New Sprite Style for my game

Started by [Faint], October 06, 2009, 06:56:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

[Faint]

October 06, 2009, 06:56:25 pm Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:01:27 pm by [Faint]
So I found an interesting style of sprites awhile back made by Southerland and decided to try my skill at this style and I have to say i am really liking it for my game along with the Blizz ABS please tell me what you think. Keep in mind these are concept characters so far.

New!!
Scripts by me - State Requirement Skills
current project - Project: AURA

G_G

I like it its cool, where is this spriting style? Like is there a tutorial or something? It looks really basic but I could be wrong.

[Faint]

It was an old sprite template I found by Southerland. I like it I think it allows for more detail.

tSwitch

the female templates' assets seem a little large to me
other than that it looks pretty good.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: tSwitch.us | Twitter | Tumblr

[Faint]

I was going for a more anime style character theme. hence the larger features hehe :^_^': :ninja:

Jalm

I look at your avatar and your reply and now I kinda want to make a loli joke, but that would be kinda rude.

Anyway, the wings on the last sprite seem a little off to me. It doesn't look like it matches the style or something. I can't exactly put my finger on it.

Magus

Quote from: [Faint] on October 06, 2009, 06:56:25 pm
So I found an interesting style of sprites awhile back made by Southerland and decided to try my skill at this style and I have to say i am really liking it for my game along with the Blizz ABS please tell me what you think. Keep in mind these are concept characters so far.

cool
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

C.C. rOyAl

could you post a link on where this template is i want it!  8)
Spoiler: ShowHide

Starrodkirby86

[Faint]'s inspiration, Southerland seems to have made these all from scratch as there's no template sprites available. You can see her works here:
http://southerland.deviantart.com/art/Character-sprites-118705992
http://southerland.deviantart.com/art/Monster-Dragon-Soldier-118704738

So you may have to create these yourself as there's no template, kind of like how custom sprites are made for fan-games and all.

That being said, those are really nice works. I hope to see some smooth cut animation. ;)

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

[Faint]

Yea Southerland is kinda an idol for me in the aspects of spriting. I am working on the animations and such atm but I like the style of these sprites it is simple yet bigger so it allows for more detail.

Calintz

They're cute ...
You need to shade. I don't care what anybody says.
New style or not, shading is necessary, and this new style pretty much completely lacks shade.

[Faint]

actually there is lots of shading its just they are not the standard sprite style for RMXP so the pixel canvas for shading is not so small thus not as abrupt.

C.C. rOyAl

so did you just make these from scratch?
Spoiler: ShowHide

Calintz

I see your points, but I would still add more swatches to your palette. That's just me though.
Like I said though, they are good. I do like them.

RoseSkye

D: I'm so going to tell her about this, they look pretty good I'm tempted to hire you as a spriter.

[Faint]

Quote from: RoseSkye on October 10, 2009, 12:55:20 am
D: I'm so going to tell her about this, they look pretty good I'm tempted to hire you as a spriter.

tell who? :???:

RoseSkye

SZ, shes a spriter on my project.

Calintz

October 11, 2009, 04:28:15 am #17 Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 04:32:16 am by Calintz
Why would you tell her??
To fire her, Lol, or just to come take a look??

@Faint:
Have you ever though of deepening the colors in your palette to add more definition??
If you add more darkness between each shade, then the shading will stand out a LOT more.

As they are ... you can hardly tell there's definition at all, unless you look very closely.

P.S.
When you say this is your new sprite style, do you mean even for standard charasets!?

RoseSkye

[Faint]

Quote from: Calintz on October 11, 2009, 04:28:15 am
Why would you tell her??
To fire her, Lol, or just to come take a look??

@Faint:
Have you ever though of deepening the colors in your palette to add more definition??
If you add more darkness between each shade, then the shading will stand out a LOT more.

As they are ... you can hardly tell there's definition at all, unless you look very closely.

P.S.
When you say this is your new sprite style, do you mean even for standard charasets!?

