailed graphics.

Fallen Angel X

(lol Necro posting xD)

Well, rmxp is okay I suppose but if you're going to revive this thread, revive it on something relative please :shy:

I guess another way for me to stay motivated is just thinking about the bragging rights about making a game xD

Calintz

oops, sorry about that. I should have figured it would have been a necro post by now, but I wasn't thinking...

Haha, a small inspiration, VERY small, Lmao...

I won't lie. A big inspiration to me right now is the fact that my girlfriend plays video games!! And she says she wants to play mine when I'm finished with it. =)

Valcos

Montages with inspiring music. That always gets me going xD
-Oscar De La Hoya

Diokatsu

Quote from: Calintz16438 on January 13, 2009, 05:09:59 pm
I won't lie. A big inspiration to me right now is the fact that my girlfriend plays video games!! And she says she wants to play mine when I'm finished with it. =)

That's actually quite sweet XD

I have no inspiration save one thing:

It's not there because I won't tell XD But I assure you the reason is too epic for you too deal with right now so you have got to hold your horses

Valcos

-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

Truth be told, there's a girl inspiring me right now ._. But uhh another thing inspiring me is just knowing that I've got a good friend behind my back and that we can rip through our project ;)

winkio

Right now, I am not motivated at all.  I got roadblocked by the overwhelming task of re-doing and polishing a 500x300 map area (which is broken down into much smaller maps in game, of course.)  The rest of game making is fairly easy for me, except spriting.  Basically, I'm very slow with grahics :(.  But everything else is very easy for me, so I guess it's not all bad.  No other people inspire me: rmxp is just a small hobby for me, and I have no real goals with it, except to finish my game sometime.

Blizzard

Sometimes slacking off is a great way to get inspiration. I usually work on Blizz-ABS which gives me cool ideas about CoSLAL EXA. Related to that I get the one or another idea for CP as well.

Calintz

I know exactly where you are coming from Blizzard!!

So I work at a potato chip factory hand loading their fucking trucks all day right. So, what do you think I do all day while I load??

Bingo!! Ideas are constantly flying into my head!!

King Munkey

i typically listen to music and relax to try and get ideas. Or sometimes i will be driving somewhere and get ideas. Then realize that i have nothing to write it down with and i have noone in the car with me to have them write it down. And typically by the time i get the chance i forgot what it was.

G_G Is my hero!
Munkey != monkey
Munkey > monkey

Fallen Angel X

So I'm just reviving this here dead topic.

Well, if I were to continue making the game I was planning to actually make, I'd do it because I want to give back to this community. I know it sounds corny but the community here is awesome and the thought of giving back might just drive me to actually do something. And sometimes I try pretending I'm competing with some people here. It gets you going a little bit atleast.

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on March 29, 2009, 07:54:34 am
And sometimes I try pretending I'm competing with some people here. It gets you going a little bit atleast.

A-men to that. I don't know if my definition is quite different than yours, but to me...Sometimes when I see people's projects I just simply go, "Ah, I know I can do better than this." It's natural...And it's more motivation when you seem like an underdog or people underestimate you.

Blizzard

I admit that I'm guilty as well. Competition is always good. :)

Valcos

I'm actually going to get back into rmxp. Just unlike you people, seeing competition for rmxp doesnt motivate me cause.... im probably worse than those people who've actually published their games on the forum. Know what i mean xD?
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

Yeah, I might get back to rmxp too. Well, when I can, that is. But today I just started up a new project. And one of my previous inspirations is the cause :D End of the story for now xD

Jackolas

my Inspiration and Staying Motivated is probably from my gaming community.
have about 500+ members that help me with ideas and love the stuff I done so far.
and its the idea that if I finish my game that its realy be looked at and played by those people
and not put away on some site never to be looked at again

RoseSkye

Being the best at my craft.. that and I'm making this game as a final goodbye to my sister. Why? Only I know the reason.

shdwlink1993

Looking at the crap RMXP games that have been sold commercially, I realize that if they sold for a good $20.00 bucks and they use a grand combination of some wonderful features (for example: resources (especially scripts) used without permission (and on the scripts, they frequently don't realize how to USE them to their full potential, like you would expect from a commercial game), interchanging usage of RTP and Clashing-with-RTP style graphics, a plot that even I can easily find to be riddled with plot holes that most five-year-olds would notice (this isn't a case of "Use Phoenix Down on Aeris", but rather a case of an idiot plot), logical failures of epic proportions (EVERYONE can instantly teleport anywhere, right in front of you, except you. I'm surrounded by ninjas), and a few graphics that were probably used in an RPG Maker 2003 game, judging by the pixelation), then I could probably make one and sell it for $40.00.

