ATB - Free webhost great for hosting your files.

Started by winkio, July 09, 2009, 07:32:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

This isn't really an advertisement to get you to go to another website, this is just letting you all know about ATB.
They are a free webhost that I stumbled upon, and they are perfect for people on this site, in my opinion.

Do you want to stop using upload sites like megaupload and sendspace for your files?  Do you want a place where you can make a website from your game and host it as well?  For free?

ATB has free sites that have 1GB of disk space and 10GB of monthly transfer.  They have a great control panel, and their support forum is pretty decent from what I've seen.  Best of all, there is no size limit for uploaded files.  So feel free to upload your 200MB game file.  They have great upload and download speeds, and are a breeze to use.

So, if you want to stop using sendspace, go get your ATB site now!

http://atbhost.net/

As a sidenote, you can get a better free site package with more disk space and transfer and such just by posting regularly (5-10 posts per month) in their forums.

Fantasist

I was looking for a place to host my stuff, thanks for the pointer :)

As a side note, I've been using Filefront.com and it's pretty fine so far. Savefile.com is OK too.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

Hm... Do these guys allow scripts to run on their server?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Hellfire Dragon

Looks good, might sign up.

@Blizz looking for another place to host Remexos? :ninja:

winkio

Quote from: Blizzard on July 10, 2009, 04:11:00 am
Hm... Do these guys allow scripts to run on their server?

They support php and mySQL and Ruby and Perl.

Blizzard

I hope they are running Ruby 1.9.1 then. I'll check them out. I just hope they would allow a RMX-OS server to run there because most hosts don't like their customers to run applications like that. #_#

@HD: Yes, I'm looking for an alternate server over which I have full control. It would make it so much easier that I didn't have to bother jc for every time RMX-OS crashed or caused problems.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Hellfire Dragon

I signed up for it, pending approval :/

Seems like a good deal though. 20 posts a month isn't alot for the best package, 10GB disk space and 100GB bandwidth, though I'll check the free one first, whenever it gets approved :^_^':

Blizzard

I just checked. Ruby is not listed there. ._.

Hellfire Dragon

July 10, 2009, 12:30:59 pm #8 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:55:04 pm by Hellfire Dragon
>.<

I found a few that support Ruby On Rails, would that work?

EDIT: My sign up was declined on ATB :/ No reason given either >:(

Blizzard

July 10, 2009, 12:52:59 pm #9 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 12:54:50 pm by Blizzard
Ruby on Rails = Ruby + a gem called Rails
So yes. It needs to be at least Ruby 1.8.6, though, preferably 1.9.1. And they need to allow running scripts that run all the time (aka in background). ._.

winkio

July 10, 2009, 05:34:36 pm #10 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 05:51:45 pm by winkio
My bad on listing the script stuff.  I was just browsing over my control panel and put up the main languages from what I saw:

mySQL Databases + Remote mySQL
php myAdmin
PHP PEAR Packages
PHP Configuration
Perl Modules
Ruby Gems
Ruby on Rails

Anyways...

@HD & everyone else: They have been running out of space off and on, and they keep buying new servers, so they only have brief periods every month or so for new people to sign up (I just found that out =/)  So sorry about that.

@Blizz again: While I was looking for a new webhost, I also found these guys:  I'm pretty sure they supported everything, yeah, Ruby 1.8.7, but I don't know how much space and transfer they have:
http://www.heliohost.org/home/

and would this work for running the server?: # Ruby daemons
Ruby daemons allow a Ruby application to run in the background. They also enable management of the application, enabled a coder to turn their application on or off programatically. This feature is employed by most Ruby on Rails applications.  (its on the same host, heliohost)

EDIT: and for anyone who is searching for a new webhost, this site is pretty good at finding what you want:
http://www.free-webhosts.com/free-hosts.php

Hellfire Dragon

Hey helio is back online. I've been trying to sign up for the last few days, first the sign up was disabled for upgrades or something then the whole site was gone :/

EDIT:
QuoteWe're sorry, but signups are disabled for today (July 6th) for troubleshooting purposes. Please come back tomorrow!

>:( what the hell!... It's the 10th :P

winkio

Okay, maybe my webhost noobishness is hurting more than helping  :^_^':  It seems it was blind luck that I got a hosting package at ATB, and everything is failing now.  Well, at least I tried...

Fantasist

ATBHost declined my registration. It's OK though, I still have 110mb.com. The problem is that even with 5GB, they're pretty serious about not using the space for uploads. Anyone know of a good place where I can store my work without worrying about them getting deleted? Something like sourceforge, but preferably something simpler.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Hellfire Dragon

There's plenty of places if you only want to store files and not have a site or host a server. I use mediafire for alot of my storage.

fugibo

Quote from: Fantasist on July 11, 2009, 04:39:53 am
ATBHost declined my registration. It's OK though, I still have 110mb.com. The problem is that even with 5GB, they're pretty serious about not using the space for uploads. Anyone know of a good place where I can store my work without worrying about them getting deleted? Something like sourceforge, but preferably something simpler.

I use MobileMe's iDisk. But that's probably not an option for you, and it's $99/year.

http://idisk.me.com/wcw.eleven/Public

Blizzard

Quote from: Hellfire Dragon on July 10, 2009, 06:17:52 pm
Hey helio is back online. I've been trying to sign up for the last few days, first the sign up was disabled for upgrades or something then the whole site was gone :/

EDIT:
QuoteWe're sorry, but signups are disabled for today (July 6th) for troubleshooting purposes. Please come back tomorrow!

>:( what the hell!... It's the 10th :P

O_o You can actually get to the site? I get a 404 error each time. ._.

@winkio: I'll try Ruby daemon if heliohost gets back online. That's exactly what I need.

Hellfire Dragon

O_o You can actually get to the site? I get a 404 error each time. ._.

I could, that time, not anymore though :/

G_G

Hellfire Dragon

Yeah me too :???:
I signed up but it can take up to 24 hours for it to activate apparently.

Blizzard

Alright, I registered an account at heliohost and I registered remexos.co.cc. Within the next 48 hours everything will be activated fully so I can try to run RMX-OS for Remexos there.

fugibo

Quote from: Blizzard on July 13, 2009, 07:47:19 am
Alright, I registered an account at heliohost and I registered remexos.co.cc. Within the next 48 hours everything will be activated fully so I can try to run RMX-OS for Remexos there.

Since you registered a domain as well, I assume you're planning on moving the entire project there, not just the server?

Blizzard

July 13, 2009, 08:46:25 am #22 Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:47:27 am by Blizzard
Nope. That site will only serve a server. I WILL add a forum so it seems as if I am making a real website, but I won't really go there. In any case this is more a backup server for Remexos during development so I can quickly restart it or things like that while jc's will most probably stay the master server.

BTW, co.cc domains are free. :)

Hellfire Dragon

Helio was down again today, they just seems to keep going offline andcoming online whenever they feel like it. Makes me think there's some incredibly bored person at the server rolling a dice to see wether he'll flip the off switch or not :P

Though they're on for now :)

fugibo