New Sprite Style for my game

Started by [Faint], October 06, 2009, 06:56:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

[Faint]

October 06, 2009, 06:56:25 pm Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:01:27 pm by [Faint]
So I found an interesting style of sprites awhile back made by Southerland and decided to try my skill at this style and I have to say i am really liking it for my game along with the Blizz ABS please tell me what you think. Keep in mind these are concept characters so far.

New!!
Scripts by me - State Requirement Skills
current project - Project: AURA

G_G

I like it its cool, where is this spriting style? Like is there a tutorial or something? It looks really basic but I could be wrong.

[Faint]

It was an old sprite template I found by Southerland. I like it I think it allows for more detail.

tSwitch

the female templates' assets seem a little large to me
other than that it looks pretty good.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

[Faint]

I was going for a more anime style character theme. hence the larger features hehe :^_^': :ninja:

Jalm

I look at your avatar and your reply and now I kinda want to make a loli joke, but that would be kinda rude.

Anyway, the wings on the last sprite seem a little off to me. It doesn't look like it matches the style or something. I can't exactly put my finger on it.

Magus

Quote from: [Faint] on October 06, 2009, 06:56:25 pm
So I found an interesting style of sprites awhile back made by Southerland and decided to try my skill at this style and I have to say i am really liking it for my game along with the Blizz ABS please tell me what you think. Keep in mind these are concept characters so far.

cool
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

C.C. rOyAl

could you post a link on where this template is i want it!  8)
Spoiler: ShowHide

Starrodkirby86

[Faint]'s inspiration, Southerland seems to have made these all from scratch as there's no template sprites available. You can see her works here:
http://southerland.deviantart.com/art/Character-sprites-118705992
http://southerland.deviantart.com/art/Monster-Dragon-Soldier-118704738

So you may have to create these yourself as there's no template, kind of like how custom sprites are made for fan-games and all.

That being said, those are really nice works. I hope to see some smooth cut animation. ;)

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

[Faint]

Yea Southerland is kinda an idol for me in the aspects of spriting. I am working on the animations and such atm but I like the style of these sprites it is simple yet bigger so it allows for more detail.

Calintz

They're cute ...
You need to shade. I don't care what anybody says.
New style or not, shading is necessary, and this new style pretty much completely lacks shade.

[Faint]

actually there is lots of shading its just they are not the standard sprite style for RMXP so the pixel canvas for shading is not so small thus not as abrupt.

C.C. rOyAl

so did you just make these from scratch?
Spoiler: ShowHide

Calintz

I see your points, but I would still add more swatches to your palette. That's just me though.
Like I said though, they are good. I do like them.

RoseSkye

D: I'm so going to tell her about this, they look pretty good I'm tempted to hire you as a spriter.

[Faint]

Quote from: RoseSkye on October 10, 2009, 12:55:20 am
D: I'm so going to tell her about this, they look pretty good I'm tempted to hire you as a spriter.

tell who? :???:

RoseSkye

SZ, shes a spriter on my project.

Calintz

October 11, 2009, 04:28:15 am #17 Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:32:16 am by Calintz
Why would you tell her??
To fire her, Lol, or just to come take a look??

@Faint:
Have you ever though of deepening the colors in your palette to add more definition??
If you add more darkness between each shade, then the shading will stand out a LOT more.

As they are ... you can hardly tell there's definition at all, unless you look very closely.

P.S.
When you say this is your new sprite style, do you mean even for standard charasets!?

RoseSkye

[Faint]

Quote from: Calintz on October 11, 2009, 04:28:15 am
Why would you tell her??
To fire her, Lol, or just to come take a look??

@Faint:
Have you ever though of deepening the colors in your palette to add more definition??
If you add more darkness between each shade, then the shading will stand out a LOT more.

As they are ... you can hardly tell there's definition at all, unless you look very closely.

P.S.
When you say this is your new sprite style, do you mean even for standard charasets!?

I kind of am debating that. I might make them standard character sets not sure atm. and I think I will try darkening the colors tonight, thanks for the suggestion.

Few more poses are up now.