Contemporary Technology, boon or bane?

Started by Fantasist, February 06, 2008, 07:57:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fantasist

When I say contemporary, I talk about technology between, say, 1900 to present (a little here and there). Another thing is, this does not need to be a debate, a discussion is fine too :)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Vell

meh. its not the technology that could be a problem, its how humans use it and how humans evolve with it that could provide a difficulty...

Spoofus

i'd have to agree with Ulta on this one.....
we as humans ( unsure of most of you is human or not >.>)
just abuse what we have and become to rely on it

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

Vell

I consider myself a above-par version of humans.

as long as humanity doesnt get too tech-based, it may be safe.

but earth is already dieing.

Humanity may ahve gone too far as it is.

Spoofus

well i guess thats what we get for being a greedy and ignorant species

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/

Vell

gah, humanity sucks, there technology only makes them worse

theyve taken the acceptable practice of science, too far.

Fantasist

Question is, is contemporary technology good for humans? I mean the flourishing and well-being of human race? I'm not too worried about the earth, cause it can take care of itself. Even if we stupid monkeys blow everything up with nuclear bombs, earth will still survive, life finds a way. And modifying the world around you to suit your needs is not only human, it's the characteristic of all life forms.
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Nortos

Quote from: Spoofus on February 06, 2008, 06:01:10 pmignorant species

What species isn't ignorant unless you believe in a greater being or aliens (which of course I believe in other life in the universe)

Vell

>.>animals aren't ignorant, only humanity is.

its good for humanity, but despite life finding a way, Earth will die beause of us if nothin is done.

too bad those who could do anythin just dont give a shit.

Nortos

how aren't animals ignorant... they're as ignorant to so many things as us they're ignorant of space ignorant of global warming ignorant of other areas of the world if anything they're more ignorant than humans...

Vell

... how do you know? Animals are more intune with nature than humanity, you cant say there ignorant of that, because they were given a purpose, and stick to it, humanity just causes destruction, if were the perfect creation of any religious character, were the pertfect creations of the devil!

Nortos

I didn't say humans aren't ignorant either we're ignorant to lots of things especially say underwater nature but animals are still ignorant to technology all species are ignorant to something...

Vell

atleast animals arent ignorant of there own species.

its humanitys greed that makes it ignorant. it wants to know more, thus its standard for non-ignorancy has been set much higher.

animals arent ignorant, for they know what they need to keep Earth going, and themselves sustained, humanity, does not do this, thus they are ignorant.

accept it, humanity sucks.

Fallen Angel X

*revives*

Yeah, technology is definitely a double-edged sword. But does the benefits it provides outweigh the consequences and problems it causes? I mean sure, with technology we're all living longer. But is that a good thing? I mean, I understand most of us don't want to die but with longer lifespans, we're overpopulating the earth. It's also dulled our instincts. And a heavy reliance on technology can't be a good thing, atleast in my opinion.

RoseSkye

The real question is Humanity, boon or bane?

Technology doesn't do crap to the earth, humans do.

Vell

which is what i was saying, in my semi-depressed way of a year ago.

Fallen Angel X

Now, I really agree with you two there. It's just that I like to take the opposite side for some reason xD And also, Fantasist said about a year back that this wasn't a debate/discussion about human/technology's effect on the Earth but technology's effect on humans. Here's the quote:

Quote from: Fantasist on February 10, 2008, 12:52:54 am
Question is, is contemporary technology good for humans? I mean the flourishing and well-being of human race? I'm not too worried about the earth, cause it can take care of itself. Even if we stupid monkeys blow everything up with nuclear bombs, earth will still survive, life finds a way. And modifying the world around you to suit your needs is not only human, it's the characteristic of all life forms.

Thankfully this doesn't have to be a debate but can be a discussion :D

legacyblade

Quote from: UltaFlame on February 13, 2008, 11:57:25 am
accept it, humanity sucks.

I'm not going to join the debate, but on this concept. What would the world be like without humans? Nothing more than a constant bitter struggle for survival. True, many humans are horrible monsters that only make the world worse, but think about the others. Some humans give their lives for the betterment of their race, and the world as a whole. There are good humans, and bad humans. Humans, even the bad ones, rise above the bitter struggle to survive to fight for a cause they believe in (even if that cause is subjecting others, at least they do more than spend their life trying to get a meal). Animals don't do anything but follow instincts. They don't better future generations, or seek to understand the universe. They just survive.

And you can't say humans are more ignorant than animals. Animals act on instinct, and just are content to remember things to an extent. They know not to touch fire, from experience. But unlike humans, they don't search for the nature of fire. They don't learn to cure diseases, what causes diseases, or spend their lives curing OTHER animals of diseases. Animals live to survive, humans live to gain knowledge, and understand the world around them. (At least I do)

Vell

I'll reiterate.

Quotein my semi-depressed way of a year ago.