Good animes?

Started by legacyblade, June 30, 2009, 12:23:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

legacyblade

Hello everyone. After having given up on anime for a few years, my friend managed to get me to watch an episode of Code Geass. I was instantly addicted, and watched the entire show starting at episode one. But there's nothing left. I've tried a few other animes like .hack and chrono chross, but they just aren't any good. All I can find reminds me why I gave up on anime in the first place. Anyone know any good anime like Code Geass that is english dubbed? If so, any link to a site that has the episodes?

Starrodkirby86

June 30, 2009, 12:30:29 am #1 Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 01:49:21 am by Starrodkirby86
If you want links to particular anime, simply go here:
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=2616.0

Depends on your tastes. If you liked Code Geass...Eh, I'm not sure really...

I would suggest you something, but it's too bad they're only Japanese. :P

Answer my PM dangit ;<

EDIT: To prevent anything, I suggested him FMA, Death Note, and Ghost in the Shell.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Blizzard

Didn't I make a topic like this already? xD I think it was back at RMRK, though.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Hellfire Dragon

Well if you liked Code Geass then go with Death Note like SRK said. Did you watch Code Geass R2?
Here's some:
Elfen Lied
Fate/stay Night
xxxHOLiC
Devil May Cry - I dunno, some people like it others hate it, so whatever

If you want dubs I suggest checking out www.justdubs.net or for dubs and subs www.animesquish.org. They sometimes have some dubs JD doesn't and they're great for subs.

Check out some MAL's recommendations here as well.

Diokatsu

Dubs suck, subs are the best.

Also, there is no Code Geass-like anime because Code Geass was a great and original production. Here are my all timke favorites. The list is short, but oh so wonderful.

Series:
Bottle Fairy
Kamisama Kazoku
Shuffle!
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Kannazuki no Miko
Myself; Yourself
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Now and Then, Here and There
Seirei no Moribito
K-On!
East of Eden
Strawberry Panic
HunterxHunter

Movies
Anything by Miyazaki:

• Castle in the Sky

• Spirited Away

• Princess Mononoke

• Kiki's Delivery Service

End of Evangelion
Mermaid Scar
Animatrix

Sorry that I can't list more. ask about any specific titles that you find intriguing.

Starrodkirby86

I believe during my brief session with LB, he said he liked animes that were mostly serious (or semi-serious) with a kind of dramatic mood. Nothing really cute, fluffy, happy, etc.

I guess that can eliminate a few things.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Diokatsu

Quote from: Starrodkirby86 on June 30, 2009, 06:46:56 pm
I believe during my brief session with LB, he said he liked animes that were mostly serious (or semi-serious) with a kind of dramatic mood. Nothing really cute, fluffy, happy, etc.

I guess that can eliminate a few things.

Series:
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Now and Then, Here and There
Seirei no Moribito
HunterxHunter

Movies
Anything by Miyazaki:

• Princess Mononoke

End of Evangelion
Mermaid Scar
Animatrix

That's like saying you only watch documentaries. So bland and tasteless XD

G_G

While we're on the subject on anime has anyone seen Hikaru no go? My friend recommended it but I never bothered watching it

Diokatsu

Quote from: game_guy on June 30, 2009, 07:01:28 pm
While we're on the subject on anime has anyone seen Hikaru no go? My friend recommended it but I never bothered watching it

If you like Yugioh the anime, then sure. If you actually like Goban, then no.

Ryex

June 30, 2009, 11:38:38 pm #9 Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:42:44 pm by Ryexander
I can't really say i've watched all that much amine, I've scene bleach, naruto, and one piece all the way from the beginning, i tried watching DB but it reminded me too much of Pokemon. I watched death not because of the people raving about it, once what happened to 'L' happened I stopped and skipped to the end though I also head raveing about Code Geass, and ghost in the shell but never bothered with them.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

dylanf3

Well, ive seen FMA, Bleach, DN, Huruhi sazumiya, and sum more, all from beginnning to the end, loved em, now watching gintama.
But, what can ya reccomend me with this list?(Dont say naruto!)

Starrodkirby86

Lucky Star I hear gets pretty decent by the end. I mean, you have watched Haruhi, so a related anime can work out as that.

It seems you like to watch a blend of anime, but mostly sort of serious-ish~

Gurren Lagann seems promising for you. It's sci-fi, but in a good way for anime. And if you don't mind insane amounts of gore and quite a number of breast nudity, watch Elfen Lied. Its story gets pretty good.

shdwlink1993

The only other anime series that I've seen are Pokemon, Yugioh, and Full Metal Panic, and since you saw the first two when you were five (don't deny it), that leaves FMP.

