Kathis game project pat I - Argo

Started by Kathis, February 12, 2008, 03:38:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kathis

February 12, 2008, 03:38:23 am Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 03:50:33 pm by Kathis
This topic is now only for question, comments, and concerns.

for updated information check
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=602.0

if it's unlock don't post it means an update is coming very soon.

Intro to me
Spoiler: ShowHide

Over the years I have made many projects but never been able to stick with any of them for too long to get them finished, Ether the system crashed, the creative train ended, or mid way I think of something that I want to try and include it in a game but find out that it won't fit anywhere in my current project so I create a new game. But this game this one game has been with me since the day I learned how to program. Sure text games were the big thing in the past and were no longer part of our enjoyment because seriously people like moving graphs then to read anything. When rpg maker 2000 came out I attempted to turn my text game from old (on Vic 20 (ah the old casset how I lost thee to a bad tape player stuiped sister >_<)

Anyway during the rpg maker 2000 I manage to throw in new idea's and game play in there without a care in the world the game was a bit random but it reached 60% compleation before my system crashed (that seems to happen a lot makes me cry in frustration) 

The game had no title for none was suited, and since then I never got enough energy to finish a project but I plan on remaking this game in rpg maker XP.

Here is what I plan on including.... or at least try

Features this color means complete

Herbs: Herbs are consumable and more usefully in potions, All herbs have a positive effect and a negative effect, when mixing herbs to make potions these effects can counter each other out, for example
if a bay leaf caused poisoned but removed stunned and a marsh root removed poisoned and healed 50 hp, the potion results would be cure of stunned and 50 hp since the poison effect was counteracted.  Herbs will regrow in real time bases.

Making potions mini game: this is more of an extra if I get around to it and figure it out, I plan on making the mouse a part of this, for you see each herb will have an area that can be cut off, and the player can cut it any way they see fit, if the negative point is removed then it isn't an issue in the potion's result. Also if the potion is brewed at the correct temperature for the correct length the effects can be doubled, mostly number stats anyway. if done incorrectly the effects can be heaved.

Herb and potion book: this book will be filled in as you progress in the game, it will explain what herb is what and when and where it can be found, (when being what time of the real time day will the herb regrow) It will also include how much it can be sold for and what are the effects, with a picture in the conner to show the herb, (ah one can dream)

ABS system: Using blizzard ABS system (not because it rocks but because I can see where it is coming rather than Behometh's) Blizzard's abs system for controls took me a long time to recall how to change it to what I needed, so I just used a short cut and used the number code for each key you know up = ['38']  His mini map will be included, and inside one home will show the whole village inside, (because I am lazy and don't think 20 inter maps is unnecessary for just 1 town.)

mining: the ability to gether ore and processes it to make armor and weapons will be presented. Also if possible the decay of weapons health. Which leads to...

Repairing Equipment: this will mean that the longer you go on fighting the more likely it is your weapon will break.

Enchanted weapons and armor: Weapons with the ability to fire fire ...lets reword that, cast fire at the swing. armor that absorbs magical damage.  Can you enchant it? No -_- why because I say so and think that will just make it more harder to work with ...if we have time :P

An Air ship: ever wanted to go in those airships? well now you can..however sadly enough if I make a sequal it will be part of another land. but still connected to the first game, why? the text game was based on my liking towards rpg choose your own adventure books, where you make your character and follow the adventure some times the adventure will direct you to another book, but the book you did have could be played through for hours, for you see it was over 300 pages long quite large in size.

Fishing: Ah what better way to say, "screw you world I'm going fishing" then actually doing it. fishing will provide the player an escape from the main story and allow them to relax and hope fully still have fun. Different lure, rods, and bait catch different fish.

Cooking: what you think them fish were only good for sport? You can cook your fish with some herbs different fish and herbs make dishes with different effects. (maybe if I feel up to it we'll throw in other things to cook)

Journal: Ever get stuck on something and go shoot what am I suppose to do, or leave a game and come back later to only forget what you had done, The journal will provide the story at many events, when you enter a new town, when you compleat a story plot, when you start a side quest, when you compleat a side quest you name it. ..no not when you start picking your nose...

custom menu: The menu I wish to use will have the items in catagories.
Items: you will see at the top the following icons, Herbs, fish, minerals, potions, key items, weapons, armor, Books. These will be accessible for the player's ability to sort through their items faster and not have to go through the only item list going, SHOOT WHERE IS IT!

