High School is a joke (in the US, at least)

Started by winkio, July 15, 2009, 12:20:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

High school...

is pretty hard stuff!  I'm constantly working my butt off.
8 (61.5%)
isn't that bad.  I study from time to time, but it's nothing too difficult
3 (23.1%)
is kinda hard.  I had to do a lot of work at some points to get through it.
2 (15.4%)
is pretty hard stuff!  I'm constantly working my butt off.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

winkio

July 15, 2009, 12:20:29 pm Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 03:28:49 pm by winkio
I just thought I see if everybody has the same opinion as me on high school.  

I bring this up because I just completed my senior year with straight A's, taking 4 AP (college level) classes and getting 5's (highest score) on all of them.  And I did pretty much no studying outside of class for any tests.  Including those 4-hour long AP exams.  So this is why I think high school is a joke.  Oh, I forgot to mention that my high school is a designated college prep school, is considered much harder than most others, and is ranked something like 40th best in the US.  And it's public, not private.

I pre-emptively posted this in spam instead of something like chat, because there is no way that this is going to stay serious.  Idk, I guess I was wrong.

Subsonic_Noise

Well, I can't say anything about Highschool in the US, but the school here is quite ok. You don't have to learn at all (except for the abitur) if you listen during class and if you are averagely intelligent. I mean I never studied outside school and never did my homework, but I get good marks in tests. And I'm in an gymnasium, which is supposed to be the hardest kind of school in Germany.

(My grades are average, but only because of my lazyness and the fact that I get a 6 (worst mark) every time I didn't do my homework.)

winkio

In my opinion, the fact that they go so slow that you don't even have to do your homework to do well on tests makes high school a joke.  I mean seriously, it requires next to no effort...

And then people take it so seriously.  It's laughable.

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: winkio on July 15, 2009, 01:06:21 pm
In my opinion, the fact that they go so slow that you don't even have to do your homework to do well on tests makes high school a joke.  I mean seriously, it requires next to no effort...

And then people take it so seriously.  It's laughable.

Yeah,
but I talked about the german school system, things work a bit different here^^ You don't have to do your homeworks, that's true, but you will get, for example, a 3 instead of an 2 if you do so. (That's what happened to me in most cases)

fugibo

My High School prioritizes a new football field (which we don't need, since the community college let's us use theirs for free), coaches (who are then forced to kill classes by teaching them), and Title I English over actually expanding the school (we're having to stuff our AP English class into the elementary school) or getting decent AP classes for students (who have all of three, I think.)

So leik, anyone else heard of "No Child Left Inside?"

winkio

nope.  But you bring up another good point.  High schools in the US prioritize sports over pretty much everything else.  My school was a pretty lucky exception, being 6 years old and not having a football team (thank god).  Somehow, with only 400 students, they managed to offer like 14 AP classes each year, which was pretty cool.

Ryex

well... [begin_rant]I'm going to be a senior next year with two AP classes and an honers class, but most all of my other classes are going to be a simple (I wanted to get A to raise my GPA) but this last year ever time finals or midtri finals came up I would hear all my friend talking about how they need to go home and study and I was like "you kidding I've never studied for a test in my life and never failed one either" which is true for the most part, I have only studied for two tests the ACT and one time when I tried to test of of algebra 2, (that of course did not work out so well I got 69%'s and I needed an 80% to test out). but apart from that I've never studied for a single test. and this last trimester I got strait A's because I turned in my home work. Our high school is also considered a college prep school.[/not_as_long_as_I_thought_it_would_be_rant]
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Subsonic_Noise

Quote from: winkio on July 15, 2009, 01:29:21 pm
nope.  But you bring up another good point.  High schools in the US prioritize sports over pretty much everything else.  My school was a pretty lucky exception, being 6 years old and not having a football team (thank god).  Somehow, with only 400 students, they managed to offer like 14 AP classes each year, which was pretty cool.

At least that is better in Germany^^ Sports aren't that important here, but we have to do strange things like rope skipping and irish folk dances o.O
Our school priorizes music. We have 7 pianos, 3 celli, 10 guitars... ^^ We also have 3 school orchestas and a big band^^

fugibo

Meh. I only ever put like 10-15 minutes into my 35, and I was kinda forced to then.

The only time I ever studied was for my Acc. English class (memorizing authors and stuff, which you pretty much have to study a little) and AP World History (lawlz, I harldy did any of that, though) since are teacher was both an idiot and in his first year of AP teaching, and I didn't feel like wasting the $80.

In other news: Math is a lost art.

Hellfire Dragon

July 15, 2009, 02:18:03 pm #9 Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 05:53:27 pm by Hellfire Dragon
I don't mind our school prioritizing sports much since most of people in my class do sports and when they get of classes to go train or play matches the teachers usually don't do anything or let us do out homework because they say there's no point in teaching a few people while most the class is gone... Yay! :D
Aside from that... our principal wasted money on a stupid statue for some sports thing that no one even bothers to look at while most of the school is complaining that our lockers are too small, which they are. Though both him and our deputy principal are retiring so maybe after the summer holidays we'll have someone who'll fucking listen to us >:(

Diokatsu

High school is only as hard as you make it.

lyf le$oonz frm Dio

Punn

Compare the school in the US (especially in Ny) to the schools in england.. we're dumb as f---.

fugibo

Quote from: Punn on July 23, 2009, 01:19:13 pm
Compare the school in the US (especially in Ny) to the schools in england.. we're dumb as f---.

Seriously, and then watch or read anything media related from England -- they expect all their kids to know crap like Geography. Some idiot in my town confused Finland with New Zealand the other day and didn't even realize it, they were walking around telling everybody that this girl got ran over by a taxi in Finland -- only ten thousand miles or so 0_o