Which is awesome, by the way. Hardly Code Geass, but it's similar. You've got the weird magic (which isn't nearly as active as in Code Geass), the Mecha fighting (Only time I've seen a Mecha with a silver ponytail before...), and the intermittent school scenes. Only major difference is that the main male character has no idea about such things as the social graces or blending in. Or not being an uptight military guy.

The point of this is that I thought it was cool.

And on a barely related question, did Code Geass remind anyone other than me of Artemis Fowl? Anyone at all?
Stuff I've made:

"Never think you're perfect or else you'll stop improving yourself."

"Some people say the glass is half full... some half empty... I just wanna know who's been drinking my beer."

legacyblade

July 06, 2009, 04:18:54 pm #13 Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:20:29 pm by Starrodkirby86
Alright everyone. I am starting to develop more distinct ideas about what I like in anime. So far, I've enjoyed DeathNote and Code Geass (Watched both the first and second seasons). I also enjoy certain kinds of fantasy novels, and see very keen similarities between these animes and the novels I like. I couldn't really get into fate stay night, dunno why, btw.

Unique rule based magic system. I like when the magic of the story follows rules. In Code Geass, each Geass had it's exact powers and limitations. You could only obtain Geass if it was granted to you by an immortal, and if you became an immortal you loose your Geass. In death note, you had very specific rules about how a deathnote worked. These kind of animes appeal to me. I can do the non rule-based magic systems, but they have to be pulled off really well and not have any Dues Ex Machina.

Slightly dark hero. These are my favorite kinds of stories, I love a darker hero. Zero and Light were both rather on the dark side of things. In fact, they were very similar characters in almost every way.

Philosophical themes. Both had very strong themes and were philosophical in nature. Oddly enough, they both had almost the exact same theme, but slightly different answers to the theme. And now that I think of it, both ended the same way.
Spoiler: ShowHide
The hero dies (woot)

Dramatic and mature. Not mature as in they swear every other word and there are sex scenes, I just mean the overall feel is mature and maybe a tad dark.

Anyone know of anime that fit those specifications?

Haha censoring plot spoilers, how nerdy must I be :V ~Love, Starrodkirby86

impulszero

yeah i can list a lot anime that have more-less what did u ask
but am to sleepy/lazzy, and i go to work for 'bout 6 hours so i only leave this here:
http://anidb.net/
http://www.animenfo.com/
tipe ip, search it, read it, find it :)
<br /><br />Order is for idiots, Genius can handle Chaos.

Fallen Angel X

Well, I can recommend my most recent anime watched, To Aru Majutsu No Index, although it isn't dubbed. It isn't exactly completely serious but it is for the most part. As for magical powers and whatnot, there's quite a bit of that there. If you want a brief description, here goes:

It takes place in a city called Academy City where science has developed new beings known as espers. These espers undergo a special curriculum to fully unlock their potential and use psychic abilities(from reflection, to electric attacks and railguns). However, religious groups who weren't gifted by science sought power and in turn they developed magic. The story revolves around Touma, an esper and Index, a magician who befriend each other despite being in seperate sides.

Hellfire Dragon

I started watching a while ago but I stopped after 3 eps for some reason :O.o: Might start watching it again ^^

Kagutsuchi

English dub makes me sad :'( Get some subs!

Though if you absolutely want some, I am pretty sure Shakugan no Shana season 1 is dubbed. Shakugan no Shana is a very good anime. Stay away from season 2 thought.

Punn

To aru majutsu no index is a good one, ToraDora is funny in a way at the beginning but gets serious near the end.. Get Backer is alright, Hell Girl is alright, Chaos Head is good, Gantz is insane, Eden of the East is awesome, Zone of the Enders is nice...

(Consults my EX-HD for 700GB of animes...)

Kagutsuchi

Quote from: Punn on July 11, 2009, 12:13:09 pm
To aru majutsu no index is a good one, ToraDora is funny in a way at the beginning but gets serious near the end.. Get Backer is alright, Hell Girl is alright, Chaos Head is good, Gantz is insane, Eden of the East is awesome, Zone of the Enders is nice...

(Consults my EX-HD for 700GB of animes...)

Hell Girl is alright if you like to watch people in misery :P