Maps: When you open maps you will see a world map of where you been and a red circle over where you must goto to proceed in events. A blue circle on places you can teleport to, yellow circles around side quest area's, orange circles around places where a side quest can start, purple around your mark area, (your mark is basically a reminder to yourself) and green is a place around places that have been completed 100% (all side quests, chests, herbs been collected)

Stats: When a play levels up you can choose 2 ways to level them up. Ether a) the old fashion let the computer deal with it, or B) choose where the stats will go to.

rearrange party: Party in this version will have 2 modes, mode 1, you have one person out, and when they die it will switch to number 2 in the list.  mode 2, you have your party members out at all times and they will fight when they see fit. Rearrange party will allow you to choose which mode and what order.

Journal: (just where the journal entries will be)

Herb book: (where the book will be)

Load game: This will load your game from one of the game slots (saving will be done at inns and save points and only there)

Quit: returns to title screen

Exchange npc: Have a friend whom is playing the game? and what to give them an item or some gold, this npc is the guy you are looking for. when you talk to them they will ask you for whom the player's name is, What is their game number, and what do you wish to give them, After you do all that the npc will generate a code. You give your friend this code. The code can only be used once every 24 hours after it is punched in. The code will only work for that person's version game, assuming the random game number is the same, and the person chooses the same name.

Inns are evil:[[color=553399] Inns are not the nicest place to stay. When you stay at an inn depending on how much you paid determains on how much your healed at which rate. Real time is effected. Meaning if you pay 10 gold your healing rate might be 1 hp every 3 minuets, when you pay it will show your sprite going to the bed and ask you to save your game on a slot, when you save it will call up the title screen, when you resume play your character will stop healing and the game will do a calculation of how long it's been recovering you at that rate. (reason for this, people spend way to much time on games, and a lot of the players are people whom go to work or school or have other things they wish to do. this will encourage rest from the game so they don't need to be to hasty on finishing it. Also herbs regrow at an certain times of the day, don't like this method make potions. or pay for potions.) Inns recover ALL STATS including death. [/color]and if you stay in the inn for much longer than you require you might end up with additional bonus health, and gain double experience for so long.

Books: There will be books in the game that you can read, these books will provide clues and hints of where to go, they will give you history of the land, and other stories.

Paper dolls: The ideal way of saying armor changes your character's appearance this one is a maybe, a big maybe. mostly because it means a lot of customizing armor. images and weapons.

Puzzles and lots of them: The game will be filled with riddles and puzzles that one must solve the faster you solve them the better the reward.

Run can be faster: You know what they say practice running and you shall move faster. Lets say you had no armor or weapons equipped you could run pretty fast, but if you keep running or walking you could run faster, which will take up energy, Energy recovers over time when you don't run.

(I'll stop there for now)

Story or what I am giving to ya

It was the middle of the night when the story began. People were sleeping in their warm beds, when a storm started to brew over the forest of hope. There stood tall 16 pillars of stone, Each with an element engraved. Fire, Water, Earth and Air. they stood without a care, Order, Chaos, shadow and light, stood tall with enormous might. Nature, Peace, Hatred, Love. They stood tall in the middle of a grove. Metal, ice physic lighting, stood in the passage that was rather frighting. Lighting shoot throughout the sky, hitting the air leaving a sigh. The tables started to crack one and true, breaking a part leaving only a few. The few that stood tall remained, in power without gain. The one's that now were broken were starting to glow, and as if time had became slow, demons started to arise.  The tables that stood tall started to disappear, and a demon would reappear in it's place.  When all 16 tablets were gone 16 demons were stood strong, and as if their presents wasn't clear, the storm had passed and the night sky was clear...

(bah rhyming started with it and kinda went with it.)

At this point you can name your character.

You are a villager of the tree village, Shala, An isolated village that an outsider wouldn't know about for they live high above the ground and those that manage to find it tend to get lost in the forest and die. You have visions and dreams of the event that I mentioned above, and you feel as if it is evil and should be stopped, so you end up going on and adventure. The elders agree to let you go but they want you to go to their guard house to get you trained up so you don't die on them. The guard teaches you about battles and how to fight. and defend yourself. Also he explains the controls of the abs system more throughly then the library would. Before you leave he gives you 4 parting gives,

1. a weapon
2. armor
3. Knowledge of how spot mining locations
4. A bit of information of the Knot vine (herb)

You go through many quests and sub quests and some sub sub quests because they had subs and who doesn't like a foot long sub from subway...(don't mind me it's late and my mind is going on a random tangent again, which is why my games never last too long) You meet...interesting characters such as a green hair mage whom everything thinks she is on pot. and she arguees against you and will burn you to a crisp and feed you to a dragon with offering of ketchup if you tick her off. She can demolish mountains with a single blast.  Maxwell the Dwarf with nice side battle ax, whom sends you on quests to go collect wood for his fire..which ends up setting his house on fire...Or the lovable Galix the rogue that just loves to hit with the ladies, and ends up finding ways out of dangerous situations.