@Blizzard: ShowHide
Please don't get any ideas about Chaos Project from this. >.<

Oh, and for a laugh (and possibly some angry emails sent to some developers), look at this game. Do ANY of these non-credited scripts sound vaguely familiar? Caterpillar walking script (Copyright (C) 2005 fukuyama), Easy Party Switcher 1.51b (by Blizzard), Location names with a window 2.0 (by Blizzard), Easy LvlUp Notifier 1.21b (by Blizzard)?
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Blizzard

March 30, 2009, 09:28:46 am #93 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:36:21 am by Blizzard
OMG, I'M GONNA SUE THAT GUY! :O I'm not kidding. I'll request 10% or 20% of the earnings as my scripts are vital parts of the gameplay. I did give permission to use the scripts, but that was for Laxius Power 4 if I remember correctly. Also, even if I gave permission them to be used, I request proper credit. I could care less about non-commercial games (as long as people don't claim to have made them themselves), but it's a completely different story in a commercial game.

[EDIT]Credits are at the bottom. http://www.3starsofdestiny.com/ I still don't remember giving permisson.
[/EDIT]

Don't worry, shdw. I know that CP has incosistent graphics. At least I tried to keep them somewhat consistent in different areas like characters, battlers and animations. I don't have the time or the people to make a graphically consistent game CP a graphically consistent game.

shdwlink1993

Quote from: Blizzard on March 30, 2009, 09:28:46 am
OMG, I'M GONNA SUE THAT GUY! :O I'm not kidding. I'll request 10% or 20% of the earnings as my scripts are vital parts of the gameplay.

:o I'll remember not to sell a game with any of your scripts without asking, that's for sure. xD

[EDIT]Credits are at the bottom. http://www.3starsofdestiny.com/ I still don't remember giving permisson.
[/EDIT]

Question for everyone in general: If a person is added to the credits of a game only in a section of their site (the bottom of a page, not the download page), and never mentioned them in the actual game, does it still count as fully crediting them? To me, it's not exactly credit. More like a half-hearted, last-second afterthought to throw them in.

Don't worry, shdw. I know that CP has incosistent graphics. At least I tried to keep them somewhat consistent in different areas like characters, battlers and animations. I don't have the time or the people to make a graphically consistent game CP a graphically consistent game.

I was referring to the idea of selling your game, actually... xD
Stuff I've made:

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

Blizzard

Lol! If I made the decision to sell CP, I would have gotten original graphics that are consistent.

I don't know if there are credits at the end of the game. In any case I'll contact Indinera and ask him what's this all about.

Tazero

If you were a fish...

shdwlink1993

Quote from: Blizzard on March 30, 2009, 09:53:34 am
I don't know if there are credits at the end of the game. In any case I'll contact Indinera and ask him what's this all about.

That's why I said non-credited. At the end of the game, there is indeed a credits sequence. It's not that long. The scripter is Zeriab and Special Thanks go to Amaranth and Bryce.

Quote from: MetaKnight on March 30, 2009, 05:52:33 pm
I stay motivated through competition

A succinct motivation, and a pretty good one to boot (My praising the idea has NOTHING to do with mine  being something like this xD).
Stuff I've made:

Fallen Angel X

Quote from: Fallen Angel X on January 13, 2009, 08:01:35 pm
Truth be told, there's a girl inspiring me right now ._.

There still is ;) And I really like her xD I just don't got the guts to ask her out lmao. But being around her just inspires me to actually do stuff :o

Tazero

Well 2 things inspire me.....
1) Competition ideas and plot twists come from competition
2) Music, all of the music I listen gives me an idea somewhere somehow-
Music is the one thing that speaks to me the loudest out of all forms of communication.

If you were a fish...