I kind of am debating that. I might make them standard character sets not sure atm. and I think I will try darkening the colors tonight, thanks for the suggestion.

Few more poses are up now.

Calintz

What battle system does your game feature??

[Faint]

Calintz

Well you better go with the side-view for graphics that large.

[Faint]

Calintz

Really??
You said during the debate that you were gonna go with the ABS!! LIAR!!  :V:

[Faint]

Well I hav been a fan of sideview since FF7 or maybe even before. I just need a good script. Got any suggestions?

Calintz

Either Minkoff's Animated Battlers, or Enu's SVBS Tankentai XP.

[Faint]

I am such a pain in the butt, but do you have links for either  :^_^': if not thats cool.

Calintz

[Faint]

Calintz

[Faint]

Oh btw, I tried changing some of the colors for the sprites like you suggested and it didn't look right. So I tried darkening some and they looked the same yet just darker :wacko:

Calintz

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you did ... O_o.

[Faint]

Quote from: Calintz on October 13, 2009, 02:34:08 pm
I'm not sure I follow exactly what you did ... O_o.

I tried changing the Swatches I used IE, darkening some and such as you suggested. It just really didnt seem to make much of a positive difference.

When I compared these to the origional Sprites of this style made by Southerland, they appeared to fit in. I think it might just be this style. I have done regular RMXP sprites and they showed the contrast more, but then again like I said, I believe that is due to a smaller canvas size.

Calintz

I don't know about all that!!
You saw the new style I was doing ...

I kept good shading ...

[Faint]

Quote from: Calintz on October 13, 2009, 02:49:06 pm
I don't know about all that!!
You saw the new style I was doing ...

I kept good shading ...

I might just redo the whole color/shading scheme. what do you think? add maybe 2 more swatches?

Calintz

Anything with that level of detail should contain 5swatches minimum.
I shoot for 6mostly. 2lights, the base, 2shadows, and the outline are what I go with.

[Faint]

Calintz

legacyblade

Aye, I agree with Calintz on the shading bit. And I think it would be REALLY cool if you made those the in game on the map character sets. I'd want to play the game if I could wander around as those sprites :P

Calintz

Check out Rose's new game. He is using higher level charasets.

legacyblade

[Faint]

Ok I increased the amount of swatches and have redone the shading. Please tell me what you think. :^_^':

legacyblade

It's better, but the shading could do with more contrast (difference between the darker and the lighter colors). For most of them (except the blond hair), I'd say brighten the two lightest shades. For the blond hair, darken the two darkest shades. That should help a bit. Other than that, looking great.

[Faint]

October 15, 2009, 10:49:44 pm #44 Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 11:08:14 pm by [Faint]
alright cool. thanks btw :)   mainly just the hair then?

Calintz

They do look a hell of a lot better, but it seems that if you encounter a big area with no direction, you automatically resort to pillow shading. This looks bad at this high level of detail. Also, you may have added more swatches, but did you increase the amount of change between each of them?? There is barely no changing from one color to the next.

[Faint]

October 16, 2009, 08:36:10 pm #46 Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:56:07 pm by [Faint]
Yea i increased the amount of change between them. :( I even used black for some outlines. I will try to work on some of the "pillow shading", it's just a little bit hard to avoid it on some parts :^_^':  So could you give me some feed back as to what parts of what sprites could use work?

Cid

Looks good. Although one thing that stands out for me is the skull on the hat of the third character. He's facing an angle slightly, yet the skull is perfectly straight. If you shave off a layer of white pixels from the left (with the exception of the two next to the black pixels) I think it'd look better. You might want to dull the white a little, too. The brightness causes it to stand out a bit too much for my liking.

Anyway, nice work.  8)

Calintz

The large areas of cloth ...
The clothing dangling in front of the character's legs and such. In some instances, even the pants are pillow shaded.

[Faint]

ok will try to work on that. Kind of sick atm and it sucks because I never get sick..... :(