You travel the land and fight the demons what happens next you ask? only time will tell, and the ending must be a spoiler
[spoiler] the good guys win

[/spoiler]

Tile sets up to date are used

-the defult
-A modified inside version I constructed from many many other ones (I didn't fuse I manually cut them out and put them together)

Credits so far

Blizzard
-Abs system 1.89
-Journal 2.0

Kathis
-Story
-Events
-Ideas
-Mapping

Progress: OVERALL 1.9246%

Shala: 79%

Outside: 79%
Inside: 70%
Events: 25%
music selection: 100%
Kathis attention span for game making is based on a meter depending on his mood changes how far he'll go with the project,
Right now 25%,
Currently working on Random game version 3 on rpg maker xp. current status...2% compleat,

Sally

i see ALOT and i mean AALLOOTT of potential in this prodject, keep up th good work, cdant wait to p lay it!

Kathis

February 25, 2008, 04:45:29 pm #2 Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:56:44 pm by Kathis
(just because editing the long post I'll post the progress here.)
due to the fact that I don't want to do a world map when your not in the airship you can walk around the world in a free range environment, so when something has a roman numeral beside it's name just means the next part of that map...

OVERALL 2% (guessing)

Shala : 70%

Outside: 80%
Inside: 75%
Events: 25%

Mist forest: 95%

Outside: 100%
inside: 100% (none)
Events: 80%
Music selection: 100%

Timea Village: 0%

outside: 0%
inside: 0%
events: 0%
music selection: 0%

Dessert of Rath: 0%

Dessert village Shoga: 0%

Dessert village Rashu: 0%

Dessert village Kanga: 0%

Plains of Argo I: 76.25%

outside: 80%
inside: 100%
events: 25%

Plains of Ango II: 0%

(more to come when I get to it I suppose)
Kathis attention span for game making is based on a meter depending on his mood changes how far he'll go with the project,
Right now 25%,
Currently working on Random game version 3 on rpg maker xp. current status...2% compleat,

Starrodkirby86

I am deeply intrigued by this project. I know, on my part, that I never been able to directly stick onto one specific project, but I'm attempting to right now. It seems to be going well. But enough about me, onto your travesty--ah ah, masterpiece.

I don't want to be stupid, but overall, as an average for your map creation finishing (Added up all the percents of the maps and divided them by how much maps there are) and you have a 9% completion. Of course, you're the master, I'm just pointing it out, and there's going to be way more maps than that, but it's just fun math cranking I'm doing (After all, I need all the math education I can get).

The game is intriguing. Though I hope the characters in the story would have some more involvement, more zazz, more dynamic flare into them (That's just a suggestion, your characters may already have this trait, but I'm just blabbing once again) to the point that they are easily memorable rather than them being just text on a topic. Well, the prologue is poetic at least. I have to say that, but why did those stone pillars just spontaneously erect up from the ground? If there's a spoiler in the answer, then don't answer, but I'm very confused here.

I agree with Susys a little. There is potential here, but I'm not blown uber-ly away. Just blown away, like I'm a feather in a strong gust of wind...:3

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Kathis

Mist Forest

Old text that will be removed when I get around to it and feel like it damit

15 villages 
3 kingdoms
2 dessert (4 parts each)
1 plain (not sure how many parts at this time but it's really the world map so I would say about 30 if not more)
3 forests
2 mountain ranges that encircle land.
lots of rivers and lakes,
40 caves.
scirpts
music
design
main story
side quests.
is what is giving at the overall percentage.

shala would be compleat by now but I want to finish the beginners libary but I can't do that since there would be books on how to use the abs system and I plan on using Blizzards new one, I do however have an event in there that can change the color of the text when you get an party change status or item gain or removed.

