Free Computer Security in as easy as 1 - 2 - 3

Started by GAX, February 14, 2008, 12:09:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GAX

Okay, it's fairly simple actually.

First...IF YOU HAVE NORTON ANTI-VIRUS/SPYWARE/FIREWALL, DUMP IT IMMEDIATELY!

Norton is an inferior program that overcharges its customers and supplies false positives in order to make you believe it's working to make you believe it's working.

Here are the 3 things you can to secure your computer, and it's all free.

1) AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
http://free.grisoft.com
AVG Anti-Virus comes from Grisoft with the belief that security comes first, not profit.  This program is free to home users, and is an excellent anti-virus program.
2) Spybot - Search and Destroy
http://www.spybot.com
Spybot - Search and Destroy is another example of a people-come-first program.  Support comes from people who donate to the program's development, and the program itself it fairly simple to use.  It comes with a Resident Shield against system information changes (TeaTimer) and an Internet guardian that blocks bad downloads and sites (SDHelper).
3) Zonelabs Firewall
www.zonelabs.com
Free to home users, Zonelab's Firewall (Formally Zone Alert Firewall) is a powerful firewall that offers great protection against outsider threats (Hackers).

Computer Security shouldn't cost you a dime, and it's so simple, a child could be taught to do this.

Rule 2: ShowHide
Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Valcos

KicckkAaassss. Didnt know Norton was so crap. Im going to change it then  :o!
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar De La Hoya

Nortos

Sally

February 14, 2008, 06:25:50 am #3 Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 06:34:39 am by Susys
i was told downloadng anti-viruses were bad but becouse u l say its good il dwonload AVG :) thanks

ok, downloading AVG then im going to try to fix it and if it dosent work ill try spybot...

GAX

Downloading anti-virus programs isn't bad at all honestly.  The problem is that many people create false programs, or they'll take an existing anti-virus that has a good reputation and inject some malicious code into it, turning the program itself into a virus/malware/spyware. It's always a good idea to conduct your own research regarding different anti-virus programs before downloading anything, and you should exercise extreme caution regarding "Security Programs" that are advertised in popup messages (Whether they be Windows Popup Bubbles or popup windows on the internet).

A few simple rules regarding internet-advertised security programs:
1) Be extremely cautious of security programs advertised in banner ads and popups, as most of these will end up causing harm to your system.
2) If you're being charged to use the program, while the official site for the program says it's free, the version you are likely seeing is a scam.
3) If research regarding a program turns up positive (Program is legitimate), then only use download links supplied by the official company/company site.

Quote from: Rule No.2Keep your signatures at reasonable size. The pictures in your signature may altogether be no more than 200kB and take up an area of 1600px2. That means 2 pictures of 400x200 are fine, one picture of 800x200 is fine and so on. Also your pictures height must not exceed 200 pixels, width can be as big as you want as long as your pictures match the other criteria. Every signature not matching this criteria is a subject of the moderator team to remove and leave this rule as message in your signature.

Calintz

Thank you GAX. My subscription with McAfee ran out, and I've been looking for something that works well, and costs little. Better yet, these are free!! Thank you.

Sally

February 14, 2008, 04:59:36 pm #6 Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:01:51 pm by Susys
AVG is detecting,
C:\windows\system32\tiguinhb

as a bad thing can u guys see if u have that in your system32 folder?

downloadiong spybot...

Calintz

I just checked my System32 folder, and I DO NOT have that file in there...

GAX

Usually viruses end up affecting your registry (This is more common to Spyware though) or  core system folders.

AVG wont delete anything crucial, like a kernel file.

@Calanitz
Glad I could help, I'm just sick of hearing people get ripped off by the big-name companies when there are better alternatives that don't cost a dime.

Calintz

Exactly! Thats why I wasn't really willing to renew another year with McAfee...

Sally

February 14, 2008, 10:36:36 pm #10 Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:38:18 pm by Susys
Quote from: Calintz16438 on February 14, 2008, 05:18:01 pm
I just checked my System32 folder, and I DO NOT have that file in there...

QuoteAVG wont delete anything crucial, like a kernel file.

what do i sgest i do? MY COMPUTER IS FUCKED SO BADLY T__Ti know it is... im runnign a scan wiAVG now wile i sleep HOPEFULLY it will fix this! :)

and whewnever i open ie it pps up a pop up... just 1

Calintz

Sounds like you were doing something naughty!!

Sally

lol... i always do something nauty but this time... i diddent...

i cant tell  u what tho.. i dont want everyone to know..

GAX

You just have to be careful about where you surf.
Be wary of what you download, like if a website you don't trust wants you to install an ActiveX control, or if a popup asks you to download something and you don't know exactly what it is.

It's amazing, because these days, Common Sense in computing is becoming an Oxymoron, but luckily there are people like me who can help out in instilling some knowledge on how to keep yourself safe on the net.

;D ;D

Sally

hehe you should make a rly long topic about hints and tips and FAQs about how to be saf on the internet... but please dont put it in paragraf form lol i hate reading that :P make it like bulets

Calintz

That's why I just dwnloaded the free Mcafee Site Advisor...Let's you know if the site might be harmful...If so, GET THE HELL OUTTA THERE!!! Lol

legacyblade

I agree, norton is crap! I had a virus for months, then I switched to AVG. My computer was as fixed as that messed up hard drive would allow.

GAX

Yeah, I'm currently attempting to get my school district to go to using AVG under an education license, since it'd help computers speed up since we're currently using a symantec (Norton) anti-virus.

Sally

why dose a school need protection? tudents cant doi anything on the computers...

Nortos

Emails? I don't know how much at your schools internet is blocked but I can see a few ways to put viruses on them