Twilight of Everleryn { Recruiting now!! August 09 }

Started by archerRin, August 10, 2009, 02:18:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

archerRin

August 10, 2009, 02:18:50 pm Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:30:15 pm by archerRin

Two Gods whom governed space and time created a magical world called Celelynia. Celelynia featured two different lands; each land had its own nation and culture. The lands were separated by divine means so that the Gods could monitor each race's progress on their own.

Behold, for there are two levels in Celelynia.

The Goddess of Dawn created the land above - the tranquil, sky-faring world of Everleryn. It is where nature and peace chooses to flourish.  Although the nation is not advanced in technology and means of combat, they are very content and no wars had ever occurred. Everleryn is very beautiful, sprawling across the nation are numerous waterfalls, rivers, ancient structures and mountains.

The God of Twilight created the land below - the magical and, once, breathtaking world of Agranoa.  The people here were given the gift of magic and most - if not all, know it the minute they are born. Practically everyone practices magic on a daily basis, and there are many mercenaries wielding heavily enchanted weapons. In fact, some wizards have reached a level of mastery close to that of a Demi-God.

Consequently, countless wars had occurred. It is ridiculous as some wars were merely a grudge between leaders, and others were held fun or just to see who is the more competent nation. Recently, there was huge catastrophe that conjured up many evil beings. No one knows whom or what caused it or where the beings came from, but all the nations had to settle their grievances and form a global alliance.

The once glorious land is now barren and dark, riddled with a race of grotesque evil beings named the Fearean by the Arganoans. Countless raids and sieges by the Fearean occur on a daily basis. Not only that, the Fearean has plans of taking the battle to Everleryn to expand their territory.

This is a story about the adventures of a boy who grew up in Everleryn. Not just an ordinary boy - for he is the sole hope of Celelynia.

First off let me say I am really glad to have found this forum. It has a lot of great scripts that I couldn't find anywhere else. So let me share my project with you and hope you can give me some feedback or even join the team!

I was a Starcraft and WC3 Mapper just got RMXP a few weeks ago. I am making my first ever RM project and I want it to be Epic with a capital E. I am recruiting to get things done quicker and it might be more fun with people on the team instead of just myself.

So without further ado...

The RPG will feature
• Semi-Sandbox RPG, lots of quests that give the player a sense of accomplishment and reveals more history / plot the more you complete them. Lots of treasures and dungeons to explore.
• Lively characters all having their own personalities.
• Romance and humorous dialogue.
• Custom pixel art and digital art.
• Custom music that fit the game perfectly, and custom BGS sounds which accentuates the atmosphere.
• The ffx battle system by charlie lee modified.
• Enemy detection battle system - i.e. you walk up to a monster, and it chases you -  not random encounters.

• Engaging multi-dimensional storyline with lots of twists, surprises and emotional sways. There will be a lot of mystery that slowly uncovers to the player. Including -
Warning: SPOILERS!!!: ShowHide

-- A brother that the protagonist does not know about but has power to contact him through a spiritual link power.
-- Protagonist's father is a hidden identity not revealed until much later in the game.
-- A corrupted general in the enemy forces of Fearea who still has a bit of sanity left in him... who knows how he will turn out.
-- A messenger from another continent that is unknown to all of Everleryn. Her identity is concealed until much later.
-- A prodigy scholar/ magus with a twisted personality, he helps the protagonist but will his friendship last?
-- Time will stop flowing in Everleryn, how could this affect things?
-- And much more :)

Here's the storyline and some screenshots so far.
Please note that everything is not final and there may be drastic changes in future.

Characters
Characters: ShowHide
-- Rini --

An ordinary boy raised in Everleryn. Rini is a good-natured and ambitious hunter, who is under the apprenticeship of his father. Hunting is frowned upon in Everleryn and many people look down on his family's ways.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Senin --

Protagonist's father is a hidden identity not revealed until much later in the game.
-- Luciana --

A messenger from another continent that is unknown to all of Everleryn. Her identity is concealed until much later.
She has a tsundere personality. She appears to others as tough on the outside, but she is actually a very kind and sweet girl on the inside.
-- Arcus --

A prodigy scholar/ magus with a twisted personality, he helps the protagonist but will his friendship last?
-- ??? --

Just who is this guy and why does Rini sometimes see him in his dreams?
More will come.

Screenshots
Screenshots: ShowHide
An open ended forest I just made outside the town of EverGrace
My project will be a semi-sandbox sort of game where there's quests and treasures making you want to explore it.