"Party gained 100 gold" *input item2 me*
The bot takes a varible you put and then applies it I found that the it is possible to combined message commands, such as,  color and varibles

\c[\v[3]] works... If you wish I can make a post in here the details that has came up, and what I got so far. though it will be major spoilers sadly.. 
Right now 25%,

Starrodkirby86

I'd rather not have any spoilers. It would ruin your game greatly, that is, if you have them, since it'll remove any or all suspense the game will contain. Unless you give false spoilers, I don't think that's all right.

That is a pretty big amount of maps, considering the length of your game (You did mention it was to be short right?). You can make an update log if you would like, but I'm here right now relaxed and A-OK, not minding what much you do...until a demo appears.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Kathis

Never said anything about short O.o not sure where you got that message.
Right now 25%,

Starrodkirby86

Quote from: Kathis on February 25, 2008, 07:24:52 pm
Never said anything about short O.o not sure where you got that message.
Hm, I do not know. Oh well, might have misread something about length...that's all right, I suppose. Yes, that's definitely all right. I'll keep believing on that until a release comes. Then we'll see how something changes.

Calintz

Kathis

so many features not added yet -_- can't add the battles untill the abs system is up so mostly all events to work with ah sad tale. hmm  I think I'll make a page for the "faq" or a detailed description of the places.

I have send space uploading a ziped version of what I have so far,

11.14 mb to send and only transfering at 0.98 kb per second  This might take a while. This section will be edited with a link when compleate.
Right now 25%,

nerissya

I must say that this project seems VERY intresting. many cool features. I hope you will put up a demo so i can play it. =)

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!

I demand you to level up my pokemon. :<

Kathis

QuoteHerbs: Herbs are consumable and more usefully in potions, All herbs have a positive effect and a negative effect, when mixing herbs to make potions these effects can counter each other out, for example
if a bay leaf caused poisoned but removed stunned and a marsh root removed poisoned and healed 50 hp, the potion results would be cure of stunned and 50 hp since the poison effect was counteracted.  Herbs will regrow in real time bases.

going to work on that one today because I do have projects that  can take real time and turn it into a variable. So I shall make it and throw some herbs into mist forest and post an update of the effects ^_^;; that way one feature is at least listed.

Edit:

success, for those that are wondering what I did. I took a script that blizzard helped me construct eons ago for a different game  and made game varibles to be changed accordling to time.
time script

class Game_System

attr_accessor :time

alias init_time_system initialize
   def initialize
     init_time_system
     @time = Time.now
   end

def update_time
    @time = Time.now
    $game_variables[100] = @time.sec  if $game_variables != nil
    $game_variables[101] = @time.min  if $game_variables != nil
    $game_variables[102] = @time.hour if $game_variables != nil
    $game_variables[103] = @time.mday if $game_variables != nil
    $game_variables[104] = @time.wday if $game_variables != nil
    $game_variables[105] = @time.mon  if $game_variables != nil
    $game_variables[106] = @time.year if $game_variables != nil
    end

end

then I want to my data base and posted this in a common event set to parallel progress, the following script: $game_system.update_time if
$game_system != nil, this will refresh the variables were ever I am, Now I am going to make the herbs to re spawn at certain times of the day. maybe some rare herbs might only show up or be ready to harvest at certain times of the year, that would be interesting and probably fun for when you really get into it.

Edited again:

well this is going to be fun, I made it so that the water herb plants will switch with another event that says the water is clean (because you can fill bottles with water) so when the time comes for them to re spawn, the events will switch naturally because the damn herb event won't switch on.

btw as an added bonus I shall provide 2 screen shots, of what I mean about the herbs. when they upload of course.
Right now 25%,

nerissya

Vell

wow, din thinkt hat would actually be doable, but once again, Blizz shatrters that, and this is gonna be awesome, i think

Kathis

*still fighting photo bucket for my screen shots...* btw I am now currently working on Plains of Argo Part I now the question remaind's due to the free range I am curious of where I should make after that, so let the views choose (asuming they post before I do) which one should I do next wooh

Plains of Argo part II  (north of part I , contains village town of Timea)

or Dessert of Rath part I (west of plains)

(when images are avialbe they will be posted in my  3rd post (I'll remove the text and post pictures why? because it's organized -_-

details of game
details of map creation progress
screen shots
hints
Faq in terms of maps

-_- I soo want to redo my topic... but I can't not yet.
Right now 25%,

nerissya

It just hit me. I think i know how to do a herb gathering system. :O

Kathis

Update notice: I have pictures now 2 of them in this topic see 3rd post.  these are in mist forest. (P.S. that chest is no longer there I thought logically it wouldn't fit. So I removed it)  the second picture shows what happens if are playing when the re spawn hits and you haven't gathered the herbs in that said time, don't worry only water herbs are effected at this time. why do that and not just a different graphic? because I am lazy to change it to that, and have more to work with.

