Back up your game

Started by winkio, January 31, 2008, 11:07:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

You all should be backing up your games.  Either save them in a seperate folder or make an unencrypted installer ONCE A WEEK

Why am I posting this?

My game was just corrupted beyond repair when my computer crashed for no reason at all.  I lost all the scripts, maps, events, the whole database, EVERYTHING.  This is pretty much hell, as I have spent over 100 hours on my project, and was actually very close to submitting a demo to this site.  Now, its all gone.

I'll probably be off this site and away from RPG maker for anywhere from a day to a month, depending on how long it takes to gather the sheer willpower needed to make a fresh start.

So anyways, if you take anything from this, BACK UP YOUR GAME AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK!

See ya later

Sally

what i do is i make a backup on my 1gig thumb drive :) then i can go on other computers and still work on it. :)

whenever i work on it even if 1min i will update the thumb drive with the new folder :) trust me it helps alot then u dont have to croud your computer with a ton of the same thign... right? :P =P

Blizzard

I know how you feel. I make weekly backups as well. Listen, I have recovered over 90% of mumerus game from a corrupted project. If you want, send me the corrupted project and I will see what I can do.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Calintz

I just recently lost my flash drive :(
>> Hoping to find it soon

Blizzard

Here's the recover report of mumerus, BTW.
QuoteCommonEvent.rxdata - completely destroyed, added file without common events (I'm sorry, the file was simply empty ._. )
MapInfos - completely destroyed, created file that has a map index (needs naming and ordering in the editor, sorry, the file was simply empty ._. )
System.rxdata - damaged, not repaired (simply set up again, it's not much work, that file was empty as well)

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Nortos

I back it up on my two portable hard drives

Calintz

I'm gonna have to buy another Jump Drive >> sucks. I don't like having backups on anything else.

winkio

Yes, jump drives are very good.  I have spent 6 of the past 30 hours rebuilding the parts of my game that were completely erased.  This included the Scripts, about 10 maps, Mapinfos, Common Events, Tilesets, The game file, and System.  I did this by painstakingly recreating them through hardcoding (witch copy+paste) or tricking RPG Maker into doing it for me.  I'm pretty sure that this is what Blizzard was talking about doing, but anyways, im back in the game, so to speak, after my recovery.

So anyways, although flash drives are good places to store things, they CAN get lost easily.  I am now storing my backup in a seperate folder on my computer, as an unencrypted game installer.  Now, I guess i'll go to sleep.

Fantasist

I can learn something here, ty winkio :)

Yeah, my PC's just phased out and I'm lucky I have my main stuff in my laptop. And I
m starting to worry, as my lappy's behaving strangely lately. I should backup right away and run some maintainance tasks.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Blizzard

Quote from: winkio on February 01, 2008, 11:53:39 pm
I'm pretty sure that this is what Blizzard was talking about doing, but anyways, im back in the game, so to speak, after my recovery.

No, I was talking about data recovery: Recovering your project by extracting the undamaged files.

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

winkio

oh, well i just remade the damaged files.  Even though it took forever.  And all my maps have different IDs now so i have to redo all the teleports  :-\

Fallen Angel X

Thats a very valuable lesson.. I have been inspired to back up every file of my games!!!  :)

Calintz

I FOUND MY FLASHDRIVE!!
Game Backup is complete!!