Valcos

Not to be rude to anyone that has said the girls inspire them to do good. Especially with the whole RMXP shindig. There is the few odd girl here and there thats actually interested in it but... I dont see how a girl that has nothing to do with anything inspires people.  :roll:. Maybe, I just never met a girl that did... -_-". Who knows :P?
-Oscar De La Hoya

Fallen Angel X

Oh, they don't have to be into rmxp to inspire you. Atleast for me. Well, I don't want to explain further details. :shy:

Valcos

-Oscar De La Hoya

RoseSkye

Oh yeah I can totally see how someone tinkering with RMXP makes women all hot and bothered.

So what do you do with your spare time? OH?! RPG MAKER?!?!

PIXEL ART IS AWESOME!!!! *throws panties*

Blizzard

I actually don't tell girls that. In fact I tell them as few details about me as possible. :P

RoseSkye

Smart guy.

My experience with women is the less you say the more they cling to you.
If you open your mouth and blurt out the wrong thing kiss your sex goodbye.

Blizzard

Why else do you think I practice this method? xD
The real reason is the mystery around you and they're constantly thinking about you to figure you out. It's a combination of falling in love and obsession and we all know that obsession is much stronger. Of course you shouldn't take it too far.

But back on topic, we're not talking about seduction here. *kicks the people back who long for more information*
Have I mentioned that I get my best ideas on the toilet? Seriously. When I am playing a good game and I go to toilet, my mind is separated from the game for a moment, but somehow still in the flow. I start getting inspiration all the way. Sometimes it's so strong that I stop playing and go work on my own game or make music or make digital art or w/e.

Fallen Angel X

Not so much the toilet but the shower for me xD I don't know. The washroom is magical ._.

Tazero

Either i took that the wrong way or your just sick.

Once again music inspires me in all kinds of different ways not the lyrics but the sound.

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

You took it the wrong way. You always do.

Valcos

Idk... when im on the toilet, i kinda think of other things. :huh:
-Oscar De La Hoya

Blizzard

It's not specifically the toilet that boosts up my imagination but the state of my mind that was caused by what I was doing before going to the toilet. -_-

Valcos

Ooh, once I hit that toilet... its all business 8)
-Oscar De La Hoya

RoseSkye

Quote from: MetaKnight on April 01, 2009, 03:13:05 pm
Either i took that up my anus or your just sick.

Once again music inspires me in all kinds of different ways not the lyrics but the sound.

.. Indeed you took it the wrong way.

tSwitch

Inspiration?
I take naps.

No seriously, my dreams are crazy shit, and some of my best ideas started because of dreams
(The Insanity was a dream that I turned into a short story)

Quote from: RoseSkye on March 30, 2009, 05:17:23 am
Being the best at my craft..

Sorry, am I in your way?
My bad.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

Fantasist

QuoteNo seriously, my dreams are crazy shit, and some of my best ideas started because of dreams

Some of mine too! I LOVE my subconscious mind!

Valcos

Wow, about 90% of the time i cant even remember my dreams a half hour after i wake up. Plus, most of my dreams have to do with football and vagina -_-"
-Oscar De La Hoya

Tazero

My dreams are all about me killing random people

If you were a fish...

Blizzard

Quote from: Valcos on April 02, 2009, 12:19:27 pm
Wow, about 90% of the time i cant even remember my dreams a half hour after i wake up. Plus, most of my dreams have to do with football and vagina -_-"

I misread "football in my vagina" at first. O.o;

Tazero

If you were a fish...

Sally

I get my inspiration from school, and my bed.

Punn

Quote from: Susys on April 02, 2009, 05:41:02 pm
my bed.

(That's the only thing I actually paid attention to..)

As for me, since no one care much about my games (HL, WZBC, Pokeman, Sinner, Ghost) I given up and just make them for fun for myself now, hence why I don't bother with scripts or any other junk.

Valcos

-Oscar De La Hoya

Punn

Sadly.. it doesn't motivated me at all.. since it's a image and not an actual thing..

Sally

well there saying boobs are a motivation, and they put a pic of boobs in there... but i agree, the picture dosnt motivate me at all.

Blizzard

They don't motivate "me" if you know what I mean. ;)

Sally

RoseSkye