I am working on Plains of Argo II now and Timea at the same time, I figured the part II plains surround the village, so I might as well have it that you can to that village while in the plains, when you enter it the music will change like normal.

Feature working update: Inns and healing by resting are now done by time, reason for this is because there are many ways to recover hp, through potions or herbs (that and I have so many herbs that like to heal that you can get your hands on..) that I figured that resting will take real time. Inns are evil though, they charge on a pay per rate.  hp / minuet / gold,

the one in timea is   1 hp / 5 minuets / 1 gold 
so every 5 minuets you recover 1 hp at the cost of 1 gold. wow thats a long time, but wait there is more you can bride someone to boost something in the rates (currently only hp is raise able but I'll change that.)  the bride system is based on every 5 gold coins you cough up, the right for hp will boost, sadly you still have to wait that 5 minuets before even 1 hp is recovered (damn variables don't like decimals, but I have it that when the hp rate is 5 to 5 minuets it goes to 5 hp / minuet but you can't break it down further than that 1 minuet it min unless I feel like throwing seconds in there...not yet anyway.)

Plains of Argo is compleat just need some monsters in there, same with mist forest, so thats all good. Oh.. back to that inn pay per stay. Not all inns recover this way, some might say well I'll just flick the magic switch and you shall be healed, and if you don't have enough gold you have to pay a dept to the bank, no shop that is licensed will take your money while you have a debt, when you pay more gold then you should for your debt it will go to a savings account, this money (if it is there) can be used to pay a debt in case you find yourself with not enough money. Every town has a banker npc of some kind, in Shala it's the guard in the guard house. why again did I decide to make it this way? because I honestly wanted to, I am making my game to be a world not a simple throw together and say it's a game. I will put a lot of work into this project and I shall make it as realistic as I can, in sense of logic. It will have it's own laws and it's own politics and market (btw I plan on getting a stock market script where prices change every day. ^_^ that will be fun ^_^)

*edited* I have a game that was saved at 9 pm yesterday and I checked today at 10 am (13 hours)  I have to fork over 450 gold but I recovered 450, so remember to always carry extra.

Right now 25%,

Nortos

hmm that's interesting did you just use a picture for the message?
Mapping could do with bit of work like you having two different auto tree tiles overlaying each other don't really need that, and near the top the long grass appears to suddenly disapear below the tree autotile put some long grass in 2nd layer and tree autotile on third maybe also the normal tree doesn't look very realistic or good under the autotiles, I donno just trying to help and you've got lots of nice features here

Kathis

Quote from: Nortos on February 28, 2008, 11:59:03 pm
hmm that's interesting did you just use a picture for the message?
Mapping could do with bit of work like you having two different auto tree tiles overlaying each other don't really need that, and near the top the long grass appears to suddenly disapear below the tree autotile put some long grass in 2nd layer and tree autotile on third maybe also the normal tree doesn't look very realistic or good under the autotiles, I donno just trying to help and you've got lots of nice features here

1. No that message is a joke, its more of an observation. you'll probably be thinking that when you find out you were too late. Other words it was edited in.

2. no I don't have 2 different tree auto tileset, it's the same on different layers, I did it on purpose to give a sense of different highests of the tree, looked better then as some say "Flat black"

3. Nope, the grass doesn't suddenly disappear, I already picked the mushrooms, which have venom kills the tall grass. As for the rock I thought it looked nicer then it just sitting on tall grass. Also the I didn't want tall grass near the water, if you look at the update topic in the spam room, you'll see some more screen shots that are really from the game. (with the mushrooms)

4. the grass is on the second layer... and the auto tree is on the third layer....

5. I needed something to indicate there are trees and not just a tileset that makes it look like there is suppose to be trees. but you have to imagine it, It's just that due to the angle of the game I cannot make a full tree appear, so I did a bit of it.

Thank you for your input if you have any more comments I would be happy to answer, btw http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=602.0 is the topic that will have the updates, spoilers, and so on, this topic will be used for comments questions or concerns, mostly because I hate clutter >_<
Right now 25%,

Nortos

yeah I knew it was same autotile I meant doesn't look so good when spread out on different layers I dnno that's  just me I prefer flat back than that