Mapping:

Some new screens. I revamped the starting town and will change the story a bit to suit it. I am going to keep revamping until it reaches awesomeness :) And will try adding lighting effects somehow.

Map of starting town: http://i30.tinypic.com/2qk2usn.png
ingame

Battle System now near completion. You can swing a weap to get initiative and if you get caught from behind or the sides you go into a penalty battle.

Day

Night

Map

Demo Video
Revised Introduction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdGVPela_Og

Tech Demo:
http://vimeo.com/6034332

Recruiting as of August '09

Recruitment Info: ShowHide

I've had RMXP for more than 2 weeks now and I honestly think its a childhood dream come true. I've always wanted to make single player RPGs. I have played heaps of them and I know what makes a good gameplay/story.
I have very high standards of myself (though not a perfectionist), so if I do something it has to be done well. Therefore I think you can be assured that it will turn out great.

Things I can do
• I have a diploma in graphic design. Art and design has been my life, so I know how to make things look good, even if they are not design related.
• I can draw/colour anime style art if needed.
• I write fantasy as a hobby, I was an aspiring author.
• Modify tilesets / sprites. E.g. I can make a ruined town out of a Wood Town Tileset. I'm only good at modifying though.
• I was a mapper since SC - that's like... 7 years now? I am a general all rounder when it comes to making games. I just don't know RGSS scripting much and can only modify simple code.

Kind of people I am looking for
• Pixel Artists who can create custom tileset appearances.
• Terrain Artists who can make beautiful looking maps.
• Scripters/event editors who can write some complex puzzles, make cool cinematic scenes. Or just to help me merge existing scripts so that it will not conflict.
• SFX/Midi composers
• All-round people who can do general RM making to speed the development up.
• Fantasy writers who can also event quests are needed
• Others that can do something else willing to help please reply also and I will consider.
• Willing to work free of charge. It's my first RPG so I have no money to offer. You will be credited largely both on the game's cinematic intro and the end credit roll.
• Who knows, maybe if we assemble an excellent team and project we can continue on and make commercial games in the future :P

If you're interested you must show me examples of work you have done and I'm only looking for quality and dedication from members. Let me know through PM or reply here, then we can talk via chat software.

I can't accept everyone that wishes to join into the team so I have some questions you must answer with a PM:
1) From a scale of 1 to 10, what is your motivation / dedication / seriousness of developing this project with me?
2) Do you have a decent amount of spare time to work on this project? I.e. Are you busy with other things to do in life?
I can't have people who signs up to the team then does nothing or cannot be contacted most of the time.
3) You will be a trial member when you join for a period of one week, and you need to meet my low expectations of contributing to the project. Agree?
Signed: type your username here

Current Team
ArcherRin - Project Leader

Credits and Special Thanks
Credits
Charlie Lee - CBS System.
ccoa - UMS Script
More to be added soon.

Special Thanks
Regi - Coding support

Thank you for reading.

RoseSkye

Kagutsuchi

August 10, 2009, 06:35:55 pm #2 Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:39:25 pm by Kagutsuchi
I am somewhat interested in joining.. though I have to consider it a bit more first.

Also.. grammar(?) error in the tech demo!
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Negative!
A sister must be a good sister, by taking care of his brother, no matter how stupid he is."

It should be her

btw, is archerRin a reference to fate stay night?

archerRin

Thank you both. I have corrected grammar on the prologue, it was quickly drafted before.

@ Kagutsuchi Ty I missed that error. And yes  Rin to Archer suki desu <3

godsrighthand

The screenies look good, nice job. However i thought that in the "the RPG will feature" section you gave out too many spoilers. Everything you wrote after the "engaging mutli......." part, i would have liked to find out ingame
My fav sayings
---My god carries a hammer. Your god died nailed to a tree. Any questions?
---When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
---War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.
---I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
---I intend to live forever, or die trying.

archerRin

Good point I added them into a spoiler. Also revised the intro cutscene now 50% cooler :)

archerRin

Showcasing what I have done during this week on the project.
- Added a lot of new scripts including systems like the CMS from Star Ocean 3. Please note that the summons/ tactics/ quests are not coded correctly as of now.
- New Areas / Mapping
- A musician called Akamizu is helping me out, and has composed the Evergrace's town music!

I learnt a lot recently about scripting and such, but I would really like to have an advanced scripter join the team.